Yes, I did search, and I found nothing that I could understand as a definitive answer.

I have a body that is routed for a FR, so I need a locking nut, which I have. The neck I have has a shelf for a standard nut, and no space behind it. I can not fit the locking nut on.

I will post a picture when I can.

My question is, can I modify this neck to put locking nut on?

EDIT: pics

A is nut shelf, B is angle on headstock/truss rod groove, C is locking nut, D is locking tuner (x6).

Also, do I need the locking nut if I have the locking tuners?

EDIT: sorry for horrible quality! It is brand new 7.1 megapixel camera, but with the flash turned off (when on it made too much glare, could not see the neck) my hands are too unsteady to take a good pic. Also, upload limit here is 50 kb lol!
Attachments:
Floyd Rose Nut Issues.jpg
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jul 27, 2008,
I would imagine yes, but it depends on the neck. If the existing nut is sitting in a grove then widen the grove.If it has no space be hild try removing some wood from the end of the neck.
thats my guess i'l know more when i see a pic

edit: I'd say just take a piece out of your first fret just enough to make it fit so you still have room
edit 2:yes you need a locking nut with a fr the locking tuners wont hold it in tune, there better than nothing but go for the locking nut
LP mod thingy

buy guitars please, need money for RGR420ex
Member No.18 of the 'Yes I am Irish and no more Leprechaun jokes please'
"Member #9 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club. PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join"
Last edited by driftrs13 at Jul 27, 2008,
I would say yes. If you could get a metal locking nut. Then you would have to cut out the shape of the nut on the head, and maybe go a millimeter lower than the standard nut height. Get Spacers to bring it back up and to give it a pitch so it isn't flat. Finally predrill the screws that hold it in place. I dont think you have the skills, tools, or patience to do it. Most people don't including myself, but I could be wrong. Take it to a shop or ship it.
Well I had the skills, tools, and the patience to build the whole damn guitar lol! A little nut installation doesn't worry me.

EDIT: Ok but if I take a piece of the first fret, wont that mess up my intonation really bad?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
damm it wil i've just seen the frets didnt know you had them installed already.
the only other thing i can think of is to some hw add a small piece behind the head to make more room to install the nut...i'l keep thinking
LP mod thingy

Quote by Øttər
Well I had the skills, tools, and the patience to build the whole damn guitar lol! A little nut installation doesn't worry me.

EDIT: Ok but if I take a piece of the first fret, wont that mess up my intonation really bad?

I'm pretty sure that's how you're supposed to do it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
After seeing the pics, the only way it seems possible is to cut and sand it down until the base of the new nut can fit the cut out. Then build it back up with a metal spacer that can be screwed into place, and have threads for the nut.
To explain it better, use that shelf (A) as a line, and cut it down until you have a flat wide enough base, and build it back up witha spacer.

The only prob with that idea is you might hit the trus rod screw head, or thin the neck out too much and it may be really fragile.

Everyone on this site can be a little too sensitive. I hope you didn't get your feathers ruffled cuz if I wanted to be disrespectful I sure as hell would not be thinking of how to fix your guitar. Good luck
Last edited by TollBoothWorker at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by TollBoothWorker
To explain it better, use that shelf (A) as a line, and cut it down until you have a flat wide enough base, and build it back up witha spacer.

yeah kinda where i was goin' with it you'l have t o build up the space behing the nut position with some wood or timber.
how did you only discover this now?and not when u were measuring the scale lenght and such
LP mod thingy

I cant shim it, because the mounting holes on the nut would actually interfere with the truss rod channel...

I think maybe it would best if I just got a new neck that was built by a professional to accept a floyd rose nut. Thanks everyone for your help.

So uh... anyone want a neck? I'll go post in the sales forum.

EDIT: How did I discover it now? Well, to be honest, I'm dumb **** haha! I thought the locking tuners would work in place of the nut, until I strung it up with normal nut and realized the error of my ways. !!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
How did I discover it now? Well, to be honest, I'm dumb **** haha! I thought the locking tuners would work in place of the nut, until I strung it up with normal nut and realized the error of my ways. !!

ah yes thats what i had expected, easy mistake to make, well you'l learn for the next project.
nice guitar your building should turn out well
LP mod thingy

Thank you! Yes it is my sig, I finally got the paint shiny .

Once again thanks for everyones help!

*thread closes* !
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo