So I just recently got a small tube combo (Traynor YCV20), really liking the sound, overall it seems like a superb all-round amp. I was expecting this, but I tried putting my Zoom G2 pedal in with the amp and it basically lost that "tube sound". It's normal that digital effects won't complement the tone of a tube amp, right?

edit: the tone seems to be worse or more sterile even with amp modelling and effects off, or on bypass.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Jul 27, 2008,
Pretty much. That's why most people buy single effects pedals for valve amps.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Ok, gotcha. Sounds like multi effects work best on solid state only. Would I benefit from going for single analog effects as opposed to digital?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
It's probably mostly the treble loss from the G2's bypass/buffer circuitry, with possibly some dynamic compression as a digital artifact.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
It's probably mostly the treble loss from the G2's bypass/buffer circuitry, with possibly some dynamic compression as a digital artifact.

Yep. I think it doesn't really have anything to do with the digitalness, just the bad bypass (which is caused partly by the digitalness, I admit, but still). And I don't think it's really "tube amp specific", it probably happens to SS amps too, but I guess you just notice it more easily.

Bottom line, the bypass in the G2 sucks, as long as you get quality pedals with good bypass it doesn't matter if they're analog or digital.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
No multifx don't work best on SS. Your multifx will probably sound better in front of your tube amp, then a SS amp (in general). However, if your FX pedal has detracted from the sound of your amp then you will be better off experimenting with single pedals. It could be the quality of your G2. And even if you put a single FX pedal in front of your tube amp it may degrade the tone. A lot depends on what effect you are using as well. The distortion in your G2 may be much worse than your Traynor.

MultiFX with amp and cab modeling often do well on a full range frequency response system like a PA or even an acoustic amp. MuiltiFX take a lot of work to tweak. Unlike a single pedal where you hook it up, twist a few knobs, and then declare it great or crap, multifx take a lot of work to get tap the best tones.

But the whole multifx work better on a SS amp is the wrong way to look at it. The right way is that tube (or even SS) amps can be degraded by FX if you don't make the right choices.
thanks for the help, i'm new to tube amps but i think i'm starting to get this