Poll: Would/Have you done something like this?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would/Have you done something like this?
Yes i have.
3 20%
No, its too risky.
1 7%
I wouldnt be able to leave my family/friends behind
2 13%
I would like to one day
9 60%
Voters: 15.
How many people have thought about and or have moved out of their state/region? Away from everything. Their family, friends, etc.

Ive been thinking A LOT lately about moving away to a new state when im old enough (im 17 now, so after highschool and during the whole college scene). Ive always wanted to live in more of a paradise... on the clear beach scene, warm weather and sunsets. I live in new york, and its cool and all but its not what i think im about.

College out of state and instate tuition prices got me thinking that maybe i should move to florida by myself when im 18 soon after highschool. Build up whatever money i can there as i continue to work towards becoming a resident of florida to avoid the out of state tuition fees (about 4-5 times as much). This would be a HUGE risk though because while my grades arent terrible, there not as good as they should have been. If this fails and i get rejected from a college of interest id have to go to a community college in florida (having become a resident of florida i would have to pay out of state fees in NY), get my grades up there while getting credits and then re-apply to the school and pray i get in.

My only, biggest concern is leaving my family... (even though its not much of one, parents divorced mom hates me etc). If ive learned one thing in life so far its not to wait your life on others. If you count on someone else being there and you do your best to stay with them, eventually theyre the ones who crawl. (for example staying in a town for friends)

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone ever want to do this? It seems like the chance to escape everything. The risk it involves are huge and would be life changing, but if it is possible i think i can do it. Poll coming...
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Last edited by Pr3vieWX360 at Jul 27, 2008,
I highly doubt THE VAST MAJORITY OF pit monkeys have been away from home (out of town) alone, much less lived alone, and furthermore lived alone away from "home
Wasn't there a poll where the most common age was like 14(90%+)? It's probably up to 15 now since that was a little over a year ago but the point remains.
Last edited by GerGuam at Jul 27, 2008,
Dude, I'm pretty much in your shoes. Check to see if there are exchange programs through your local colleges.

And I will probably be moving in roughly 8-10 months. Woo!
I'm moving away in less than a month for college

I've got the same family situation, my dad passed away and my mom's almost impossible to deal with.
I'd advise against it unless that's what you want to do, because it's what you want, not because you want to run away. That's largely why I made my decision to move, and the closer it comes the more i regret it.

Look for schools in other part of your state? Or maybe a school in a bordering state that offers regional tuition. That's what I'm doing and it's only a couple thousand more than in-state which beats the hell out of out of state.

best of luck dude
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by GerGuam
I highly doubt any pit monkeys have been away from home (out of town) alone, much less lived alone, and furthermore lived alone away from "home
Wasn't there a poll where the most common age was like 14(90%+)? It's probably up to 15 now since that was a little over a year ago but the point remains.

Are you kidding?
sorry to double post, but also moving is SO expensive. And right out of high school there is no way you'll be able to afford it. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's almost impossible.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Jackolas
Are you kidding?

woops I should've put "the vast majority" instead of "any". I'll get around to fixing that now...
Quote by gunther_sucks
One thing to note is that the closer to the beach the more it costs.

Yea ive already looked at that and assuming id have to move out during college anyway, its cheaper down there than any place around here.
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.