Poll Options
View poll results: I am:
left handed
41 25%
right handed
121 75%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 2
I just joined the group on here named something like "Left handed people who play right handed guitars". As I am left handed and I play right handed guitars (largely because it's cheaper and easier to get hold of them). I was wondering however, is left handedness actually that rare lol? Because I meet a lot of people who are left handed these days and it feels as though I know an equal amount of left handed people as right handed people.

So here's a poll, it can't be fully accurate because it's only a small sample and I think guitar players will be marginally biased towards right handed people.

Note: Wikipedia quotes that 87% of the adult population is right handed, I don't believe that for some reason lol.
Note: I do not include ambidextrous because, to be honest, I don't believe it to be true. I just think you're either right handed or left handed and if you can use both hands for certain activities then it's only because you've developed the skill - not because you were born with it.
I am left handed.

Left handed people are statistically more creative, musical and artistic.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
87% sounds about right actually.

Quote by rabidguitarist
I am left handed.

Well, aren't you special?
Well from what I've seen, most left handed people I know are guitarists, or artists of some sort.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
I'm left handed although I play guitar right handed...weird I know.

I play drums left handed/footed too. Oops, I mean right lol.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jul 27, 2008,
im ambedextrous however u spell it born that way been like that my whole life sooo ure wrong.
**** you grammar nazis
Where's the Ambidextrous option, you bastard?

WHERE IS IT!?

MIKEDIT: Right handed.

AND left handed.

I spit upon your incorrect poll.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Quote by killinfatchicks
im ambedextrous however u spell it born that way been like that my whole life sooo ure wrong.
**** you grammar nazis

Science disagrees. You can be good with both hands, but you can not be purely ambidextrous.
All the people saying they are (naturally) Ambidextrous are bull****ting.

I'm a lefty btw, I play lefty guitar and do everything left handed.
I'm right handed, but I do a lot of things left handed. I eat left handed, swing a baseball bad left handed, and use most big tools (sledge hammers, brooms, axes, etc) left handed.
I'm right handed.
And i lack complete sense of creativity and artistic aesthetics.
I'm just a logical genius.
Quote by maggot9779
I'm left handed although I play guitar right handed...weird I know.

I play drums left handed/footed too.

Drums has a hand difference?
The more you know

Best example of left handed people being creative: Jimi Hendrix. Even though he played on a right hand guitar with the strings in the wrong order.
I'm left handed but I play guitar right handed. Actually it is rather interesting, because before I started learning how to actually play I was playing air guitar left handed, it was more natural. Now I'm used to right handed playing, and having the stronger hand on the neck is awesome
Quote by Crazymike100
Where's the Ambidextrous option, you bastard?

WHERE IS IT!?

MIKEDIT: Right handed.

AND left handed.

I spit upon your incorrect poll.

Quote by Craigo
Science disagrees. You can be good with both hands, but you can not be purely ambidextrous.

There's your question, there's his answer, that I fully agree with, and also, read my first post.
I do the same thing. I'm left handed, but I play both drums and guitars right handed out of preference. I fap with my left hand, brush my teeth with my left hand, and hold eating utensils with my left hand, but not all necessarily in that order.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Drums has a hand difference?
The more you know

Yea, never seen a drum kit set up for a lefty before? Everything is switched around, snare, hat, toms, cymbals. I play with it set up normally, but I could also play the other way I guess....
I'm not ambidextrous, per se.
But I'm cross dominant, especially with my left hand
Quote by Craigo

I think a really small population is naturally Ambidextrous, but they're brain damaged or something, and one thing they can do that unnatural Ambidextrous can't, is write with both hands simultaneously.

Apparently Michelangelo (the painter) could draw different things at the same time.

but everytime a thread like this is made, about 50 people say they are Ambidextrous.
You can't be ambidextrous. You could be good with both your hands. But always your one hand is gonna be more dominant than your other.
Thats usually the hand u write with or draw/paint with.
Now i know some people can write/draw/paint with both their hands. But they'ld always be better with one hand than the other. Thats their dominant hand.
I play guitar right handed, but do everything else left handed.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
I write with my left hand, but do everything else with my right.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by rabidguitarist
I am left handed.

