I really am on the verge of quiting guitar forever, Its the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I've been playing 8 months and this last 2 months I've gotten like a lot worse considering I don't feel like practicing anymore. I don't know what it is... people tell me to take breaks and I have and tried to play again but I just cant play anymore. I'm sick of it. I wanna just give up and not play anymore because I know like no theory, scales or chords only maybe some basics... and every time for the last month I've gone to pick up the guitar to try to learn something or play and I just don't feel like it, too lazy, or always end up in frustration. If I quit I have a feeling I'm going to regret it but if I keep playing I have a feeling its just going to cause me more headaches and make me becoem more crazy. I forgot a lot of the things I learned from before too and I just don't see a point in playing. I dunno what to do I am really trying to think this through. And I know most of you are gonna say "its only 8 months, 8 months is nothing." But I blow hard, I've seen kids starting to get REALLY AWESOME around that time. I'm ADD with guitar and get bored really fast. Sorry if I sound whiny or whatever but I am just not having fun with this hobbie its more like a chore.
Last edited by Kash1333 at Jul 27, 2008,
all i can say is kept at it because some people learn slower than others
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
I feel the exact same way.. well, I've like read through every music theory lesson for super noob beginners, and I'm just completely lost when it comes to key of C's, intervals, circle of fifths (wtf?), and the scales of A, B, C, D, E, F and minor major, and when I saw root, tonic, subordinate, subdominant whatever notes, I just about threw my guitar lesson book trying to explain it out the glass window in my room. But I still after all the confusion, I still have the strongest interest and motivation and passion for guitars (guitar hero, loving rock music, like obsessed with guitars, I almost come to this website 4 times a day just looking at how others are so pro here). But man, I've had my guitar for a year and a half, I just always practice and practice really hard for a few days then give up for a couple months or so, but my motivation is stronger than ever, I don't get bored practicing the guitar, I just feel like I make no progress what so ever, just ending up playing 2 chords for half an hour then go play guitar hero for 2 hours (I really need to break that habit..). So yea, i feel how you feel.
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
get a teacher. some people are able to teach them selves and progress very fast and some just can't. learning from a teacher can do wonders. i've been playing for 6 years and my playing has gotten stale so i got a teacher and he has opened my eyes to so many different ideas.
if you are looking for a way to motivate your self to play, set goals and challenges for yourself, pla something you wouldn't normally play, explore some new music.
Thats what worked for me, i was getting sick of just having an acoustic, and i was geting fed up with playing, but then i discovered Satch, and that motivated me to play again, i wanted to eventually be like him

We all have to start some where, its just about having fun, and you don't HAVE to know theory, it helps, but isn't essential. Look at Eddie Van Halen, this is what he says about theory. "I've never taken a lesson in my life, this scale, that scale, it doesn't mean any thing to me, the way i see it is this, you've got 12 notes to work with, do whatever you want with them"
Bro, everyone goes through a slump period. I've been playing a bit over a year and I had a slump too. Guitar's not even knowing about "theory", or "scales," it's about doing your own thing and feeling comfortable and into what you're playing. I advise going over everything I know, and maybe learn a few easy songs and eventually work your way up. Scales are also always good to learn and practice, but you shouldn't worry about it right now. And as for other people becoming "amazing" around 8 months... everyone learns at a different pace. If it takes you 2 years to become good, it doesn't matter, because you're still good, and you'll still be happy to play.

Hope that helps you think about it man.
If your life was a song, would you sing my name?
Find a good teacher as already stated and don't worry about theory right now. Just try to get into it, play songs that interest you, play simple things, don't worry about learning twelve thousand scales and chords in only eight months.

I've been playing for about a year and four months, and I've already excelled past my friends who have been playing for years. They get lazy and don't bother with it, I play all the time. But that's because I have no life, play in your own time, and don't worry about being better than everybody else.

Play to have fun. I've had the same experiences as you, everybody goes through this at some point.
Dorkus.
Guitar isn't for everyone. I'm sure you have other interests.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
ur just in kind of a slump if you dont wanna play u dont need to just get some inspiration and learn 1 new trick it will make you feel alot better about yourself by just learning 1 new thing
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Hi : )!

Dude you need chill, it's "just" guitar ya know. I've seen all kinds of stuff, like people making huge progress in the first months, already reaping out solos and stuff and then... all of a sudden nothing more, they stay stucked. There's also those who made very small progress (if none at all) and suddenly they're blowing you away before you even notice it. Everybody needs his own pace I guess.

