Epiphone les paul studio through randall g3. I play metal primarily and I definitely want clarity in shredding. However i like to clean it up now and then so a little versatility would be ideal. How terrible of an idea would Evolutions be? I almost feel embarassed for asking.

And before you say it, yes i know my guitar is not exactly built for metal. What can I say? I'm a typical broke musician.

Oh and EMG's are out of the question.

Thx
I'd stay away from the evolutions

try

Bridge - Dimarzio Super Distortion
Neck - Dimarzio Breed
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you want to have that active pickup sound minus the battery and running out of headroom which creates peaks in volumes and compression check out the Dimarzio D Activators. They're great for metal. They sound a lot like active pickups but can do great cleans and are passive. there's a vid on youtube from guitarworld if u wanna check them out.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by JLT73
Bridge - Dimarzio Super Distortion

I was always afraid that any pickup that has the word "distortion" in the name would have terrible cleans. I guess I don't use the bridge pup too much for cleans but still, it's nice to know that if i need to I can. Maybe I'm wrong, i dunno.

Quote by evening_crow
If you want to have that active pickup sound minus the battery and running out of headroom which creates peaks in volumes and compression check out the Dimarzio D Activators. They're great for metal. They sound a lot like active pickups but can do great cleans and are passive. there's a vid on youtube from guitarworld if u wanna check them out.

Yeah I've seen that and was actually considering a set. Again it's the paranoia of having pups that sound great distorted but really suffer on the cleans. And I wouldn't really know to be honest, that's why I'm posting here, but I kind of figured that those pickups would suffer from a lack of versatility. If you're telling me otherwise I will give this option due consideration.

If it helps at all, some of the tones I would like to emulate are that of Between the buried and me, necrophagist, the faceless, sikth etc. you get the idea. Metal with a twist.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo

The cleans seem good on the video. I've been considering getting the bridge one too with a Paf Pro on the neck but i'm also kinda iffy about it.

They seem like they'll be good for u though.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Kurt Russell
I was always afraid that any pickup that has the word "distortion" in the name would have terrible cleans. I guess I don't use the bridge pup too much for cleans but still, it's nice to know that if i need to I can. Maybe I'm wrong, i dunno.

even though it has the word distortion in the title, it is actually a very good clean pickup.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
evos would probably be alright for shredding. my main concerns would be (a) how versatile they are for non-shred and (b) how they sound in a les paul.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm thinking a pair of Swineshead Venoms might be worth a shout here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
evos would probably be alright for shredding. my main concerns would be (a) how versatile they are for non-shred and (b) how they sound in a les paul.

Yeah I've heard evos don't sound too good in mahogany so that's a concern. I don't know how true it is though.

Quote by steven seagull
I'm thinking a pair of Swineshead Venoms might be worth a shout here.

Interesting. I had never heard of them until you threw this idea at me. I checked out the website and these are indeed very appealing to me. I'll have to do some more shopping around before I make a final decision but I am definitely interested in these. Thanks!

MOAR
only problem with swinesheads is that they're UK-based. not a major problem, just you might have slightly better-value handwound pickups in the states which'd also be worth considering... wolfetone, wcr, stephens design, etc. etc. (i haven't tried any of those)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?