Just bought a Peavey 6505

This is my first tube amp and I was under the influnce that I was suposed to turn on the standby switch alone first for about a minute and then turn on the the main switch after.

Is this correct? When I turn on the standby alone the led won't light up, both switchs have to be on for it to work. Also the amp will not poduce sound unless both switchs are on.

Am I doing somthing wrong? Can someone please tell me the proper sequence?!

Sry for the incredibly noob questions, I just really don't want to mess the amp up.
Turn on the amp, but leave the standby switch off for a minute or so, to let the tubes warm up some, then you can turn the standby on.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
No, you are right: you do turn the Standby switch on first, which warms up the valves, but doesn't give enough current to make the amp function; then turn on the On switch to turn the amp on fully.

Edit: Or you can turn the On switch on, then the Standby switch. You can do it either way.
on the flipside, I just got my JSX, and when you turn it off, do you just hit the power switch off and leave the standby on for a minute, because when I did it, there was a loud popping sound.

lol, two tube amp noobs, but congrats man, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am enjoying mine
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
to quickly clarify: Standby ON means no sound comes out of the amp. The power is on, but the amp is only on standby. Turning the standby OFF means the amp is all the way on, and sound will come out when you play through it.

The proper way to do it is to turn on the power first, with the standby on. Let the tubes warm up for 30 seconds or a minute, then turn the standby off and you're ready to play.

on 90% of amps, the switches are in the same position when power is off and standby is on, and they are in the same position when the amp is all the way on.
Quote by frigginjerk
The proper way to do it is to turn on the power first, with the standby on. Let the tubes warm up for 30 seconds or a minute, then turn the standby off and you're ready to play.

on 90% of amps, the switches are in the same position when power is off and standby is on, and they are in the same position when the amp is all the way on.

... except on any Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Fender, Rivera ...

On every amp I've tried, you need the mains and standby switches on together.
Before you turn the amp on, make sure the standby switch is on "off", which is cutting the sound. Then turn on your amps main power. After a couple of minutes, turn the standby switch "on".

When turning the amp off, first turn the standby swtich "off", wait a couple of minutes, then turn the whole power off.

/thread.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Ya sacamano79, tube amps rule!!! love mine.

So turn the main switch on first for about a minute, then put the standby on?

This must be the right way because thats the only way to get any sound.

Thanks guys!
Also Droid11, you weren't under the influence that you should do something, you were under the impression. Sorry to be grammar dick... but when I first read your post I was thinking... "you shouldn't operate tube amps while under the influence of alcohol" sorry lol !
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Also Droid11, you weren't under the influence that you should do something, you were under the impression. Sorry to be grammar dick... but when I first read your post I was thinking... "you shouldn't operate tube amps while under the influence of alcohol" sorry lol !

lol sry
Quote by blue_strat
... except on any Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Fender, Rivera ...

On every amp I've tried, you need the mains and standby switches on together.

no dude, i have a marshall. the confusion is that when the standby switch is in the "on" POSITION, it means that standby is OFF. that's what standby means... if the amp is ON standby, it means it's got power, but you need to take it off standby to play through it.

on all major tube amps, the switches are in the same position for "power off" and "standby on," and they are in the same position for "power on" and "standby off." the labeling is even reversed, but in logical terms of the english language, standby means the amp is ready, but not active.

most companies just make it easy on the consumer, and make it so that both switches move in the same direction.

long story short: turn on the power first, then flick the other switch. for turning the amp off, it doesn't matter what order you use.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jul 31, 2008,