OK, most people when they talk about improving tone usually talk about getting new pups or a new amp, both of which are rather expensive for a casual player such as myself. So for people like me, what are some cheap or free ways to improve or modify one's tone? For example, changing pickup height. I did that the other day to my jet king and tweaked the sound a bit to make it more of my own. Are their other ways to do the same sorta thing?

Thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well, you could try different strings. They may sort of change your tone a little. Maybe.

Aside from changing pickup height, which doesn't really do much either, your options are:

Upgrading Hardware
Upgrading Pickups
New Guitar
New Amp
Effects Pedals

That is all I can really think of.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
My friend took his nut off his old squier and replaced it with tightly rolled paper. I guess he got the idea from someone else, it reduces sustain but creates a much, much warmer, deeper tone. You can always put the nut back too.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Øttər
Well, you could try different strings. They may sort of change your tone a little. Maybe.

Aside from changing pickup height, which doesn't really do much either, your options are:

Upgrading Hardware
Upgrading Pickups
New Guitar
New Amp
Effects Pedals

That is all I can really think of.

yea thats wat i was thinking....*sigh* i dont like not being able to spend money... DANG YOU HIGHER EDUCATION!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Get an EQ stomp box. A Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips runs about $30.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
You could also change the cap values or rewire the pickups out of phase with each other.
Quote by gallagher2006
I finger my asshole for the lulz
lol well the amp is just a spider III 150watt, so nothing special there. it works well to me tho. the guitar in question is an ibanez jetking JTK1. i like it and all, but its kinda boring compared to my MIA deluxe strat; therefore, i'm looking for ways to spruce it up and make it unique.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well, from the specs I read it looks like you've already got coil-split switches. Sounds pretty versatile to me. You might be able to rewire those as series/parallel switches if you wanted to do some soldering. (and if the switches are DPDT, but I bet they are SPST). You could do a phase invert switch if you like that sort of sound.
Whack a killswitch in there? Actually that probably won't work cos it'll involve drilling holes and stuff. Killswitches are fun though
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
yea...i probly will just wait and do a pick-up job later
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
one of the cheapest, most effective ways of getting a variety of tones is by changing the wiring scheme.

most guitars have very simple schemes.
if it has HBs, the coils of each are wired in series.
if it has more than one pickup, they're each selected or two pickups as a parallel pair.

having the option of selecting pickups in series with each other
or having the 2 coils of each HB available as split or in parallel
expands your tonal palette.

a superswitch and some mini-toggles or push-pull pots cost a fraction of what new pickups cost.
and the new wiring scheme can still be used if you upgrade your pickups later.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.