I know this will be an annoying question thats been asked hundreds of times, but I am frustrated to the point of insanity atm. Just got home from Newcastle, 6 hours drive from where I live. I visited the music store there to pick up a new mic and a stand, it was only a cheap one, a behringer c-1. I knew it required phantom power, but assumed the cable provided would supply the power (it was a 6.5mm to XLR). I am running this into the input on my preamp, but it is not powering the mic at all. Do i need an XLR to XLR to power the mic? Or am I completely wrong?
Kinda need it functioning by tomorrow, as I need to record quite a few tracks.

All help much appreciated, especially if its soon!
The preamp should have a switch that turns phantom power on and off. I think you may need XLR to XLR but I'm not sure.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
It's the +48V button.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Ok, thanks. Its not making any difference, so I assume that means I need the XLR to XLR?
Yes your unit has phantom power, but phantom power requires an XLR cable to supply power to the mic. Dunno why the guy at the store would sell you a cord that you can't use with the mic you bought. Dumb sales dude. Or an ass....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You can get a TRS/XLR adapter if you want to save money, but yeah, that rep was wrong. Good luck on recording.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
With the adapter, though, I'm not so sure it will carry phantom power. It will allow you to plug it into an XLR jack, but not necessarily behave as if it was an *actual* XLR cable.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Fast_Fingers
You can get a TRS/XLR adapter if you want to save money, but yeah, that rep was wrong. Good luck on recording.

+1
you dont need all XLR in a cable as long as you use an XLR to TRS connector.
The TRS still has all 3 contact points which is good enough for phantom powered mics.
Quote by moody07747
+1

The TRS still has all 3 contact points which is good enough for phantom powered mics.

I stand corrected. I really wasn't sure about that one.

CT