Poll: Do you think the movie "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" is an essential?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think the movie "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" is an essential?
HELL YEAH!!! (waves the "Devil's Horns")
69 46%
Hmmm... Let me think about it... NO.
31 21%
I haven't seen the movie, but i'd go for mac & cheese...
51 34%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 2
Yesterday i watched the movie/documentary "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey", by Sam Dunn.

I was amazed by the quality and quantity of information he was able to give in a 93 minute "Metal lesson". It gave me a good perspective about different aspects of the Metal culture.

And i literally LMFAO with the Ronnie James Dio interviews...
"If you talk to Gene Simmons, he will tell you HE invented the "devil's horns", and not me. But Gene also invented breathing, and shoes, so..."

My question is:
Do you think "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" is that kind of movie that is an essential to everyone, wether they're taking their first steps into the Metal realm or they're long-time Metal fans? Like a cult movie?

Or you think that this movie is not THAT relevant?

P.S.: Next i'm going to watch "VH1's Heavy: The Story Of Metal" 4-episode documentary...
On my "watched list" is already "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" and "This Is Spinal Tap"!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 27, 2008,
Well, maybe for people who are new to everything metal and such, it's a nice documentary.

But for the longtime and die-hard fans such as myself, it sort of left a bad aftertaste. I still don't see why he needed to get all the psychological bull**** in the movie. Oh gee, metal is a male-driven culture? Wow. Didn't know that.

Maybe nice for beginners, but far from essential. Metal documentaries piss me off anyway. I for one do not hate everyone and hate society, and whatever standard metalheads bawww about these days anyway.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Its like the most famous metal documentary. My friend tells me to buy the DVD and watch it.

But I'll wait for someone to give it to me
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
quite limited poll choices there...i liked the documentary but i wont saay that it is at all essential for metalheads to watch...the only essential thing for metal is music...id say that non metal heads should watch it though...
Quote by 66something
quite limited poll choices there...i liked the documentary but i wont saay that it is at all essential for metalheads to watch...the only essential thing for metal is music...id say that non metal heads should watch it though...

Even if you liked the documentary but don't think it's an essential, please vote no.

I really am interested in knowing if the UG users think this is essential or not to the Metal culture; because in a conversation about this movie with my friends, some were saying that this movie doesn't add nothing new to previous documentaries and movies about the theme.

I just like to know other people's points of view, even if i disagree with them!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by 66something
d say that non metal heads should watch it though...

That's something I wouldn't say. I think especially the part of the churchburnings by Varg and friends would get most attention. People with little understanding already seem to merely remember bad things, and that'd just add fuel to the fire I reckon.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Quote by MetalNick
That's something I wouldn't say. I think especially the part of the churchburnings by Varg and friends would get most attention. People with little understanding already seem to merely remember bad things, and that'd just add fuel to the fire I reckon.

Hmmm... Interesting!
I haven't thought of it that way...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's very good, extremely good indeed, pretty informative - it helped me out when I was starting to get into Metal - and also very funny in parts. Who didn't laught at "...........................Satan..........*swills wine*....................freedom........."?

But it's not an essential, worthwhile viewing, I would have liked more thrash coverage, but I suppose that's what every fan of every metal subgenre would say.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
It leaves a lot of ground uncovered, and is full of the opinion > fact stuff you tend to find in mainstream magazines.

It can't hurt too much to give it a view, but I really found it lacking.
I don't think it's essential but it is a very good movie, my problem is only metal heads will watch it and if someone who dosn't support metal does watch it they will start calling us church burners and satanists.

Oh by the way the whole movie is on youtube for those who haven't seen it.
Last edited by josh999x at Jul 27, 2008,
Essential? No.

I don't need to watch a movie in order to get a better grasp on the music I love. I'll probably watch it eventually though.

Has anyone watched - The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years?
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

best moment in that whole thing:

DUNN: So what would your biggest musical influence be?
GAAHL: *massive pause, sloshing wine glass around* ...Satan.

My mate and I quote that at least once every few weeks, classic...
It's a good documentary, the best I've seen of the same topic

Heavy: the Story of Metal is alright...not the best
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Essential? No.

I don't need to watch a movie in order to get a better grasp on the music I love. I'll probably watch it eventually though.

