I currently have a fender deluxe reverb, and a pod xt live also a ts9 tubescreamer

i wanted to build myself a good pedal baord with individual stompboxes,

what are the essentials?

i was thinking

overdrive - my ts9

tuner

distortion a muff?

wah

volume

compressor

flange

delay

echo

anything else i left aside?

how much might a FULL pedal baord might cost me ?

edit : i also have a rocktron banshee talkbox
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jul 27, 2008,
it really depends on the style of music you want to play and what kinds of sounds you're after. you mentioned just about every kind of pedal available, but they aren't all essential necessarily. let me know what you're hoping to get out of your rig, and i'll be able to recommend some stuff.
Quote by BloodBlooms
it really depends on the style of music you want to play and what kinds of sounds you're after. you mentioned just about every kind of pedal available, but they aren't all essential necessarily. let me know what you're hoping to get out of your rig, and i'll be able to recommend some stuff.

I am mostly after diversity, a good overdrive, a good distortion, some effects to boot, as i mostly play rock, and i always find efects useful for soloing, alot of gigging

i would like to go cost efficient on certain things such as the volume pedal, as im not interested in paying nearly 200$ on a volume pedal

fyi i live in canada

No real need for delay AND echo. Volume and compressor aren't really essential either.
Quote by Horlicks
No real need for delay AND echo

i agree on that, i will probably only take a delay

i need pedal suggestions here people
You have a volume on your guitar, which is a hell of a lot more handy.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
You have a volume on your guitar, which is a hell of a lot more handy.

true so i can save on costs there

for wah i was thinking a regular cry baby

delay an mxr carbon copy

a big muff for distortion?

one of those nifty PITCHBLACK tuners

maybe a boss compressor sustainer i like the effect it gives

evh flang?
EVH Phase 90 (phaser), Vox v847 (wah), Boss DD-6 (delay), Boss DS-2 (distortion)

They would probably work well but it's really personal as to whether or not you like a pedal. For a decent pedal board you should expect to spend ~€250-300. For a good one it could be more like €800. Im not sure what thos price are in $canadian
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
here's what i would recommend, then, to give you the most versatility and widest sonic palette.

- Boss TU-2 Tuner. this is kind of the industry standard and you simply can't go wrong with it.

- Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah. there're some very genre-specific wahs out there, but the 535 has 6 different wah modes available plus a variable Q control and boost function. for sheer versatility, it's tops.

- Electro Harmonix Micro POG. any good board has at least one "WTF was that?" pedal. with the Micro POG, you can get anything from polyphonic octaves up or down, or you can set it for organ-ish sounds to pull off some really cool indie rock sounds.

- Maxon ROD-881 or Radial Tonebone TriMode. either of these would be ideal for your overdrive/distortion needs. the combination of your TS9 with the overdrive on either of these would give you incredible blues tones, the distortion channels on either pedal could get you to hard rock territory, and if you boosted the distortion channel on either pedal with the TS-9, you'd get great metal tones and excellent sustain for leads.

- Electro Harmonix Small Clone & Small Stone. these two effects are some of the best on the market. for chorus, the Small Clone can give you anything from subtle shimmer to crazy warble. and the Small Stone phaser is just so smooth, natural sounding, and psychedelic.

- Ibanez AD9. for me, any good pedalboard has at least two delays on it. in a perfect world, one is analog and the other is digital. for great analog delay on the cheap, the AD9 is great. with it, you can get great Gilmour sounds and it just adds some extra space to anything that you play

- Boss DD-20 GigaDelay. in my opinion, this is the best digital delay available. lots of presets; good tape echo, analog, modulated, and reverse simulations; an easy-to-use looper; and more.

THAT would be a phenomenal pedalboard. the only thing it could be lacking is a fuzz pedal, but those are so personal, that you'd really have to experiment with different ones and find the perfect one for you.
You can also have a look at the morley bad horsie wahs as they are very nice

You might also like an EQ like the MXR 10 band one, and maybe a chorus
Quote by ferguson911

delay an mxr carbon copy

evh flang?

plus i think the crybaby acts as a volume pedal while its bypassed (this seems kinda relevant)... well, mine does, but mine's an old JEN elettronica crybaby.