But one thing is true (and this is quite helpful if you wanna move forward, I think): You'll always wish you could be a better player than you actually are, sad but true ! Almost every skilled player I know feels that way (be it on drums, guitar, bass or whatever). I mean I've been playing for like three years, and there's stuff I realized I'll probably never know, 'cause now I know myself better as a player, I know where I'm at. And this comes only with time, 'cause progress is not only learning new chords and shredding licks. I's a whole (like develloping your ear, knowing when your off, nailing a beat and so on...).

There's always be a bit of frustration somewhere, but you gotta learn to enjoy what have achieved too, not only focus on what you haven't.

Yeah, sounds a bit corny but it's based on my experience : )!
If youre not having fun, then give up!! Don't turn it into "work" if you cant enjoy it. I've been playing for 7 years. I only really know a handful of songs, a couple of scales and mostly just the basics. I just like to pick it up and jam, for fun. I used to try to learn all that stuff, but it bored the heck out of me and became "work." Now, just by playing a having fun, i've actually gotten pretty good. I can jump in with a bassist and drummer and just make something up and jam for hours. If guitar isnt your thing, but you love music, try bass, drums or singing or whatever....If all else fails, theres always Guitar Hero!! lol
Quote by piecies_81
If youre not having fun, then give up!! Don't turn it into "work" if you cant enjoy it. I've been playing for 7 years. I only really know a handful of songs, a couple of scales and mostly just the basics. I just like to pick it up and jam, for fun. I used to try to learn all that stuff, but it bored the heck out of me and became "work." Now, just by playing a having fun, i've actually gotten pretty good. I can jump in with a bassist and drummer and just make something up and jam for hours. If guitar isnt your thing, but you love music, try bass, drums or singing or whatever....If all else fails, theres always Guitar Hero!! lol

+1

i enjoy my guitar alot, and even though i kinda suck, i like to just sit down and play it.

Its a cheap yahama acoustic, nothing special.

I have a friend who has a les paul custom, and its just sitting in his room collecting dust.
He says he has not drive to learn it, so there fore he odesnt.

better to do stuff you love than do stuff you hate and feel like sh!t.
Good motivation is thinking of what a waste of money the guitar was if you just quit. That's what I remind myself of whenever I feel like giving up. Not to mention the 8 months of devotion.
Kash1333, seems like you're building up too much pressure. Stop caring about how good others are or how fast others are developping. Try to find pleasure in the playing itself.

What are your favourite musicians? Try to get some tabs of your favourite songs and learn them. Talking about me, as soon as I've succeeded in playing the first few notes of a song I love, I get really enthusiastic about learning it completely. If a song is too difficult at first, try to do some technical excercises that you think might be helpful (e.g. for building speed / changing chords). That's what keeps me playing every day. You don't have to follow a certain schedule - learn what you really want to play while building the specific technical skills you need.
That's just my point of view, others may disagree here.
Playing the guitar isn't for everyone. To get good at it takes a lot of time and dedication on your part, plus some lessons to insure you're learning the correct things. To excel at guitar takes years of effort. Kids nowadays somehow seem to think that they can just pick one up and ba-bam, they're pro's at it in less than a year. Not true, and not wise either.
Unless you are a prodigy and guitaring, or music in general, just comes naturally to you, you have to work at it to get good. Yes, it's going to feel like a chore sometimes, and it is work. But it's also very rewarding later on when you can play that riff, or song, flawlessly and impress the **** out of everyone around you.
I've never seen anyone become "amazing" after 6 months - besides you can't judge yourself on what others do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like you really want to learn to play the guitar - it sounds like you want to be able to play it, but not have to put the time or effort in. You haven't mentioned anything you enjoy about it, or any songs you can play. All you've mentioned is the fact that other people are better than you...and there will ALWAYS be people better than you.

Learning the guitar is hard, and takes a long time. You also have to do a lot of things that seem "boring" to perhaps get to the point where you'd ideally like to be. That should not be an issue though, if you want to play the instrument then you should be enjoying everything about learning to play it. Some things may seem tedious or not that exciting, but what they lead on to should be more than enough motivation to learn them and get better....it certainly was for me.

