Hi. I have been playing guitar for a good two years now, and i feel like i am on the verge of quitting it all together because I have gotten to the point where I just want to give up because I know I suck. I don't excel at one thing at the guitar. I know minimal theory, only like 2 scales no matter how hard I try to learn them, and have sub-par soloing and rhythm skills for the amount of time i have been playing.

to make matters worse, my friend who has been playing as long as I have is about 50 times better than me, and makes me feel like **** because he's freaking amazing at guitar in every aspect. After watching him shred like a pro, i just can't deal with the fact that I suck so hard. I don't know where to go with my playing, because I just end up realizing that no matter how much i practice, i don't seem to get better. My solos are just the same box position pentatonic minor crap every time, and i even get tired of listening to me playing.

I don't know how to break out of this situation and improve on my guitar skills. I really wanna be able to play like Kirk Hammett, and I find myself trying to figure our how to play some Metallica solos, and i just end up stopping because i cant do anything he does at all, no matter how many times i break the solos up into small segments. i just cant grasp anything.

at times i love guitar, but at times i just hate it because i feel like at 2 years i should be much better than where i am right now. what should i do to feel better about my playing and stuff?

Honestly i know im not bad. I am alright at best but i need to learn a way to spice up my solos and break out of the pentatonic minor position 1 and 2 wankery. i look at some people's playing and i get depressed because i know that i can never be that good.

help me plz
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Last edited by Hirschberger at Jul 27, 2008,
1. You can do better than Kirk Hammet as a musical hero

2. Yes, you should definitely give up all together because something seems hard.
Kirk Hammetts not my only musical hero.

Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Clapton, SRV, and Steve Vai to name a few

and i really dont want to quit. i just need suggestions for getting better.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Kirk Hammett is a great hero, partially because his playing is within reach...its still difficult, but if you have for example paul gilbert as a hero, well you may never be satisfied....as for getting better focus on something much simpler such as an acdc solo, that you know you can master or get down good in a short amount of time. This will build confidence and give you some satisfaction, it will also show you how to sound flashy and good without ridiculous technique...for my first few years all i thought bout was bein as good as hammet and got nowhere because i never built up to it, now after 5 years i still dont play nearly as well as him, but im slowly getting there by even playing melodic solos like the eagles, and enjoying it. Lastly, remember those guys werent what they are today after 2 years, and if they were, well they were prodigies, and you cant compare yourself to that.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
improvising isnt easy bro...

i suggest you try listening to other styles of music like jazz, bluegrass, etc...

just stuff you dont usually listen to...

try learning some of that kind of stuff and incorporate it into your playing as best you can,
then go back to the old stuff and see if anything changes...=]]

idk it helped me so yea
Thanks guys for all your suggestions and advice.

Its just sort of odd how at times i am pretty confident and not mad about my playing at all, and at other times i am just completely down on myself. i am guitar bi-polar i guess
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Kirks Hammet's my guitar hero..

dont worry about it, have you learnt any songs at all? dont worry about the solos yet, try taking a break, you can take as long as you want and then later on get back to playing, its probably your learning schedule, go to justinguitar.com (or any other teaching site) and start over from the beginner section and get a fresh start
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
Kirks Hammet's my guitar hero..

dont worry about it, have you learnt any songs at all? dont worry about the solos yet, try taking a break, you can take as long as you want and then later on get back to playing, its probably your learning schedule, go to justinguitar.com (or any other teaching site) and start over from the beginner section and get a fresh start

well i have learnt some songs of course but they need to be polished up a bit.

for metallica i know fade to black pretty well right now up until the last solo, and im working on creeping death (excluding the solo as i am nowhere near that level, and Master of Puppets (again excluding the last solo).

I know other songs but i have really been focusing on metallica lately and just want to get to that Kirk Hammett level so badly... i guess i am trying to hard

And i also dont really have a practice schedule. like i have a teacher and i told him that i want to start from the beginning of theory just to learn it all, so i am currently doing that, but with regards to playing, i have no idea where to go.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
you probably know all the basic open chords+minor chords, if not, GO LEARN!!
you know your barre chords? power chords?

you should start learning advanced techniques like sweeping and tapping
and do you know how to alternate pick?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
you probably know all the basic open chords+minor chords, if not, GO LEARN!!
you know your barre chords? power chords?

you should start learning advanced techniques like sweeping and tapping
and do you know how to alternate pick?

of course I know my open chords and my barre chords.. I have been playing for 2 years I'm just sloppy. I can tap alright but can't sweep. I can alternate pick.

my confidence level is just low with my overall playing cuz I set my standards to high.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Grab your metronome and play minor pentatonic for hours until you can do it at 180 BPM sixteenth notes. Yeah that's quite enough. That's what Kirk did and Zakk and so on...

No sweep until good alternate. Sweeps are just to be flashy and advenced type songs later on. Alternate is the number one necessity for shredding.

EDIT : Oh so you're tired of pentatonic. Then learn harmonic minor scale and apply the same thing to it. Good old Yngwie style.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
Grab your metronome and play minor pentatonic for hours until you can do it at 180 BPM sixteenth notes. Yeah that's quite enough. That's what Kirk did and Zakk and so on...

No sweep until good alternate. Sweeps are just to be flashy and advenced type songs later on. Alternate is the number one necessity for shredding.

EDIT : Oh so you're tired of pentatonic. Then learn harmonic minor scale and apply the same thing to it. Good old Yngwie style.

I am not tired of the pentatonic, just tired of the same pentatonic patterns so to say, because i cant really play fast its the same slow melodic licks.

So ill do both pentatonic and harmonic minor on the metronome. thanks dude that's a really good idea.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
I am not tired of the pentatonic, just tired of the same pentatonic patterns so to say, because i cant really play fast its the same slow melodic licks.

So ill do both pentatonic and harmonic minor on the metronome. thanks dude that's a really good idea.

No problem man. Just remember to tap your foot or nod your head along with the metronome. That's something i always say. While the metronome allows to to play in tempo you should have gained an inner sense of rhythm that you can play on your own without a metronome as if you're playing with it. Make it your slave, don't be a slave to it.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Last edited by Attack at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by Attack
No problem man. Just remember to tap your foot or nod your head along with the metronome. That's something i always say. While the metronome allows to to play in tempo you should have gained an inner sense of rhythm that you can play on your own without a metronome as if you're playing with it. Make it you slave, don't be a slave to it.

alright. thanks dude!
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby