Drums are something I've been wanting to learn for a while now, but I don't want to spend tons of money on an actual kit (at least yet) because I'm not sure if it's just a phase, something I'd play a week and then forget about or if I'm really into it. Secondly space, drums take a lot of space and third they're loud.

So I was thinking maybe just a practice pad, but that could be a bit boring. Then I thought bongos, but that's a whole different instrument.. What would be a good inexpensive fun way to learn some basic techniques and to play along with an acoustic?
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
If i was you, I'd rent a room with drums in it. For example me and my band 'rent' a band room that's in a basement (another one is in the 'Linnahall'). It has guitar amps and drums in it, and it's like 3-4 euros per hour (in Tallinn). i bet there's something similar in Helsinki (or in any other 'bigger' town).
Last edited by zwound at Jul 27, 2008,
The best thing to do is just get into a place with drums in them, for example, do you have a drummer friend? if so then you could just go there and practise for a little while. Also studios tend to have drum kits in but the issue may be cymbals so you going to have to hope they have some.
my mate learned some drums from playing the electric kits in music shops

hes pretty good actually

used electric kit might be for you
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Electric kits could be a good way to start, but when I say inexpensive I mean like under 100€.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
ah

by the sounds of it, €100 gets you 25 hours on a kit

thats at least a month or two, right? by then youll have decided if you like it and if you want your own kit
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I don't know if there are any places like that near me..
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
I live like 25km from Hämeenlinna in a small town.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
Oh...Yeah, then it will probably be really hard to find something, unless Hämeenlinna has some sort of 'band room'. Even in Estonia in the city of Tartu and Pärnu (both cities with 100 000 residents) have at least 2 rentable bandrooms each...

In your situation, it's probably good if you found out if any drummers live nearby where you stay and ask them if you can rent their space and kit for a small fee...
There's nothing much you can really buy for under 100 euros, and there's not much you can learn if you only use practice pads (they're boring too).

EDIT: Maybe something like this as a last resort? http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_md70_digital_drumset.htm
Last edited by zwound at Jul 27, 2008,