If you don't have the patience, motivation, discipline or desire to stick at it, and if all you're worried about is how "good" you are as opposed to objectively focussing on what you can do and where to go next then perhaps the guitar isn't for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dude whenever i get sick of guitar i just listen to music that inspires me to play, in my case I always listen to Rush, im not too good either, but whenever i listen to them i get inspired dunno though works for me
Quote by Kash1333
I really am on the verge of quiting guitar forever, Its the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I've been playing 8 months and this last 2 months I've gotten like a lot worse considering I don't feel like practicing anymore. I don't know what it is... people tell me to take breaks and I have and tried to play again but I just cant play anymore. I'm sick of it. I wanna just give up and not play anymore because I know like no theory, scales or chords only maybe some basics... and every time for the last month I've gone to pick up the guitar to try to learn something or play and I just don't feel like it, too lazy, or always end up in frustration. If I quit I have a feeling I'm going to regret it but if I keep playing I have a feeling its just going to cause me more headaches and make me becoem more crazy. I forgot a lot of the things I learned from before too and I just don't see a point in playing. I dunno what to do I am really trying to think this through. And I know most of you are gonna say "its only 8 months, 8 months is nothing." But I blow hard, I've seen kids starting to get REALLY AWESOME around that time. I'm ADD with guitar and get bored really fast. Sorry if I sound whiny or whatever but I am just not having fun with this hobbie its more like a chore.

Quit.

It's not an easy hobby. If you don't have the motivation to play, don't play. Maybe the motivation will come back in a little while. Maybe it won't. Who cares?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Guitar isnt for everybody. If you dont enjoy doing it may be time to quit while your ahead. But 8 months isnt that long when it comes to playing guitar. You gotta do some thing so you will see some progress. Learn some exercises and do em each day. Learn some scales do those each day. Try not to kill your self trying to learn EVH at first. Work on easier stuff. The rhythm guitar from early AC/DC is really easy to learn. But if you cant get a riff the first day dont let it get you down, work on something else and come back to it another day. And dont worry about how others are progressing Im never going to be as good as jimmi page not a big deal the guys been playing guitar longer than Ive been alive.
i've only been playing for about 8 months too, but dude, u shouldnt give up just cause its hard, and u get frustrated, keep at it man. i get pis*ed off too but i just keep trying. and i know it feels like ur not good yet, but if u keep at it u might become good, dont give up tho, because thats what cowards do, they just give up if something is too hard, have some faith, good luck dude
dude, you're retarded... if you're just playing guitar to want to get better, then you lost the point of it... guitar is supposed to be fun, not serious. if your motives are to just to get better then go ahead and give up. playing guitar has two ultimate goals: 1. play what you want, how you want, and how you want is the very main goal. 2 is the side goal, its to get better. getting better is the very least of your problems! is you just focus on #1 then #2 will just follow along without you even knowing it.
If you need some inspiration go see one of your favorite bands live. I saw a concert where it was all Led Zeppelin Music, and the next week straight I probably played 8 hours each day (thank god for calluses). Hearing your favorite songs could help motivate you to learn those songs or just play period.
LOOK WHATEVER YOU DO PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE QUITTING:

I was the same like you i felt like quitting, but after the 1st month, this is the 2nd month of me playing guitar and i've seen much improvements. I've felt that i turned around by doing these:

1. WHAT THE **** DO YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO PLAY? If it's heavy metal don't go about practicing blink 182 songs. WHY? Because of course these songs don't give you what you wanna hear and don't force you to learn the techniques and styles of playing of one genre.

2. PRACTICE STRETCHES, ALTERNATE PICKING, FINGER WORKOUTS. During the 1st month of playing it would take me 2-3 weeks to learn a song. After I failed at learning Hey You (Pink Floyd) I learned what was lacking (FINGER MOVEMENT) Since then I've decided to do a finger routine (I WILL POST THIS) everyday for atleast 30 minutes a day. I still do it now, but i break it up into parts (I'll do some of it in the morning, before bed, etc.) Doing this workout I've seen great improvements I mean, Hey You took me 2 weeks to learn (THE SOLO) a week ago i tried the solo and played it perfectly

3. FORGET THEORY, you don't need it right now, you MAY need it later (this depends on your goals concerning guitar) I mean do you just wanna be able to play some songs for enjoyment and impress some friends or do you wanna make guitar a hobby where you record or do you wanna be a guitarist for a band?
Being a real guitarist you have to be patient.

Which from what I see you aren't. My advice to you is, if you are not in it for the love then time to stop.
Quote by randomhero93
dude, you're retarded... if you're just playing guitar to want to get better, then you lost the point of it... guitar is supposed to be fun, not serious. if your motives are to just to get better then go ahead and give up. playing guitar has two ultimate goals: 1. play what you want, how you want, and how you want is the very main goal. 2 is the side goal, its to get better. getting better is the very least of your problems! is you just focus on #1 then #2 will just follow along without you even knowing it.

I DID play for fun! All I wanted to do was play guitar I played for hours and hours everyday till bout half a year. People I know always compare themselves to others so much and I see and hear it all the time. My friends always do it. And it just caught up to me and now I think like that, and they put me down like crazy when I play, "Thats a newbie riff, try learning harder stuff or your gonna suck". Well I am not their friends anymore... so bad thing is I have absolutely no one to jam with, but on the better side I wont get made fun of for playing what I am playing. But every time they'd say something like that I just got so angry and I started playing just to get better and thats all I ever thought about since the put downs got to me.

