Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to get a good quality practice amp (preferably solid state since i want to be able to sound ok at low volumes as well as in practices), and my question is, is it worth it to get a modelling amp with built in effects i.e. vox valvetronix or roland cube, or a standad practice amp, i.e. peavey envoy etc.
as long as your playing low volume ss is the way you wanna go. i hear good things about the cube, never heard a bad review. just try out whatever your looking at b4 you buy it.
(signature removed, please choose another)
This seems to be a common misconception. Valve amps sound much better at high volumes compared to SS, but that doesn't mean to say they sound worse at lower volumes. They are still often of higher quality than SS or at least similar at lower volumes - don't rule out tube amps
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I like the roland cube and vox valvetronix and would definitly take either of them over an envoy.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
This seems to be a common misconception. Valve amps sound much better at high volumes compared to SS, but that doesn't mean to say they sound worse at lower volumes. They are still often of higher quality than SS or at least similar at lower volumes - don't rule out tube amps

that's true. but for a practice amp, i would rather have a whole bunch of crap to mess with. instead of messing with pedals and such. :/
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by Billy Picken
The new peavey viper or a cube.

First off, it's vampyre, if you don't know the name you can't really give a recommendation. Secondly, no.
Quote by Horlicks
First off, it's vampyre, if you don't know the name you can't really give a recommendation. Secondly, no.

Errrm, no it's not ...
It's actually a vypyr
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by Horlicks
OH

fuck

SELF ENIHILATION.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Self Annihilation.

Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
SELF ENIHILATION.

PLEASE tell me that was done on purpose o.O
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Line 6 Flextone.

Ahem.

ALL THE POWER OF A POD XT IN ONE CONVINENT KICKASS AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
Cam Sampbell's my hero
All SS amps are modelers.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty

Sorry, what? o.O
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by DSchmitty

No they're not.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Probably worth it. You don't need the best tone for practice, so as long as you can get some chorus, reverb, or delay or whatever you need for whatever you're doing, it'll be a good call. Won't sound as good as pedals, but it'll make it easier to keep around, use, take up less space, and all that ****
LOLOLOLOL

anyway, imma gonna get the flame here, but if you like a bunch of different amp models in an amp. at least check out the spider III's or spider valves. i have a spider III 150watt and love the thing. it does wat i want it to do, and dangit! it does have good tone!

now, like i said, i'm goin to get flamed as a tone deaf n00b, but i have played guitars ranging from a squier to an EJ strat to a Trussart Les Paul, and I own a MIA deluxe fender. I have played tons of amps ranging from my spider III to a matchless 35watt( WHICH IS FREAKING AMAZING!), so i know tone. I know that generally a tube amp is more clear and tonally better than my spider, BUT a tube amp will not do what my spider does for the price that i paid for my spider. why am i saying this? i really dont know, but for some reason, i desired for people to take me seriously.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
LOLOLOLOL

anyway, imma gonna get the flame here, but if you like a bunch of different amp models in an amp. at least check out the spider III's or spider valves. i have a spider III 150watt and love the thing. it does wat i want it to do, and dangit! it does have good tone!

now, like i said, i'm goin to get flamed as a tone deaf n00b, but i have played guitars ranging from a squier to an EJ strat to a Trussart Les Paul, and I own a MIA deluxe fender. I have played tons of amps ranging from my spider III to a matchless 35watt( WHICH IS FREAKING AMAZING!), so i know tone. I know that generally a tube amp is more clear and tonally better than my spider, BUT a tube amp will not do what my spider does for the price that i paid for my spider. why am i saying this? i really dont know, but for some reason, i desired for people to take me seriously.

I don't know if you're serious but if you are i agree with you. Most people here hate anything but tubes. The funny fact is that most of these can't even tell if a sound clip is tube or not. I've seen many threads like guess the amp things. So i would say spider is good for practice but a flexitone will be able to handle both practice and gigs.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
I don't know if you're serious but if you are i agree with you. Most people here hate anything but tubes. The funny fact is that most of these can't even tell if a sound clip is tube or not. I've seen many threads like guess the amp things. So i would say spider is good for practice but a flexitone will be able to handle both practice and gigs.

I'm sorry but that really made me lol.
There are several reasons behind not being able to hear the differences between tubes and SS through shitty computer speakers...
In real life, it's a much easier task, i can assure you
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by Attack
I wondered how long it would be until somebody brought that up.

And no. Spiders are crap. Stop being the Indie kid who thinks they are alone on UG in not liking tube amps or whatever it is you do.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'm sorry but that really made me lol.
There are several reasons behind not being able to hear the differences between tubes and SS through shitty computer speakers...
In real life, it's a much easier task, i can assure you

Still i don't agree. One of my favourite bands Falconer actually use it for recordings and gigs so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
Quote by Attack
Still i don't agree. One of my favourite bands Falconer actually use it for recordings and gigs so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
That's no justification at all. Kerry King has a signature MG, that doesn't make it a good amp.
Quote by Attack

Are we talking about SS technology in general here?

