Whenever trying to play, even on a single string, down picking still remains cleaner and easier, and trying to alternative pick is harder and just makes my playing messier even after several weeks of practicing.. with more fret buzz and less stable pick attack.

what am i doing wrong? is it just many many weeks of practice or? is my technique bad?

PS: trying to play "morning waits" by as i lay dying... with the first 3-4 riffs played on a single string, so this is where im getting my problem.
technique probably. Make sure you do not have your pick angled, let me explain what i mean by angled a little better. I have always had the problem of slanting the pick as if I was raking or strumming, so I could very easily play things, such as a standard 3 note per string scale from low to high, but had a really tough time playing it reverse. My friends angle the pick really sharply as if they are raking and it severely limits them, but it is mostly noticeable if you are changing strings.

I really am not sure what your problem is, im just throwing this out there.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by sacamano79
technique probably. Make sure you do not have your pick angled, let me explain what i mean by angled a little better. I have always had the problem of slanting the pick as if I was raking or strumming, so I could very easily play things, such as a standard 3 note per string scale from low to high, but had a really tough time playing it reverse. My friends angle the pick really sharply as if they are raking and it severely limits them, but it is mostly noticeable if you are changing strings.

I really am not sure what your problem is, im just throwing this out there.

by holding the pick very firmly, it catches the string much more and completely screws up the sound and makes massive fret buzz..... so.. what should i do?
Not meaning to jack the thread or anything, but I'm also trying to learn alternate picking and I thought that holding the pick angled would be much easier, as it doesn't get caught in the string or anything?
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Quote by MrMicrowave
Not meaning to jack the thread or anything, but I'm also trying to learn alternate picking and I thought that holding the pick angled would be much easier, as it doesn't get caught in the string or anything?

well, i know your not supposed to, because you lose speed and accuracy... so is holding the pick lously but straight the proper way?
I had a huge problem with this for years. But after I played bass for a year, my picking hand strengthened and I developed enough control to have a fluid alternate picking technique.

Not saying you have to take up bass, but it's not a technique you'll immediately grasp. Practice.
It took me a while to learn alternate/economy picking. Dont expect to learn it quick. Best thing to do is to learn scales using economy picking, and also re-learn every riff or lick that you already play by economy picking. It might take a while for you to feel comfortable picking this way, but once you get the hold of it, playing will be far easier.

Economy picking is alternate picking basically, except when you change to a different string you hit it in the direction that your hand is moving. Its basically to limit the amount of movement of your hand, so you play easier and faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_picking

You can hold the pick however you want but this is the best way

http://www.guitar-lessons-central.com/image-files/holding-guitar-pick.jpg

Its tricky when you first start learning, and you keep wondering if your supposed to upstroke or downstroke on notes and you get confused, but once you get the hang of it you wont have to think about what to do.

But make sure you stop playing things with just just down strokes. Just dont allow yourself to do it. I remember when i first started playing, i would only use downstrokes. Then when i started learning economy picking it felt like i was learning guitar all over again. Just keep at it and it will eventually sound better.

heres a short lesson on economy picking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUSZD5RAQ4
Last edited by robert_says at Jul 27, 2008,