The Big Muff i'd call more of a Fuzz tbh. some say its distortion, others say its fuzz. electro harmonix call it a "distortion/sustainer" but also say its based on hendrix's fuzz tone..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
gotta have a chorus pedal. also a good eq is always great for fine tuning your tone. and like stated above no need for delay and echo.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 27, 2008,
If you're looking to save money, you don't NEED a volume pedal, compressor, or flange, IMO. But it all depends on what you play. Someone else also said it, but you don't need an Echo AND Delay.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
looking into an equalizer, is a 10 band absolutely necessary or a 6 band does more than enough

i loke the idea of a POG but is the micro good enough or is the original just overkill
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jul 27, 2008,
overdrive - my ts9 pretty cool

tuner-Korg Pitchblack or Fender Pt100

distortion-a muff? Good choice

wah-Vox wahs are nice. If your going to be using it clean Id stay away from most Dunlop. Maybe look into a Budda?

volume-not really necessary w/o purpose...do you want it fade out? Fade in? Swells?

compressor -again, not really necessary unless you have a purpose...need the country tone? The extra sustain?

flange - Not really necessary unless you like expirementing. Chorus is my favorite modulation.

delay-Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo

Those are my selections for a good, affordable board.

You really dont need a EQ without a purpose either. The Micro Pog is cool, but do you need an octave? Buying effects shouldn't be for the purpose of owning effects imo. I mean, yeah, they're cool. You can buy them to see if you like them and all. But you should get your essentials first. What YOU need. It matters what you play mainly.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by ferguson911

delay an mxr carbon copy

evh flang?

try a rocktron tri-wah, they are alot cheaper and a great pedal, just not as much hype as the cry baby so cheaper.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
try a rocktron tri-wah, they are alot cheaper and a great pedal, just not as much hype as the cry baby so cheaper.

I'm trying to get the best possible still, so a crbaby wah would be appropriate for me

are boss distortions any good? or should i just get a muff and boost it with the ts9

pog worth it as asked before? micro pog? or real pog

also 6 or 10 band eq, which is better? whats the main diff?
you dont need every effect there is

i havent used flanger in 4 years of guitar playng and im not particularly bothered
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
you dont need every effect there is

i havent used flanger in 4 years of guitar playng and im not particularly bothered

I agree, but i find its always very useful to have in your arsenal :P flanger is the last on my list lets say:P
Quote by ferguson911
I'm trying to get the best possible still, so a crbaby wah would be appropriate for me

are boss distortions any good? or should i just get a muff and boost it with the ts9

pog worth it as asked before? micro pog? or real pog

also 6 or 10 band eq, which is better? whats the main diff?

The crybaby is a very mediocre wah- vox wahs cost the same and sound better.

The boss ds-2 is my favourite distortion pedals and the mega distortion is supposed to be good as well. The boss ds-1 isn't so great.

Unless you need a pitch shifter, don't bother. Get a micro pog if you're on a budget, otherwise go for the real pog.

10 band gives you more control but is not fully necessary. You more than likely wont need an eg pedal
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
The crybaby is a very mediocre wah- vox wahs cost the same and sound better.

The boss ds-2 is my favourite distortion pedals and the mega distortion is supposed to be good as well. The boss ds-1 isn't so great.

Unless you need a pitch shifter, don't bother. Get a micro pog if you're on a budget, otherwise go for the real pog.

10 band gives you more control but is not fully necessary. You more than likely wont need an eg pedal

Good response.

Boss dirt is ok. I LOVE my Blues Driver. But I also love my Muff.

Dunlop wahs are very mediocre. They sound awful clean. Only get one if your only going to be using it with dirt.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I haven't read through all the responses, but please don't ruin that beautiful amp's tone with a bunch of mediocre pedals with bad bypasses.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I haven't read through all the responses, but please don't ruin that beautiful amp's tone with a bunch of mediocre pedals with bad bypasses.

thats why im looking into a little better pedals:P and i need suggeations, anyone have experience with the mxr distortion 3
i'd say it really depends on the tones you're after, and also your amp. if your amp has enough distortion, you probably don't need a distortion pedal, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd say it really depends on the tones you're after, and also your amp. if your amp has enough distortion, you probably don't need a distortion pedal, for example.

my amp has NO distortion its a 1 channel amp
deluxe reverb
what type of music do you play?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
what type of music do you play?

lots :P rock , blues, metal ( less), country even funk

heres what i was looking at

Delay: MXR carbon copy
enveloppe filter mini Q-tron ou q tron
Cry baby wah
tuner
equalizer 6 ou 10
mxr dynacomp
mxr distortion 3

+ my ts 9
Quote by ferguson911
lots :P rock , blues, metal ( less), country even funk

heres what i was looking at

Delay: MXR carbon copy
enveloppe filter mini Q-tron ou q tron
Cry baby wah
tuner
equalizer 6 ou 10
mxr dynacomp
mxr distortion 3

+ my ts 9

Don't get a crybaby
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
Don't get a crybaby

sorry forgot to change that one to like a vox
You may get away with just an OD pedal for most genres. You'll need a distortion for metal, but quite honestly, that amp was not made for metal. If you must have both, then check out the Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde. It's a tubescreamer clone and a distortion pedal in one. And it's true-bypass.

