Up until yesterday i've been learning guitar on a Fender Squier (and getting a lot of flak for having a piece of crap guitar in the electrical guitar world.)

Until today, when my dad brought home my late birthday present, a Schecter Omen-6.

But i'm curious:
1. Is Schecter a good brand? I know it's no Gibson, but is it better than a Squier?
2. It came with much thicker strings than my Squier; are there any advantages/disadvantages to having these for learning metal? And would it be more beneficial to learn on thicker strings or go back to what i'm used to? (I think my Squier has 9's and the Schecter feels like 12's, according to the shop owner.)
3. In your opinion, what would be a good guitar to upgrade to (that will probably be my final one for quite a while) after my Omen? And please don't say Gibson, I don't have a job (yet, I turned 16 on July 25th. xD)

Thanks for any answers.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

The Shecter should be great for awhile. Look at upgrading your amp if it's low-grade; your amp is 80% of your tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Shecter should be great for awhile. Look at upgrading your amp if it's low-grade; your amp is 80% of your tone.

Very good point, I gotta get rid of the crappy starter amp that came with my Squier. xD
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

schecter is an amazing company.
dont thinnk Gibsons are "the best" just because ppl say they are, and they are expensive.
tons of amazing players play on differetn companies of guitars than gibsons...
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I've heard Schecter are a good brand for metal. Don't know about your model tho. It's definatly better then a Squier.

The strings gauge depends for what kind of tuning you play in. If you don't like them, switch to thinner gauge like 0.010's.

As for the brand of guitar it depends on you. If you play mostly metal, Schecters, Ibanez's, ESPs and Jacksons are pretty nice. For rock, Fender is a good bet. You'll have to try them out and find out which one you love the most.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 27, 2008,
1. Is Schecter a good brand? I know it's no Gibson, but is it better than a Squier?

Schecter is a fantastic brand. They may even have a better reputation than Gibson in my opinion. Gibsons have the reputation of great, but waaaay overpriced guitars that are not worth it unless you wipe your ass with cash. Schecters have the rep of great guitar, great price, great everything if you like those necks. The particular Schecter you have is low end, but you don't even need to worry about getting another guitar for years unless you need a backup. Like the other guy said, upgrading your guitar isn't as important as your amplifier. He said 80%, but I'd go so far as to say that your amp is 95% of your tone.

To address the string thing: Thicker strings are better for metal, which is what you said you're interested in playing. The thicker strings do better in dropped tunings, which are what metal is played in.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with Squier. My Squier Strat is the best guitar I've owned, and I've owned a PRS SE, an Ibanez RG, an Epiphone Dot Studio, an Epiphone Les Paul, and a few more. You just have to pick a good one, because their QC is not very good.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Link.JohnIrving at Jul 27, 2008,
I don't know all that much about metal guitars, but it seems very good. My suggestion, though, would be for you to go to some standard strings (or not) and learn a bunch of different styles of music.

Once you learn more than one genre of music, your way of playing changes incredibly, and you look at music differently. It really helps you out in the long run.
Dorkus.
Once you learn more than one genre of music, your way of playing changes incredibly, and you look at music differently. It really helps you out in the long run.

That is so true. When I started I thought I only wanted to play metal. Now, I play everything from Chilli Peppers to Ritchie Valens to Metallica. So maybe you should stay with standard strings until you know what you want to play.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Now, I play everything from Chilli Peppers to Ritchie Valens to Metallica.

I was thinking more along the lines of Jazz, Blues, Classical, Classic Rock, Metal, Funk, Reggae, etc. But that works too...
Dorkus.
lol at the last few responses. I honestly want to start on metal (having a Metallica shirt for every day of the week, it's practically mandatory), but once I get better i'll probably move to deeper stuff (blues, Classical, and i've always wondered what it'd be like to play Techno on guitar. xD)

Quote by Shortcut
I was thinking more along the lines of Jazz, Blues, Classical, Classic Rock, Metal, Funk, Reggae, etc. But that works too...

I knew what you meant. Just thought I'd narrow it down more by saying band names.

lol at the last few responses. I honestly want to start on metal (having a Metallica shirt for every day of the week, it's practically mandatory), but once I get better i'll probably move to deeper stuff (blues, Classical, and i've always wondered what it'd be like to play Techno on guitar. xD)

Then there you go. Leave the heavier strings on and have a good time.