I am in desperate need of an overdrive pedal I can use for metal on the crunch or burn channels of my mesa express. I have asked quite a few people but most seem bent on buying boutique pedals with 250$ price tags that a university student like myself just cant afford at the moment. Anyways I've found a few alternatives that might just work. I found a used Boss SD-1 Super overdrive for 45$, an ibanez tube screamer, an MXR Zak Wylde Distortion, MXR CSP-021 GT-OD Overdrive Pedal and most interestingly I like the sound of the Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer Metal X-L Pedal ( link below). I really dont want my amp to try to sound like a marshall clone I just want some decent high gain tone and this seems to have both OD and distortion so it seems to cover all the bases for a good price. Im looking for under 100$ basically any other suggestions without this price range would be great. Thanks in advance

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JH1-Jackhammer-Metal-XL-Pedal?sku=150332
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I think a Tube Screamer would be your best bet here.

The mid hump might be problematic though compared to the others. Was my only concern for this pedal.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Horlicks
Marshall sound is middy to begin with so the TS would help out

The marshall pedal can be scooped though and I've heard some decent clips of this scooped setting.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The marshall pedal can be scooped though and I've heard some decent clips of this scooped setting.

But Marshall sound=/=scooped mids
Quote by Slanderous666

No, he's saying that the Marshall (amp) tone is pretty middy already, so a middy pedal wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: beat me to it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Boss OS-2. Overdrive AND distortion, and you get to blend between the 2. would be your best choice imo.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by aznrockerdude
No, he's saying that the Marshall (amp) tone is pretty middy already, so a middy pedal wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: beat me to it.

TS said he doesn't a want to have a Marshallesque tone.
Quote by rokket2005
TS said he doesn't a want to have a Marshallesque tone.

Then why is he looking at a Marshall pedal?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Then why is he looking at a Marshall pedal?

He's looking for an overdrive pedal, and the fact that Marshall makes one that he's looking at doesn't necessary means he wants the signature middy Marshall tone.
Quote by rokket2005
He's looking for an overdrive pedal, and the fact that Marshall makes one that he's looking at doesn't necessary means he wants the signature middy Marshall tone.

Quote by Musician's Friend Jackhammer link
This Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer effects pedal features 2 modes to capture both the JCM800 crunch and the extreme JCM2000 lead sounds. Besides the mode switch the pedal also has controls for gain volume mid mid-contour bass and treble.

Then he clearly didn't read enough about the Jackhammer.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude

I won't argue with that. On topic, if ts is after a high gain overdrive that isn't super high end maxon 808's are very nice for pushing amps, and lots of people rave about bad monkeys too, but they strike me as going more towards the hot rodded 800 tone, which may or may not be what you're after?
Quote by Vecheka

Not an OD, besides it sounds shit
Quote by rokket2005
I won't argue with that. On topic, if ts is after a high gain overdrive that isn't super high end maxon 808's are very nice for pushing amps, and lots of people rave about bad monkeys too, but they strike me as going more towards the hot rodded 800 tone, which may or may not be what you're after?

Bad Monkeys are Tubescreamer copies, like most OD pedals. About the hot-rodded 800 tone thing, that depends more on the amp than the actual pedal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by rokket2005

+1

I know the jack hammer is suppose to emulate marshall amps but I highly doubt it does and I just thought the scooped abilities would be cool as well as it being a mix of OD and distortion. I am definately going to take a look at the bad monkey and the Maxon pedal mentioned. I have heard rave reviews on the bad monkey and its 40$ wow. Really might be a nice surprise but I'll check out the maxon too.

Metal muff is nice and its my backup plan but it sounds very... SS I think it would suck any warmth out of my amp. I'm thinking pure OD is the way to go.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Vecheka

listen to him. he knows what hes talking about.
Quote by venom0014
listen to him. he knows what hes talking about.

Why would a metal muff be better than an od or boost?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I am toying with the idea of mixing a danelectro 7 band EQ with a boost pedal. I wonder how that would work?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
BTW will turning the vol on my guitar low and the vol on my amp high give me better tube saturation?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by aznrockerdude

if he turns the gain to 0 and turns the volume up high, and adjusts the EQ however he wants it, which it sounds like he's planning to do since he clearly stated he was using the overdrive channel on his mesa amp, it shouldn't sound too specifically marshally, especially not with scooped mids. Now stop being awkward.

Also if you want an OD/Boost, the metal muff is not what you're looking for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
if he turns the gain to 0 and turns the volume up high, and adjusts the EQ however he wants it, which it sounds like he's planning to do since he clearly stated he was using the overdrive channel on his mesa amp, it shouldn't sound too specifically marshally, especially not with scooped mids. Now stop being awkward.

I assumed he was going to use it as a distortion pedal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420