Or a spider?

EDIT: If you're referring to a Flextone, then that's perfectly acceptable. Flextones are perfectly good amps. The reason i loled was purely because you called it a 'flexitone'
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by MrCarrot
That's no justification at all. Kerry King has a signature MG, that doesn't make it a good amp.

But Kerry King doesn't actually use it does he? I thought Zakk and Kerry did it just for advertisement.
Quote by Attack

i'm serious. yea, a flextone would be amazing if you can afford it. that very well me my next amp instead of a tube simply because i love line 6's format. they do very well at what they do.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Attack
But Kerry King doesn't actually use it does he? I thought Zakk and Kerry did it just for advertisement.
He makes out like he does.

That's not the point though, it's just a similar principle - an artist using or endorsing something is not justification for something being good. Tone is subjective and should never be decided like that.
Quote by MrCarrot
I wondered how long it would be until somebody brought that up.

And no. Spiders are crap. Stop being the Indie kid who thinks they are alone on UG in not liking tube amps or whatever it is you do.

lol i'm sorry but that's funny. do you think someone (as myself) would seriously keep an amp if it was crap simply to make a fashion statement? seriously dude, i could have found some noob to buy my amp for a rip off price and got me a tube amp long before now if that was the case. the spider simply is a great amp for what i do, and i do actually love the tone that i get. is it the best? no, but for the price tag and the volume it gets to, the thing truly is awesome.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Are we talking about SS technology in general here?

Or a spider?

EDIT: If you're referring to a Flextone, then that's perfectly acceptable. Flextones are perfectly good amps. The reason i loled was purely because you called it a 'flexitone'

Yes i meant that lol. Not the spider definitely. I'm not saying i love spiders or mgs or trying to be the cool indie tube hater. I agree that mgs and spiders should only be used as practice amps but certain music needs certain tones. I like metal so i have no trouble with the sound of flextone and mt-2. Of course it's stupid if you try to play blues or classic rock with mt-2. I'm simply saying that tone is a matter of personal taste. Well, i guess we're cool.
Quote by bored_maniac33
i'm serious. yea, a flextone would be amazing if you can afford it. that very well me my next amp instead of a tube simply because i love line 6's format. they do very well at what they do.

Flextone is in a whole other ball park to the Spiders...
I'll actually second looking into flextones. They can be found verrry cheap used also

EDIT: ^
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by bored_maniac33
lol i'm sorry but that's funny. do you think someone (as myself) would seriously keep an amp if it was crap simply to make a fashion statement?
....That made no sense.
Quote by MrCarrot
....That made no sense.

EDITED
i thought it did...anyway ill translate my thought better lol.

do you seriously think i would say that i love my spider (and keep my spider)simply to be the "indy kid"? to try to be fashionable. like saying that if one tries to be indy they are trying to follow a certain fashion.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^For a start, i don't think that comment was actually aimed at you mate, and secondly, i think the majority agree the spider shouldn't even be considered. Your suggestion of a flextone however, should be
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by bored_maniac33
EDITED
i thought it did...anyway ill translate my thought better lol.

do you seriously think i would say that i love my spider (and keep my spider)simply to be the "indy kid"? to try to be fashionable. like saying that if one tries to be indy they are trying to follow a certain fashion.
First of all notice that my comment wasn't directed at you.

But if you must have clarification then I used the term 'indie kid' to mean 'to try to be fashionable' in response to Attack's comment about UG bandwagons.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Flextone is in a whole other ball park to the Spiders...
I'll actually second looking into flextones. They can be found verrry cheap used also

EDIT: ^

oh yea, i kno, hence the price tag. but for the price, the spider, to me, is still an awesome deal.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by MrCarrot
First of all notice that my comment wasn't directed at you.

But if you must have clarification then I used the term 'indie kid' to mean 'to try to be fashionable' in response to Attack's comment about UG bandwagons.

ah, ok, my bad. i knew that you were responding to him, but it sounded like you were attacking ppl who said they preffered spiders in general. sorry about that.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *catching breath* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Did I make my point? Seriously though, you may like your spider now but trust me, you will begin to notice that it's not up to par with other amps.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *catching breath* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Did I make my point? Seriously though, you may like your spider now but trust me, you will begin to notice that it's not up to par with other amps.

lol i'm having to do a lot of cleaning up for things i've said.....

yea, i kno that its not as clear as tubes. but the tube amps that produce the sounds that i want cost way more than my spider and dont come with any effects. if you read further in my post you'll see that i acknowledge that. for me, my spider makes the most sense, and i personally love the tones that i get out of it. yes, i know better stuff is out there, but i cant afford it and i dont want a 5watt tube amp with a bunch of effect pedals to match wat i get with my spider with a lot less volume.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by cmakkidguitar
PLEASE tell me that was done on purpose o.O

Just to clear that up, yes it was.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Page 1 of 2