Hi all.
I'm looking for a delay, but I need it to have volume swells like the kind used in certain RHCP songs such as Venice Queen, Hard to Concentrate, and Slow Cheetah. I'm aware that the Line6 dl-4 can do this but is there anything that costs a little less that can as well? Naturally I'd want some sort of time delay in it too, but I'm not very picky on that right now. Thanks.
An analogue delay might do this. With certain analogue delays, a repeat can be let to fade out, then brought back merely by turning the feedback know from a setting of 2 to a setting of 10 again.
The line 6 Echo Park has a volume swell mode. Also you might try a volume pedal like the erine ball vp jr. and create your own swells
Quote by ClementWave
It's called your guitar's volume pot. It's free.

All of those songs he mentioned were done with reverb and the guitars volume control, why spend money on anything else, when that works amazingly.
Its just the use of delay and your guitars volume pot as said above or the use of a volume pedal.
I didn't know any delays did that, usually volume swells are done with the guitar's volume pot or a volume pedal. There's also the Boss Slow Gear that does automatic volume swells. However, it's discontinued - Behringer makes a clone which I've heard is decent tho. Also, multieffectspedals might have an effect for volume swells, I know mine does.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I understand it can be done with the volume pot, it's just that I need that sound with a little more flexibility for what I'm planning to do so a pedal is the best option; it would be a bit tough having to mess with the volume pot while I'm trying to switch from one note to the other very quickly.
Quote by ameer
Hi all.
I'm looking for a delay, but I need it to have volume swells like the kind used in certain RHCP songs such as Venice Queen, Hard to Concentrate, and Slow Cheetah. I'm aware that the Line6 dl-4 can do this but is there anything that costs a little less that can as well? Naturally I'd want some sort of time delay in it too, but I'm not very picky on that right now. Thanks.

I'm not sure about delay's, but what about a boss compressor, they have an attack knob on them and you can increase sustain quite alot with one and you can manually do the volume swells using your guitar's volume pot?

I'm probaly wrong, but good luck.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2