I bought a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps for 200 bucks and they arrived Friday. I've been treating them really well, but when I was listening to my music last night (and right now actually) I keep hearing a dip in volume for like a second or two on the left earphone. Is this an artifact on the recording or a problem with the earphone? Do I need to change the filters? Could it be because I'm using the foam eartips instead of the silicone ones?

Here is the amazon page in case maybe you know these but not by name: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007WZLDC/ref=nosim/coffeeresearch78024-20
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
The cover your using shouldn't effect the volume like that. They might be faulty. Were you using them with an Ipod or other mp3 player? Or just your computer?
Both. I first realized it with my iPod, but now I'm listening on the computer. I just moved the cord and the volume went up a lot, now it just went down after I moved the chord again.

At first I thought it could be microphonics, but I'm sure it's not that.

This sucks, I bought these for a trip and now they won't work well on the trip.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Both. I first realized it with my iPod, but now I'm listening on the computer. I just moved the cord and the volume went up a lot, now it just went down after I moved the chord again.

At first I thought it could be microphonics, but I'm sure it's not that.

This sucks, I bought these for a trip and now they won't work well on the trip.

Seems like the wiring is messed up. I would contact Amazon or wherever you bought them from and let them know so you can get some new ones.
Quote by filthandfury
Does it only do it on one track? Only on the computer? Only on the iPod?

It does it on a lot of tracks and it happens on both the iPod and the computer.

*sigh* I guess I'll have to send them back to Etymotics and get them replaced under warranty. This sucks I bought them partly for the trip I'm going on tomorrow and now I'll only get them back when I come back.

Wait I just thought! These things have been in constant use the past few days, could that be a problem. It says in the manual that perspiration could cause the earphones to stop working, do you think it could cause a dip in volume?