Hey, i dont know much about effects and im sure all you pedalheads out there can help me out here.....

Im using an epiphone lp custom through a vox valvetronix amp with a dunlop slash wah (im pretty sure the zakk whylde wah was a better buy cos i never use the inbuilt distortion cos it sounds crap) and im lookin for the best distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal for under 100 british pounds.......

The ones ive looked at are...

1. The marshall Guvnor Plus
2. The Electro Harmonix Big Muff USA
3. The Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
4. The Boss Metalzone

I play mainly Rock/Hard Rock/Metal/Punk, bands like Biffy Clyro, QOTSA, Rage against the machine, Audioslave, Ozzy, Foo fighters (and other bands) but i also would like a cutting sound for my solos (zakk wylde being one of my idols)

Plus would these pedals sound good thru a PA system or would there be too little distortion as my amp is too small for gigging
metal muff is a sweet all around pedal. mostly metal, but can be dialed in for a bunch of other stuff too.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
An old marshall guvnor can nail pretty much any marshall heads tone, which makes it perfect for Rage and Audioslave, as Tom Morellos overdrive is solely his JCM800.

IMO the big muff wont get you the tones you desire. Its more of a wall of noise, without clarity, which is pretty cool, but wont get you any tones the bands you suggested have.

Never tried the metal muff, but if its anything like the big muff but with more gain, again, it wont work.

biffy clyros guitarist uses a boss Mt-2. personally, I think this is the best pedal youve suggested. My old amps distortion was based on its sound, and I could nail nearly all the bands youve suggested tones.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
ok i thought simon neil used the Guvnor but wikipedia has never been the most reliable source :P........yeh ive heard mixed reviews about the metalzone pedal but if it could handle biffys stuff id be well chuffed with it (im a huge fan)

Thanks for the info

Oh yeh if like Biffy then check out Fighting with wire........awsome band from Derry/Ireland who are pretty damn good!!
Theres an interview with Simon neil on youtube, at download 08 i think it was. The asked him how he got his huge sound, to which he replied Boss MT-2 and running a few amps at the same time. IIRC the amps he had running at the same time were just on a crunchy setting to fill the sound out, so the MT-2 should deffo get you some biffy tones.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.