I mean essential to know about the history, filosophy and psychology of Metal, not to understand the music. You know, curiosity about the roots and origins, mental background, etc.

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Has anyone watched - The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years?

Can't find it ANYWHERE...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's not essential for people who like the music mainly because if you enjoy something usually you read about it in books/on the internet/TV Shows but to people who think that Metal is all Satanic and crap, I think I'd like them to watch just because it also shows the calmer side of Metal aswell, the "nice" side if you will.

As MetalNick said above, it may make them think worse of metalheads because of the churchburnings and the few actual Satanic ones in the film. But I don't believe anyone is so ignorant that they see that one sub-genre of Metal being Satanic makes every sub-genre and everyone that listens to Metal Satanic.

But as Sam says at the end of the film, "We're doing fine without you".
Quote by Imas

+3.14159
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I thought it was something similar to Spinal Tap, if it's just a documentary I'll give it a miss.
Well, I have seen the movie and have mixed feelings about it. I think it is a good introduction to metal and the various genres and styles involved. But I did not like the movie because it had no real thesis and proved nothing besides Sam Dunn concluding that metal is music for misfits and people feeling somewhat outside of mainstream society. That was absolute garbage from someone who is supposed doing or has achieved Ph.D status.

Funny part was that red headed sociologist who was blabbing about how the drums and bass are what influence and draw people to metal; what a useless crackpot she must be. Its not just the heaviness of the music but the way the music and constructed; the mixing of certain scales and progressions that make the music heavy is just as important and distortion and pounding bass lines.

Anyhoo, the movie is good as a commercial product but a piece of crap and a piece of academic study.
Meh it wasnt great, was severely lacking, I found.

Better off watching Spinal Tap if you ask me.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Linkerman

P.S.: Next i'm going to watch "VH1's Heavy: The Story Of Metal" 4-episode documentary...

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT watch that. Its the worst documentary I have ever seen and will teach you false things about metal(i.e. Nu-metal is the next generation of metal and there are only 4 thrash metal bands). On topic, I thought A Headbangers Journey was okay. Lots of good stuff in it, but some parts were lacking. It was way better than Heavy:The Story of Metal.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
Quote by MetalNick
thats one reason why i said that. i found Dunn's conclusion on the matter of satanisim and the norwegian metal scene one of the best parts of the documentary, the chruch burning in norway is no metal secret it made news and people know about it. he clearly does not condone the church burning. but he also does try to explain the ideologies and resons behind those actions. which is something people probably did not hear on the news channels. not too long ago i was hanging out with some "poppy-punk-skater" friends of a friend, these kids had little love for anything besides MCR, blink 182 and A7x...so when i told them i liked metal they were like "oh metal is insane...do you know of burzum?". Quoth I "yeah...do you?". ...they didnt...they knew some guy was in jail. People hear all sorts of things about metal, at least "a headbangers jouney" explains the genere from a metalheads veiw ( wether or not its riding the vibe of every metalheads opinions.).i felt that the film was directed at the non metal populations as an attempt to educate those who have misconceptions about the genere .
Quote by TwistedLogic
Well, I have seen the movie and have mixed feelings about it. I think it is a good introduction to metal and the various genres and styles involved. But I did not like the movie because it had no real thesis and proved nothing besides Sam Dunn concluding that metal is music for misfits and people feeling somewhat outside of mainstream society. That was absolute garbage from someone who is supposed doing or has achieved Ph.D status.

Funny part was that red headed sociologist who was blabbing about how the drums and bass are what influence and draw people to metal; what a useless crackpot she must be. Its not just the heaviness of the music but the way the music and constructed; the mixing of certain scales and progressions that make the music heavy is just as important and distortion and pounding bass lines.

Anyhoo, the movie is good as a commercial product but a piece of crap and a piece of academic study.

