hi. i was planning on getting this amp because im a big fan of ampeg and ive played in store for a while. i really liked it. im just not sure how itll do with my band at practice. my drummer doesnt thrash to hard, and my guitarist uses a 30watt line 6. before i had a line6 bass amp that was 75 watts, im deciding to upgrade because it didnt have a big enough speaker in my opinion. (ive read the reviews) any warnings about it, like speaker problems? thank you.
As a major ampeg fan, I have always disappointed with their entry level amps. The BA combos are not loud amps for their wattage and there are a better options in that price range from other manufacturers. What is the upper end of your budget for this amp?
my price wouuld go up to 300-400, i need something that will be loud enough to play in my house ithout anyone complaining in my house while being loud enough for band practice
If it were me, I'd save up a bit more and try to get above the 100 W ceiling.

But a few options here.

1. Check used equipment. You can get some decent deals out there on used combos. I wouldn't look at anything below 200W myself as a band practice amp.

2. Avoid Behringer, lower end Ampegs and lower end GK combos. I have a GK Backline 112. Its OK for a practice amp--otherwise its a forgettable amp.

3. Hartke and Ashdown do make some nice combos around 100 W in your price range. Not everyone likes the Hartke sound but I've liked the ones I've played through in the past. I think one of the Fender Bassman amps are in your price range as well. I am not a fan of Fender Bassman (except the older models and the reissues) or the Rumbles but they have their fans as well.
ok ty. i cant get anything above 100w tho, otherwise my parents will complain its to big. i couldnt get a gk half stack because of that. but thank you for the info
75W to 100W won't make much difference.

As an effective practice amp for band situations, you seriously need 150W+. If you intend to play gigs with said amp, you're looking at 250W+.

Don't bother if you can't go above 100W.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
75W to 100W won't make much difference.

As an effective practice amp for band situations, you seriously need 150W+. If you intend to play gigs with said amp, you're looking at 250W+.

Don't bother if you can't go above 100W.

ive played gigs with a 75w. didnt even need to turn it up over 3/4 way. and my guitarist only uses a 30w i dont need 250w im not trying to drowned him out. 100w would be perfect
personally i would try a carvin out if you live in california or just risk it and buy one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-w-Tweeter-Bass-Combo?sku=482902 its twice the wattage you wants but just convince your parents that you will need one in the future and its a better investment then a 100 watt amp that you will think is not loud enough and want to replace in a few years
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by telecastrmastr
ive played gigs with a 75w. didnt even need to turn it up over 3/4 way. and my guitarist only uses a 30w i dont need 250w im not trying to drowned him out. 100w would be perfect

Warwick Sweet 15.2, 150 watts, and a full graphic equaliser.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
ampeg BA are not bad but they dont have enougn power IMO and the one i tred cliped at half of volume, altough it sounded great at lower volumes
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by telecastrmastr
ok ty. i cant get anything above 100w tho, otherwise my parents will complain its to big. i couldnt get a gk half stack because of that. but thank you for the info

tell u parents their dumb.
I've had nothing but good stuff from by 12 inch ampeg combo that I've had for a long time. It's gigged with me in gymnasiums and restaurants from rock to jazz and always been able to hold its own. That said, I've used a Hartke combo amp that was great too, very powerful for its size and had a great sound (I used it for jazz).
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
I've had nothing but good stuff from by 12 inch ampeg combo that I've had for a long time. It's gigged with me in gymnasiums and restaurants from rock to jazz and always been able to hold its own. That said, I've used a Hartke combo amp that was great too, very powerful for its size and had a great sound (I used it for jazz).

What model do you have? I have the BA3158 (older model BA series) and its a loud 150w or what I'd expect from that wattage. The newer BAs just don't seem to cut it though.
I use that amp in school all the time.

I don't care for it personally, I can't even hear myself at max volume when playing with my death metal band. It handles the low frequencies very poorly, playing the B-string on my fiver just makes an awful distorted noise.

If you're not gonna be playing at crazy high volumes and down tuned I guess it's a pretty good amp... Maybe for funk and rock. Depends on how you like the sound I guess.

Quote by anarkee
As a major ampeg fan, I have always disappointed with their entry level amps. The BA combos are not loud amps for their wattage and there are a better options in that price range from other manufacturers. What is the upper end of your budget for this amp?

Agreed. I prefer my Ashdown combo amp over the BA, and it costs less than a third of the BA's price.. atleast where I live. If I were you I'd look around and check out some other brands aswell before making your decision.