I've scorned theory and being "taught" how to create music for most of my playing career, but lately I've begun to realize that there is a lot to learn from it, and that it certainly doesn't take away from ones own originality and play style to learn a few things about the mathematics and etc. that make up music.

Anyway, I've been browsing for a good book of scales and chords to play with, but its been very difficult to choose scales to play with and getting a feel for them, I don't have nearly enough time to devote to music so sometimes I lose patience.

I'm looking for a book that you can reference chords and scales by their style, i.e. instead of me looking up the pentatonic scale, I look up the blues section and see the pentatonic and whatever other scales listed under it. Can anyone recommend a book or website like this?
See Jane. See Jane run. Run b*tch, run.
There are books that address specific styles... I'm not sure of a book that addresses ALL styles. That would be one huge book. I know Alfred books cover a lot of genres but, they tend to be more mainstream. I would look for books by actual artists in the genre you wish to study.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by coffeexxninja
I've scorned theory and being "taught" how to create music for most of my playing career, but lately I've begun to realize that there is a lot to learn from it, and that it certainly doesn't take away from ones own originality and play style to learn a few things about the mathematics and etc. that make up music.

Anyway, I've been browsing for a good book of scales and chords to play with, but its been very difficult to choose scales to play with and getting a feel for them, I don't have nearly enough time to devote to music so sometimes I lose patience.

I'm looking for a book that you can reference chords and scales by their style, i.e. instead of me looking up the pentatonic scale, I look up the blues section and see the pentatonic and whatever other scales listed under it. Can anyone recommend a book or website like this?

I doubt there's anything like that to be honest - you can use any scale for any style, it's all in how you use it. It's more important to concentrate on learning how scales work with chords so you can decide for yourself.

There's also no point in trying to learn a load of scale patterns from a book, that's where something like the Guitar Grimoire falls down. It's NOT a teaching book, in that you won't actually learn anything about the scales from it, it's just reference material. There's a lot of overalpping on the guitar, if only learn scale patterns then you're likely to just find yourself wasting horrendous amounts of time learning the same thing several times over.

The major scale is going to be the most important and useful one for you, it's the cornerstone of modern western music. The natural minor is also commonly use, as are their pentatonic derivatives but the major scale is where it all leads back to so that's the one to focus on at first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yea I wasn't sure if something like that would exist, I've been playing music for a few years and am just looking for ways to shape my solos. I'll probably just go to Books-a-Million and pick out a few to digest, I'll check out Alfred books too thanks.
See Jane. See Jane run. Run b*tch, run.