I am starting college classes in a couple weeks and I wanted to take a music theory class but I heard that you need to be fluent in reading music notation which I am not. Should I just sign up for the class and study music notation like crazy or should I do what my friend is doing and take an audio production type class for now so I have time to study before going into a music theory class?
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Dude, why would you take a music theory class if you can't read music?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
For future reference never post a what should I do thread in the pit. If you follow the advice you're given you may end up raping people while doing barrel rolls.

Really though, you should take the audio production class. Not only will it give you more time to learn, but you'll then know another subject which may come in handy later on in life.
Quote by soulflyV
tl;dr

Uh...what does that mean? I've never seen a semi-colon used as a vowel before..

OH and...I would hold off on the music theory class until you can read music. Talking from experience, I signed up for a music theory class last year, but didn't care to read the requirements. I didn't make it thru the first few weeks and dropped so I wouldn't have to do all the extra work to catch up, just not worth it. PHSHEW *makes "way over my head" gesture*
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
Uh...what does that mean? I've never seen a semi-colon used as a vowel before..

OH and...I would hold off on the music theory class until you can read music. Talking from experience, I signed up for a music theory class last year, but didn't care to read the requirements. I didn't make it thru the first few weeks and dropped so I wouldn't have to do all the extra work to catch up, just not worth it. PHSHEW *makes "way over my head" gesture*

It stands for too long; didn't read.

If someone places it in their post at the beginning or end, it's basically just the story in a nutshell.
Quote by blynd_snyper
For future reference never post a what should I do thread in the pit. If you follow the advice you're given you may end up raping people while doing barrel rolls.

Really though, you should take the audio production class. Not only will it give you more time to learn, but you'll then know another subject which may come in handy later on in life.

agreed, nice point you made :p
Music theory isn't all about reading music, it does help though, to at least be able to name notes on the staff, but fluent sight reading is not neccessary for theory. (Although i don't know what this particular class is like, i would ask a teacher to be sure)
If you don't do the class now, can you still do it at a later date? Coz that's what i'd do, personally.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by rabidguitarist
Dude, why would you take a music theory class if you can't read music?

this is the first time I agree with a post of yours

ts you should really learn how to read music...it's not very difficult...then again I've been doing it for 12 years or so...but its really quite simple
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Is it advanced theory or not?
If it's not advanced, don't they teach you how to read the notes?
Quote by Aleene
Is it advanced theory or not?
If it's not advanced, don't they teach you how to read the notes?

Its uni, id assume its at least intermediate. Anyway, take the audio class until you are at least decent at theory. Buy some books on it, its not too hard. But if you cant read notes, dont bother taking it until you know how. Your wasting your time.