Anyways I ain't quiting I over exaggerated a bit but I am going to look into another genre for as while because I also kinda find myself getting bored of metal. Probably try some blues, Jimmy Hendrix, SRV and what not.
Last edited by Kash1333 at Jul 27, 2008,
If you're worried about people not liking what you play, then get used to it. There are always going to be people who want to bring you down, it's just a part of life. Play for yourself. You don't suck, you're learning.

Everyone progresses differently in this instrument. We all have different abilities, strengths, weaknesses, tastes and ideas. Playing for the satisfaction of your friends instead of yourself is a sure-fire way to get frustrated, as you seem to have experienced.

You've only been playing 8 months, that's still a young pup as guitar is concerned. Paitents is probably one of the best things you can learn if you want to progress, it doesn't happen overnight. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

As for theory, there's nothing stopping you from learning it on your own. There's a great series of articles on the main U-G site called "The Crusade". It's full of the exercises, concepts, scales, and chords you'll need to get started learning theory. Don't think of theory as this big mysterious thing that only certain guitarists learn. It's the language of guitar, and if you're gonna live in Italy, better learn Italian, dig?

I hope for your sake you stick with it, the rewards you have coming in the future far outweigh what trials you're experiencing now, however it'll take a lot of dedication on your part. Best of luck.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Kash1333
I DID play for fun! All I wanted to do was play guitar I played for hours and hours everyday till bout half a year. People I know always compare themselves to others so much and I see and hear it all the time. My friends always do it. And it just caught up to me and now I think like that, and they put me down like crazy when I play, "Thats a newbie riff, try learning harder stuff or your gonna suck". Well I am not their friends anymore... so bad thing is I have absolutely no one to jam with, but on the better side I wont get made fun of for playing what I am playing. But every time they'd say something like that I just got so angry and I started playing just to get better and thats all I ever thought about since the put downs got to me.

Anyways I ain't quiting I over exaggerated a bit but I am going to look into another genre for as while because I also kinda find myself getting bored of metal. Probably try some blues, Jimmy Hendrix, SRV and what not.

As a general suggestion i'd recommend jazz over blues, why? Because with jazz well first of all imho opinion JAZZ IS THE ULTIMATE GENRE from which all music genres have descended from. I mean go back and explore some early jazz works from the greats like herbie, and miles davis, and coltraine, rollins, the list goes on and on, you really have to give credit to these guys and IMHO if you can play and compose jazz, you can improvise in every other genre. I mean there's a reason why almost every instrument ever made has been used in a JAZZ SONG, because its the most revolutionary and progressive genre, its possibilities are endless?
However jazz is also hellishly difficult and requires a comprehensive working knowledge of theory to be able to pull it off convincingly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
However jazz is also hellishly difficult and requires a comprehensive working knowledge of theory to be able to pull it off convincingly

trudat but i do it to progress and staying progressive is what moves you to a higher level playing, am i wrong?
Quote by dxtreme
trudat but i do it to progress and staying progressive is what moves you to a higher level playing, am i wrong?

Not necessarily - there's no point trying to shoot too far ahead becasue you just hit a brick wall. The most constructive way to do it is to set yourself realistic, short-term goals...that way you'll progress faster, and at the same time actually feel like you're progressing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Just quit, give up. What guitar and amp have you got? Any good? Are they for sale then?

Take a break, and then start listening to your fav music, go into any guitar shop, have a scope round at all the nice shiney guitars, amps effects. Get the desire back and start playing. Before you know it you'll be playing lead on stage, with the crowd saying, "wow" and girls will be throwing their knickers at you. Stick at it.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
You need to go and find new artists to listen to. Finding streaming radio stations in your iTunes and listen to those. Go onto Pandora.com and put in your favorite artists to find similar ones. Also check out the music forums here, they usually have a list of recommended artists.

This helped me alot so just try it.
A few points.

1. No one ever said you have to play guitar. If your not enjoying and don't look forward to playing it, it may be time to move on.

2. Guitar is hard. It's easy to get overwhelmed with the shear volume of different things one has to learn in order to play. It gets easier with practice but it takes a lot of it.

3. Guitar playing is not a contest. There is no time limit on what to learn by when.

4. Burn-out is the single biggest obsticle for new guitarists to overcome. Everyone who learns the guitar gets flustrated at some point. But the ones who keep with it are the ones who figure out how to keep inspired and how to keep learning fun.