Okay I'm a beginner at these since I've never actually bought any stuff in a guitar shop before, and I'm scared of getting ripped off or something. This is another "What amp should I get?" topic.

Now that I've narrowed down my choices for a new guitar, an amp is the next step. I play mostly melodeath and other forms of metal, very rarely playing cleanly. I need a good amp that can handle distortion really well, for about 500$. I could add in a little more, but that's the range I have in mind. It's as a practice amp, and would love it if it could handle jamming, so a 30w amp sounded like a good idea.

I've heard about getting a Roland cube 30 or 30x(don't know the difference), or something like a tube amp. I'm not really knowing why these are good choices, or what's the difference(if you could explain it, it would be appreciated). My current amp is a MG15 and I am fully(if not 500% sure) aware that it's crap. I'm looking forward a really good amp for the price I mentionned, that handles what I play(which my MG isn't doing).

In other words, I need information so I don't just walk in and get ripped off by a seller that didn't even listen to what I said.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

The cube's are really good budget practice / recording amps, I'd recommend one of those.

Think used aswell, you can get a really good amp used. Play with them too, play as many amps as you can.
Yeah well my plan was to obviously try them in stores, but I need some infos on what I should look for, rather then just trying out random amps I come accross. I'd rather enter a shop with a bright idea of which type of amps, which brands etc that I should try.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

dont get a cube if you have 500$ i say get this best amp for the budget to do metal out of the box.
trust me man this is your amp, maybe all your ganna want is a bad monkey but other than that your set man, superb amp for the money, down the road all you need is a speaker swap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
but really dont get a cube if you have that money youll just be flushing it down the toilet. i got one and there great for what they are practice amps, and im just talking about the micro, other than that get a real amp.
Quote by TheKaiser77
dont get a cube if you have 500$ i say get this best amp for the budget to do metal out of the box.
trust me man this is your amp, maybe all your ganna want is a bad monkey but other than that your set man, superb amp for the money, down the road all you need is a speaker swap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
but really dont get a cube if you have that money youll just be flushing it down the toilet. i got one and there great for what they are practice amps, and im just talking about the micro, other than that get a real amp.

60w seems like a bit too much, It's gonna be mostly for practicing in my room.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
60w seems like a bit too much, It's gonna be mostly for practicing in my room.

I use 100watts of tube for my bedroom.

Just have a look around. Maybe like a Peavey royal 8? I think that's the name anyway..
Signatures are overrated.