Why hello there,

Currently I own a Marshall 15CDR amp and a Boss MT-2 pedal. Great for practicing for a while, but I'm after something a fair bit louder, with better tone etc..

At the moment I"m currently looking at the following 2 amps, they cost the same amount (or around there so there's no point splitting hairs). About $850 NZD.
Marshall Valve state 100DFX
Peavey Valve King 112

The above amps both have positive reviews against them and after looking at them people seem satisfied with 1 or the other, but I would like to hear the thoughts of people on these forums regarding these amps. I could also look at a Peavey Bandit 112, but I'm not sure what the difference is (just a solid state version of the Valve King eh?). If there are any other recommendations I'm open to it, second hand Frontman maybe?

I currently play anything that's fun to play, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Clapton, AC/DC etc.. and will be using my MIM Strat for a while so there's no guitar update in the near future.

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I haven't heard anything of that Marshall but I can tell you that the Valve King will be really good for Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden and AC/DC. I dont know about Clapton, I havent listened to much of his stuff. The valve king is also very versatile as well.
i have the valve king...ands its sick...id even say that you should save a little more money and buy the half stack. its such a versitile amp and it really can do all types of music..im posting a video review of it in the next couple weeks so stay tuned...
Hrmm, I had looked more closely at the Valveking more than the Marshall. Are there any other amps out there I should consider instead of the valveking? I'm open to suggestions

Edit: damn, people responded before I could as well. I'll look out for the randall but I"m not sure how easy they are to get in NZ

Mah Gear
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by HonorableGoat
Hrmm, I had looked more closely at the Valveking more than the Marshall. Are there any other amps out there I should consider instead of the valveking? I'm open to suggestions

Edit: damn, people responded before I could as well. I'll look out for the randall but I"m not sure how easy they are to get in NZ

Hmmm, maybe if you're looking for more classic rock amp. Peavey Classic 30, not sure on how much it cost though.
I'm not sure I could afford a half stack, those are quite expensive over here

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by unholy_love
Hmmm, maybe if you're looking for more classic rock amp. Peavey Classic 30, not sure on how much it cost though.

Hrmm, I'll have a look around for those as well. Looking for around a 50w if possible, I'm guessing just by the title thats a 30w amp?

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by HonorableGoat
I'm not sure I could afford a half stack, those are quite expensive over here

Dude just get the Randall RG50TC combo. Seriously it's got great metal tones and nice cleans - blows the VK out of the water.

(you fail if get the VK)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Dude just get the Randall RG50TC combo. Seriously it's got great metal tones and nice cleans - blows the VK out of the water.

(you fail if get the VK)

I can look out for it no problem, not sure how easy Randall amps are to get in NZ (if we can get them)

(I don't fail if the Randall isn't available)

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I've found a place locally that seems to have Randall as well as other Peavey amps, I might go and have a look this week. Will inquire about the RG50TC combo as well.

Thanks for the help so far, keep 'em coming if you have other ideas

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

New Zealand Dollars :p

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by HonorableGoat
I've found a place locally that seems to have Randall as well as other Peavey amps, I might go and have a look this week. Will inquire about the RG50TC combo as well.

Thanks for the help so far, keep 'em coming if you have other ideas

Will do .
try looking for the amp i mentioned, and definatelly check out the randall.
the valveking is watever compated to the the B-52AT12 or the randall this guy mentioned.
Alright, so far my list to look at further is:
Peavey Valveking112
Roland RG50TC
B-52AT12

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Peavey 5150
Classic 30
Crate Palomino Series

All of these are good choices. The Classic 30 and Crate have amazing cleans and can get quite a bit of dist. But not enough for you though without a pedal. I think you're best off with a Peavey 5150 combo.
Quote by DiMeTiMe

(you fail if get the VK)

can you please not make such ignorant comments.

it is rather offensive to some.

maybe next time be more polite and curtious to others and make a suggestion without such a rediculous statement.
Quote by jman007_93
Peavey 5150
Classic 30
Crate Palomino Series

All of these are good choices. The Classic 30 and Crate have amazing cleans and can get quite a bit of dist. But not enough for you though without a pedal. I think you're best off with a Peavey 5150 combo.

I'll have a look around for one of those, I'm guessing they're going to be a bit out of my price range though :S

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70