For the wah, it really depends on your budget for the pedal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by ferguson911
my amp has NO distortion its a 1 channel amp
deluxe reverb

won't it distort if you turn it up?

though if you need distortion/overdrive at lower volumes, you're right, you'd need a pedal for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What kind of guitar do you have?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Quote by ferguson911
I currently have a fender deluxe reverb, and a pod xt live also a ts9 tubescreamer

i wanted to build myself a good pedal baord with individual stompboxes,

what are the essentials?

i was thinking

overdrive - my ts9

tuner

distortion a muff?

wah

volume

compressor

flange

delay

echo

anything else i left aside?

how much might a FULL pedal baord might cost me ?

edit : i also have a rocktron banshee talkbox

Uhh, you could buy a zoom g2 to take care of the flange, delay, echo, overdrive and tuner pedals. You can also get wah on it, but it's auto, so I'd probs get a dunlop crybaby, Boss compressor for distortion, depends on your type of music, but maybe a digitech hot head? That'd be a cheap board.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
What kind of guitar do you have?

A G&L Legacy with 3 single emg actif pups

in a few weeks my luthier guitar will be done, prs model with 2 humbuckers (neck SD distortion, bridge dimarzio d-activator

it will have an emg after burner in it
body will be mahogany with a flame maple top neck will also be mahogany and the fretboard will be cocobolo

so yes i beleive i have great guitars a good amp, now all i need is effects to boot :P

no i dont think i want the zoom i rather individual pedals
Uhh, you could buy a zoom g2...QUOTE]
Imo this isnt the best idea to go with, multi effects dont generally have as good sounds as the originals and also with the g2 you cant change between set effects without lots of work (twizzling knobs, selecting things, etc...) while with the stomp boxes its a one hit change to turn the effect on and very easy to read controls to adjust the effect so go with the stomp boxes.

Also TS try a boss MT-2 for a distortion, although many people have started to crit them heavily lately (Why, oh why D they are outstanding distortion pedals
sounds very nice. i'd aim for some kind of booster/overdrive/even distortion if you need a major boost. with your nice gear, i'd probably go boutique, as they often aren't all that much dearer (especially if you go second-hand), and sound much better... the mass-produced gain pedals seem to sound a lot worse than the boutique ones, whereas you could probably get away with a mass-produced flanger, tremolo or chorus (if you needed a those fx); not to mention, gain tends to be a larger part of your sound than fx (though as i said, it does depend on what you play).

tuner is probably a necessity, i missed that earlier.

wah tends to be pretty popular.

you don't seem to have chorus on your list... you could possibly get away with one pedal for both flange and chorus, if you're lucky, as if you set a chorus pedal up with an extreme chorus, it can sound close to flange (or vice-versa with a flanger pedal).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
Uhh, you could buy a zoom g2 to take care of the flange, delay, echo, overdrive and tuner pedals. You can also get wah on it, but it's auto, so I'd probs get a dunlop crybaby, Boss compressor for distortion, depends on your type of music, but maybe a digitech hot head? That'd be a cheap board.

if youre going to shamelessly reccomend your own gear in completely innapropriate situations, you could at least tak it out of your sig first
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'm gonna go ahead and further the thread's recommendation of the Pitch Black tuner

I have a Boss DS-1, most people seem to not like it, but I am content with mine; it is abit noisy. I tend to use my TS9 (which I <3) more then my DS-1, but if I want to make noise, it's a nice pedal.

I have a Keeley modded Crybaby, and I am very happy with it.

There are lots of options for delay/echo, I've heard good things about the MXR Carbon Copy, The Boss DD-7 (which I have tried, and it was really complicated to work)/DD-3, and if you have some extra cash, the Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler is supposed to be godly, but since I am poor, thus far I have just used my amp's delay.

If you build your own pedalboard, it is the cost of the materials, but custom built ones start at about $100 usually.
Quote by imicius
I'm gonna go ahead and further the thread's recommendation of the Pitch Black tuner

I have a Boss DS-1, most people seem to not like it, but I am content with mine; it is abit noisy. I tend to use my TS9 (which I <3) more then my DS-1, but if I want to make noise, it's a nice pedal.

I have a Keeley modded Crybaby, and I am very happy with it.

There are lots of options for delay/echo, I've heard good things about the MXR Carbon Copy, The Boss DD-7 (which I have tried, and it was really complicated to work)/DD-3, and if you have some extra cash, the Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler is supposed to be godly, but since I am poor, thus far I have just used my amp's delay.

If you build your own pedalboard, it is the cost of the materials, but custom built ones start at about $100 usually.

the board it self is not a problem ill pay for a real one with power supply and all on it