Dearest Pitmonkeys,
i was looking for a banjo in the price range of 100-200 dollars, but the reviews on musicians friend were not encouraging at all. does anyone know of any cheap banjos that maybe werent there, or maybe someone has first hand experience with a cheap yet good quality banjo? i would move the price to 250, if it was absolutely neccessary. Thanks for the help every one.
Love,
Pete
I don't know about the exchange rate, but I got a banjo that is the same tuning as a guitar with 6 strings to save me learning yet another instrument. It was £150 from hobgoblin music and I think they do business state-side. I suggest having a bash with them as they have great prices on the more folk orientated instruments.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
well, because of the way banjos are made you're definitely going to have to get one used...

theres two types of banjos folk and bluegrass, folk dont have a resonator and a decent one is about 400-1000, bluegrass is the one with a wood back and for a good one is about 500-2000
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Ganjo,
or
bituar.

Guitar/banjo hybrid.

so much fun!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Quote by daniel.mycoe
I don't know about the exchange rate, but I got a banjo that is the same tuning as a guitar with 6 strings to save me learning yet another instrument. It was £150 from hobgoblin music and I think they do business state-side. I suggest having a bash with them as they have great prices on the more folk orientated instruments.

Thats like 400 bucks
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by Crazymike100
Ganjo,
or
bituar.

Guitar/banjo hybrid.

so much fun!

It's called a banjuitar, and they're not as good as proper banjos.

TS, if you're looking to get a 5 string bluegrass banjo, you're going to need to splash out more than that to get anything decent, anything at that price isn't going to be any use. Trust me, I know from 1st hand experience.
banjuitars arent cool sorry, low strings dont sound good at all to an actual banjo player.

assuming you are getting an actual bluegrass banjo (five strings) you will probably want to get a nice one used, the good thing about banjos is that they age well, it might just need a new skin, look at alabama brand or anything that you can try that plays easy, sounds good, and is heavy as **** (banjos should be heavy as ****ing possible)
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
go to banjohangout.com. They have extensive guides on purchasing your first cheap banjo, and tabs, and pretty much anything else you could ever need.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Banjo is the most metal instrument once you master triple picking
(tis true, try finding somebody who plays metal banjo though)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by blynd_snyper
Quote by Crazymike100
Ganjo,
or
bituar.

Guitar/banjo hybrid.

so much fun!
It's called a banjuitar, and they're not as good as proper banjos.

It really should be called a 'ganjo' though, it's so much of a better name than 'banjuitar'.
Way to post the most cliche song for banjo of all time. I actually posted something interesting.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
my girlfriend got me a banjo for my birthday =)
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
am I the only one who doesn't want another banjo player in the world?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom