So i bought the pedal from ebay for $42 and i have some money left over and i was wondering if its worth modding it. Ive been looking at this kit
http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bossge7
will it make a big difference? and if i wanted to do the mod would it be difficult? thanks
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
The parts they give you are good quality, some tropical fish caps, new OPamps... The LED will most likely be used to replace the red LED in the pedal, which is really just a physical thing, and the rest of the parts are probably just better quality and maybe a slightly different value. The OPamps might change the sound, but I don't think the sound will change drastically.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
The parts they give you are good quality, some tropical fish caps, new OPamps... The LED will most likely be used to replace the red LED in the pedal, which is really just a physical thing, and the rest of the parts are probably just better quality and maybe a slightly different value. The OPamps might change the sound, but I don't think the sound will change drastically.

Hahaha no they dont, where did you come to that conclusion?

The mod kit is soposed to be all "hi-fi" so they upgrade a lot of components to metal film and other such crap. Using all tropical fish caps would not make a pedal more "hifi" at all.
Quote by kurtlives91
Hahaha no they dont, where did you come to that conclusion?

The mod kit is soposed to be all "hi-fi" so they upgrade a lot of components to metal film and other such crap. Using all tropical fish caps would not make a pedal more "hifi" at all.

I thought tantalum was a tropical fish ... I'm more of an electronics noob than I thought... whatever. Listen to Kurtlives, he has a ton more experience with this stuff .
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
cant speak for the ge-7 mod but i did monte allums bd-2 plus mod and it made the pedal heaps better. more transparent sound, smoother overdrive... lovely kit. well put together and clear instructions.
Thank you please.
Quote by asfastasdark
I thought tantalum was a tropical fish ... I'm more of an electronics noob than I thought... whatever. Listen to Kurtlives, he has a ton more experience with this stuff .

Thanks

I notice they use tantalums... not the best idea imo.

Tantalums arent great for that hi-fi sound they are going for. Tantalums have a lower "Equivalent Series Resistance", and some people seem to think that automatically makes them better, but many tantalums have a significant amount of waveform distortion when coupling an AC signal. Maybe this distortion is what makes some people prefer them, in some cases that can make them sound very bad though.

I'm not a fan of them. Id rather use some nice electro caps or some nice NP film caps.
Quote by kurtlives91
Thanks

I notice they use tantalums... not the best idea imo.

Tantalums arent great for that hi-fi sound they are going for. Tantalums have a lower "Equivalent Series Resistance", and some people seem to think that automatically makes them better, but many tantalums have a significant amount of waveform distortion when coupling an AC signal. Maybe this distortion is what makes some people prefer them, in some cases that can make them sound very bad though.

I'm not a fan of them. Id rather use some nice electro caps or some nice NP film caps.

do u know of a mod kit that contains those? Or can everything in that kit be bought by piece?
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
this is going to be my first mod so i thought it was easier for me to get a kit, do u know of a reliable web site that i can order the parts from?
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
thanks for the help man
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
i did get parts for my second mod, a ds-1 to keeley specs, and it wasnt too hard but a full set of instructions for my first one was good for my confidence... dont let people put you off a kit if its what you want. not everyone turns into a wiring genius on their first mod.
Thank you please.
Quote by deadlydunc
i did get parts for my second mod, a ds-1 to keeley specs, and it wasnt too hard but a full set of instructions for my first one was good for my confidence... dont let people put you off a kit if its what you want. not everyone turns into a wiring genius on their first mod.

i get what ur saying, but i knew b4 i found the kit that i would save some money if i bought the parts myself. thanks
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1