I want to start a band with my friends. Me on guitar, my freind of guitar and my other freind on drums and we will look for a bass player.

Question 1: Different Influences?

I'm into all sorts of stuff. Grunge, Every type of metal (Black metal, death metal, thrash, power, metal core etc) Techno, Industrial The list goes on. I like every western genre except pop and pop-punk.

The other guys though like mainstream pop/pop-punk and SOME metal.

Do you think this might cause conflicts?

And Question 2: Singing

I don't mind singing. I'm not bad (Not great though) but i can get a Kurt Cobain type tone. The guitarist is epic phail at singing (He doesn't want to sing anyway) and we haven't heard the drummer doesn't want to do it either.

So... See if we can get a bassist who can sing. Audition a singer or i could just work on my singing voice

which one would work the best?

To be honest i would rather me or a future bassist did it. More people = more ego and more arguments.

What do you think?
Learn to sing. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo much easier to get 4 people together than 5.
Quote by ZeBubba!
Learn to sing. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo much easier to get 4 people together than 5.

That's what i was thinking.

Singing thread here i come.
If you are so open minded about the music you like, then I don't think influences will be a problem, you should be able to play some songs that you all agree on.

Try and learn to sing, from my experience not many instrument players like to sing, so if you are enthusiastic about it then go for it. It may be hard to find a bassist let alone one that sings, and a singer is just another person to deal with. But remember that if you are singing, you need to be able to sing good and play good at the same time, and you also have to write lyrics.
Quote by TNA
If you are so open minded about the music you like, then I don't think influences will be a problem, you should be able to play some songs that you all agree on.

Try and learn to sing, from my experience not many instrument players like to sing, so if you are enthusiastic about it then go for it. It may be hard to find a bassist let alone one that sings, and a singer is just another person to deal with. But remember that if you are singing, you need to be able to sing good and play good at the same time, and you also have to write lyrics.

I'm OK with having some pop-punk influences in our music. that's awesome actually as we could have a more original sound (And i might learn some stuff to) but i was thinking the other members might have a problem with me trying to add other genres into our music.
Well it doesn't hurt to ask, just try and get them to have an open mind.

Good Luck
Quote by Final !mpact
I want to start a band with my friends. Me on guitar, my freind of guitar and my other freind on drums and we will look for a bass player.

Question 1: Different Influences?

I'm into all sorts of stuff. Grunge, Every type of metal (Black metal, death metal, thrash, power, metal core etc) Techno, Industrial The list goes on. I like every western genre except pop and pop-punk.

The other guys though like mainstream pop/pop-punk and SOME metal.

Do you think this might cause conflicts?

Not if you are all willing to co-operate a little. All it take is a bit of give and take, but having different musical influences is actualy an advantage because the music you write together will have all these different influences in it and will sound more original than if just one influence was involved.
Quote by Final !mpact

And Question 2: Singing

I don't mind singing. I'm not bad (Not great though) but i can get a Kurt Cobain type tone. The guitarist is epic phail at singing (He doesn't want to sing anyway) and we haven't heard the drummer doesn't want to do it either.

So... See if we can get a bassist who can sing. Audition a singer or i could just work on my singing voice

which one would work the best?

To be honest i would rather me or a future bassist did it. More people = more ego and more arguments.

What do you think?

I agree, you should do it for now, it's the easiest option, it will eventualy expand your vocal range and if your eventual bassist can sing too, then you can share the vocals and have harmonies and all sorts of sweet sounding stuff happening.
Of course, if you happen to come across a damn good singer who you all get along well with, then you should try him out and possibly sign him up, it just gives you a wider scope with your music and can take you from two part to three part harmonies.
But this should only be considered if he's a better singer than yourself and/or possibly a better frontman.
Remember, when you add a new member that isn't necessarily needed to a band, then that addition should at least bring 'improvement' to your band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 27, 2008,
Nothing wrong with pop and pop-punk influences slipping in, there's a reason it's called 'popular' music. As long as you enjoy playing it, don't panic too much about genres.

The only time liking different genres of music causes problems is when people refuse to play outside their comfort zones. Trade off songs with your bandmates - do one song you like, one they like, and so on.

And definitely work on your singing voice. That way, as Slack Babbath said, you've got more flexibility in terms of what you can do if you find a bassist who sings or a separate lead singer (harmonies = awesome), and don't need to panic about looking for one just yet.