This. Lefties rule.
Im right handed. I write like a toddler with my left hand. Why does every lefty think they are more artistic than right handed person. The fact that every left handed person I know is an amazing musician or artist is completely unrelated.
Lefty. Have guitars to match.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Einstein was left haneded, he was pretty creative.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Possible effects in humans on thinking There are many theories on how being left-handed affects the way a person thinks. One theory divides left- and right-handed thinkers into two camps: visual simultaneous vs. linear sequential.[47][48][49][50] According to this theory, right-handed people are thought to process information using a "linear sequential" method in which one thread must complete its processing before the next thread can be started. Left-handed persons are thought to process information using a "visual simultaneous" method in which several threads can be processed simultaneously. Another way to view this is such: Suppose there were one thousand pieces of popcorn and one of them was colored blue. Right-handed people—using the linear sequential processing style—would look at the popcorn one at a time until they encountered the blue one. The left-handed person would spread out the pieces of popcorn and look at all of them to find the one that was blue. A side effect of these differing styles of processing is that right-handers need to complete one task before they can start the next. Left-handers, by contrast, are capable and comfortable switching between tasks. This seems to suggest that left-handed people have an excellent ability to multi-task, and anecdotal evidence suggests that there are more creative stems due to this ability to multi-task. Right-handed people process information using "analysis", which is the method of solving a problem by breaking it down to its pieces and analyzing the pieces one at a time. By contrast, left-handed people process information using "synthesis", which is the method of solving a problem by looking at the whole and trying to use pattern-matching to solve the problem.[50] The hypothesis that left-handed people are predisposed to visual-based thought has been validated by a variety of evidence. In the 2004 book Brains That Work a Little Bit Differently[51], researchers Allen D. Bragdon and David Gamon, Ph.D., briefly described some of the current research on handedness and its significance. "Handedness researchers Coren and Clare Porac have shown that left-handed university students are more likely to major in visually-based, as opposed to language-based subjects. Another sample of 103 art students found an astounding 47 percent were left- or mixed-handed." [page 76] Ultimately, being left-handed is not an all-or-nothing situation. The processing styles operate on a continuum where some people are more visual-simultaneous and others are more linear-sequential.

Thanks wikipedia... P.S. I'm right handed and do everything right handed.
Quote by AlskiOverload
Im right handed. I write like a toddler with my left hand. Why does every lefty think they are more artistic than right handed person. The fact that every left handed person I know is an amazing musician or artist is completely unrelated.

I know a left handed chick who is no more creative than a bath mat.
And Trent Reznor is right handed and is one of the most creative musician on this planet!
Thanks wikipedia... P.S. I'm right handed and do everything right handed.
I'm Right handed and according to that wiki article, i've got more lefty traits than the righty ones. I can multi-task. I'm horrible with languages. English is the only language i know decently. I don't think linearly all the time...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jul 27, 2008,
Burn the witches!

Righty FTW.

Seriously though, it's ridiculous that people used to teach left handed people into being right handed in the past centuries. Or alternatively, just burn them.
I'm right handed. But my left hand seems to be a lot more dexterous when it comes to some things. I dunno what it is. And it was like that before I started playing guitar, to. Like, I have a curtain pole in my room that I kept, and I used to spin it a lot on my hand. But I can't spin it for **** with my right one.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Even though you don't believe it, I consider myself ambidextrous. I play guitar right handed, and eat right handed, but I do most other small things left handed. I can write equally well with both hands. (Despite this, my handwriting sucks, no matter which hand...)
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by silhouettica
Even though you don't believe it, I consider myself ambidextrous. I play guitar right handed, and eat right handed, but I do most other small things left handed. I can write equally well with both hands. (Despite this, my handwriting sucks, no matter which hand...)

You're right handed.
Everyone can do small things with their less dominant hand. Ambidextrous means you're equally dominant with both your hands.
Quote by maggot9779
Yea, never seen a drum kit set up for a lefty before? Everything is switched around, snare, hat, toms, cymbals. I play with it set up normally, but I could also play the other way I guess....

Tbh. whenever I see drums I just see drums. I don't really care how they are set up as long as you can hit them
I thought this had something to do with masturbation.

I'm right handed and play right handed although I can do simple chord progressions playing lefty.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
I'm a lefty for everything.

And i spit on all of those who shun their left handedness. For those lefties who play right handed guitars because "It's cheaper". I spit on you. Be left and be proud.
Page 1 of 2