Hey my parents just gave me my there old car (after they bought a newer one) and I was thinking about putting a nice sound system in it. I really have no clue where to start. The car is a Cavalier:p and as of now the sound system is totally stock. the only thing I have is a sony xplod cd player that I took out of my old jeep. I was looking at these amp kits on the future shop website 1400 watts for $130 but I don't really know what I'm at when it comes to this stuff so I was hoping that someone here knew what their at and can maybe help me out a little. I was thinking about starting with some pioneer speakers but I'm not really sure what I should buy first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
In order to get decent sound, it's going to cost you a lot of money, and it really isn't going to be all worth it in my opinion. But if you really want to do it, start by upgrading all 4 of your stock speakers.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
yeah I was just checking some stuff out on the net I think I'm going to buy 4 new xpold speakers and an amp and then I will eventually buy a sub if I want it in the future.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
without the sub, you're not going to need an amp.
Banging on a trash can
1st start by new speakers ( don't get xplodes ) then amp and sub maybe subs but one 12 is usually enough for anyone that don't wanna start breaking **** on the car...in order to get a sub set up you need and external power..mainly from the car battery but there are batteries that you can buy so it don't run off the car batt..but fuse the connection between the battery and the amp...and ground everything to the car itself.....you pretty much need to take it an audio shop if you have no clue on how to do this..cuz you have to remove door panels and stuff if you dont get them back on just right they'll never feel right

i got a new deck and 4 speakers installed for $300.....they said to get a sub a box amp and installation would be about another 325

this isnt for great equipment...for the cheapest crappiest they could find...
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Jul 27, 2008,
oh alright. I really don't know anything about this ****:P
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by sheldonpardy
oh alright. I really don't know anything about this ****:P

Then read up on articles and heed advice. For something like this, where you could potentially spend quite a wad of cash, take the back seat and take your time.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

yeah I think I'm just going to get 4 new speakers to start. I can wire it all in myself and everything it's just I wasent exactly sure what stuff I needed to buy. Right now I have the stock cd played in the car would it be worth switching it out to my sony xplod cd player? and if I do that should I buy the sony xplod speaks over the pioneers where it's an xplod cd player?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by sheldonpardy
yeah I think I'm just going to get 4 new speakers to start. I can wire it all in myself and everything it's just I wasent exactly sure what stuff I needed to buy. Right now I have the stock cd played in the car would it be worth switching it out to my sony xplod cd player? and if I do that should I buy the sony xplod speaks over the pioneers where it's an xplod cd player?

in my opinion xplodes are crap....pioneer, alpine, infinity are good

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Yeah I only bought the xplod because my jeep never had a cd player and it was on sale at canadian tire for $50 and my jeep was pretty ****ty so it wasent really worth putting an expensive cd player in it.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by numbfinger
1st start by new speakers ( don't get xplodes ) then amp and sub maybe subs but one 12 is usually enough for anyone that don't wanna start breaking **** on the car...in order to get a sub set up you need and external power..mainly from the car battery but there are batteries that you can buy so it don't run off the car batt..but fuse the connection between the battery and the amp...and ground everything to the car itself.....you pretty much need to take it an audio shop if you have no clue on how to do this..cuz you have to remove door panels and stuff if you dont get them back on just right they'll never feel right

i got a new deck and 4 speakers installed for $300.....they said to get a sub a box amp and installation would be about another 325

this isnt for great equipment...for the cheapest crappiest they could find...

yeah like I said, if you want to get decent sound, it starts to get very expensive. also, you don't want your entire car to rattle (it sounds horrendous) so then you gotta do something about that. Then you're gonna want to make sure your sub is only handling the lows and your tweeters (which you also might wanna buy) handle the highs, so you're gonna need a crossover. Then, you might want an EQ. And more.

Of course these aren't all things that you need, but... it can potentially get expensive if you want good sound.

BigFatSandWedit:
Quote by sheldonpardy
Yeah I only bought the xplod because my jeep never had a cd player and it was on sale at canadian tire for $50 and my jeep was pretty ****ty so it wasent really worth putting an expensive cd player in it.

Jesus. You might also need to buy a new head unit, too.
Banging on a trash can
well I'm not planning on investing my life savings into it or anything I'm just going to upgrade it all over time. I'm not planning on going out and spending $1500 to put a sound system in a Cavalier:p
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
^ haha I know. which is why I don't think it's worth it. 4 new speakers will do you just fine.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by powerhead
I still use tapes... Chicks dig it...

its a cheap and good way to hook up the ipod to the car

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3