ok so i can sing good metallica type metal and ive been asked to join a band and be vocals and rythm guitar so anyone have any tips for writing mettallica style riffs?
do this:
<chug chug chug note note note chug note note chug note chug note note note note> x4
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
know your and key signature and scales all the way up and down the neck. Thrash music usually has a lot of pedaling of the low note (root note of key) over verses and embellishes a V or III chord most commonly at the end of every phrase i.e. in 4/4 meter playing straight eight notes in the key of e minor, play the low E 15 times then on the 16th Eight note Play the G5 or the B5 chord ending the first line of the verse; do that 4 times and you have your verse. Use of perfect fourths in riffs is common too instead of the Open5 (power) chords.

Chorus's are quite varied IMO. Take a look at tabs for metallica, megadeth, slayer and anthrax songs and analyze what they do to get a better understanding of some standard movements and conventions you can do.

Bridges is usually a quick riff thrown in using the minor pentatonic or natural minor scale.

Solo sections usually go over the choruses or a modified version of the chorus or bridge

These are just some common things seen, so they are not like the holy bible to writing thrash metal. A lot of it is just play around until you hear something you dig and then expand on it. Again, analyze music of some other bands to check out what they've done.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
I wrote a big explanation of metal modes and scales in the metal/metalcore scales thread, so i wont repeat myself but basically the following scales work well in metal-

Phrygian
Locrian
Minor
Phrygian Dominant

Play around with palm muted phrases, especially involve the minor 3rd and 6th, this will give you a great melodic sort of sound. But if you want a more brutal and heavy sound, incorporate the flat 2nd in the phrygian scale and the flat5 in the locrian scale. Basically you need to make a riff that moves, so fast chugging and pinch harmonics are great. If you can imagine moshing to it, it's probably good enough.

Thrash often sticks to conventional structure, but MoP has lots of odd time riffs and progressive concepts. There are no real rules in structure, just figure out where you think the song is going and go there!

Good luck man!
Quote by shadowsoldier08
do this:
<chug chug chug note note note chug note note chug note chug note note note note> x4

hahaha
well,

if you want to write some riffs like in St. Anger,

just tune your guitar down to drop C, put a massive amount of gain,

then throw it on the ground and proceed to stomp on it.
Turquoise Team Beasts!
I wrote a big explanation of metal modes and scales in the metal/metalcore scales thread, so i wont repeat myself but basically the following scales work well in metal-

Phrygian
Locrian
Minor
Phrygian Dominant

Phrygian/Locrian - same notes as Natural Minor.

Phrygian Dominant's a mode of Harmonic Minor. Don't bother messing around with modes in Metallica style stuff, better off sticking to keys, as you can't use accidentals in modes.

Really Metallica's 80's stuff is mostly Natural Minor. Notes in A Natural Minor would be A B C D E F G. Like Myung-trucci said, add in the minor second and the flattened fifth, which would be a A# and D# respectively.
If you want a more exotic collection of notes, try changing the G to a G# for Harmonic Minor.

Then again, the main riff to MOP is chromatic...

Something that Metallica do when riff writing is "3+1". This is where they play a riff three times, then change it the fourth time to end it; e.g. Enter Sandman's main riff (I would add more riffs, but I'm drawing a blank right now ).
Call me Batman.