Ive been recently striping the paint off my squier strat to repaint it using the green nitromors. There apears to be small blotches which i think is where the stripper has gone through the primer. The problem is, when I try to strip the primer it doesnt come off. Would I need to just sand it off, or could I just spray and sand on some new primer till the primer is even.
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
Quote by 12joey.c12
Ive been recently striping the paint off my squier strat to repaint it using the green nitromors. There apears to be small blotches which i think is where the stripper has gone through the primer. The problem is, when I try to strip the primer it doesnt come off. Would I need to just sand it off, or could I just spray and sand on some new primer till the primer is even.

Definitely! Use 320 or 400 grit with a block sander so you can keep the flat areas level. Then shoot the sanding sealer/primer on the roughened surface. Make sure to wipe off the dust with a damp rag.

Will it matter if there is still old primer on the guitar? Will I need to sand it all down?

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
i tried to do the same thing to my squier but instead i stained it...i realized that i sanded too mch in certain areas with heavy grit sand paper so it made big open pores in the wood which looked dumb at first but when i stained it it gave it a cool worn vintage look...but i advise to be very delicate with the guitar while sanding even though its only a squier....im sure you dont want to have to buy another one because you screwed up on the last one....but with the primer question i think you could do what you said about spraying and sanding primer untill its even then just do an even paint job and it should be coo
Last edited by quo at Jul 27, 2008,
No it doesn't really matter. Typically, when refinishing a guitar, you sand it down to the sealer, and ensure that the whole guitar is flat and even. Then you spray primer, colour, and then clear.

EDIT: Are you staining it? Take it down to absolutely bare wood, otherwise the stain will not soak in.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
No, I'm painting it white then stenciling on some graphics like a tribal dragon and a flaming iron cross or something.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
Ok. Well just sand it down to the primer until there are no more shiny spots, and then do your colour, followed by stencil, followed by clear.

Ippon is sort of the go to guy for this stuff, at least as far as I know. You may want to wait for him to answer this, or just PM him or something.

EDIT: Oh wait lol he did. Follow his advice. He is the paint pwn0rz.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.