Yeah, yeah you like metal because of the interesting scales mixed, but come on, almost all metal heads (like myself) get drawn in when they're young when they hear something extremely heavy, loud, and evil
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Very good documentary. I've seen it about 4 or 5 times by now but I wouldn't say it's essential.
"I'm sick of following my dreams man. I'm just ask where they're going, and hook up with them later."
Quote by shredmeiser101
Yeah, yeah you like metal because of the interesting scales mixed, but come on, almost all metal heads (like myself) get drawn in when they're young when they hear something extremely heavy, loud, and evil

I see your point and would say that when I was 12 or 13 and getting into metal I was the exact same way. I did not think of or analyze scales and progressions but being older and knowing a little bit of theory, as a professor should have some knowledge of what she is talking about before opening her mouth, you can see a difference in how bands like the eagles, who might use more major scales and chords that create a more happy sound and vibe, differ from bands like Metallica, who might use more minor chords and dorion modes and diminished scales to create that "evil" feel that you wrote about. YOu are right, I was being critical of the redhead prof for being so dense about things she was talking about.

Also the thing about the swedish metal / black metal scene and church fires he did explained it as a dichotomous situation where teens and young adult musicians were rebelling and expressing thier distaste for the highly christain nature of scandanvian society if I recall. Hardly an in depth examination of what happened and overly simplistic. Sort of a post hoc fallacy kinda thing if I am right. Two things seeming to be related does not exclude other factors that might be more relevant and important to the examination of the church burnings.
Quote by Imas

One of my favourite parts of the film actually, he said it so well, and at Wacken, with seventy thousand metalheads all around and Master of Puppets in the background it worked really well.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I haven't seen it, and I doubt I ever will.
Basically, I think they guy made it so he could name-drop at parties and pick up stupid women who are impressed by "when i interviewed Dio".
the 4 part thing is FAR better. i didnt like the host of the headbangers journey. the part thing really explains how metal evolved and how it pretty much rose from the dead.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
the 4 part thing is FAR better. i didnt like the host of the headbangers journey. the part thing really explains how metal evolved and how it pretty much rose from the dead.

The VH1 thing? That was awful, only part four was slightly worth it, they focused on thrash for the first half, then went into 90s metal, which was wank - aside from the Death Metal scene. The first three were rubbish, they spent the time talking about hair metal and posers in heels walking down the Sunset Strip.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by MightyAl
I haven't seen it, and I doubt I ever will.
Basically, I think they guy made it so he could name-drop at parties and pick up stupid women who are impressed by "when i interviewed Dio".
rich to have such a bright opinion without seeing it...
I must say, i'm looking forward to watch "Global Metal", by Sam Dunn (the sequel to "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey).

This time, Sam's going to China, India and other Eastern countries to see their Metal scene and to investigate how the Western Metal scene influenced them.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I mean essential to know about the history, filosophy and psychology of Metal, not to understand the music. You know, curiosity about the roots and origins, mental background, etc.

Can't find it ANYWHERE...

Oh now c'mon. Your just talking out your arse there.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

I think it gives alot of insight on metal, so it'd be perfect for "entering the realm" so to speak.

But I hated how they interviewed like.. Slipknot, and that 13 year old girl. There could've been lots more information, such as describing the difference between genres and noting some bands beginners would listen to from said genre (IE: mentioning black metal and suggesting like.. Mayhem/Burzum/Darkthrone).
Quote by cliffemall123
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT watch that. Its the worst documentary I have ever seen and will teach you false things about metal(i.e. Nu-metal is the next generation of metal and there are only 4 thrash metal bands). On topic, I thought A Headbangers Journey was okay. Lots of good stuff in it, but some parts were lacking. It was way better than Heavy:The Story of Metal.

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I liked the actuall thing. I just thought the guy doing it was a douche and just got the feeling that he hadn't a clue to what he was talking about most of the time.
It's an excellent movie, I would recommend it to anyone, whether it be a die-hard metal fan, or someone who wants to understand the confusing world of metal. I got my teacher to watch it, and she loved it.

But I hated how they interviewed like.. Slipknot, and that 13 year old girl.

He did this to show what a typical metal fan's views would be, so people could feel a connection with similar minded people.

There could've been lots more information, such as describing the difference between genres and noting some bands beginners would listen to from said genre (IE: mentioning black metal and suggesting like.. Mayhem/Burzum/Darkthrone).

He set up an interview with someone linked to Mayhem/Barzum. He also explored deeply into Black Metal, with Church Burnings and such. He concluded that no-one could understand it, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The movie was about why Metal is consistently stereotyped in society, not about recommending bands to people.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jul 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2