Hey guys and girls, I just joined the forums on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem that is ultimately stumping my learning of guitar:
On many guitar solo's and a few riffs, I've noticed you must hit something like this

----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------3---------------------------------------
--------------------3--------------------------------------------
---2---2-----3-----------------------------------------------------

Or something to that matter. My problem is hitting the same fret on a different string right after I hit it on the first string. I've tried holding the different strings down on the fret all at once, but they ring together and give a nasty sound.

Please help
you have to kind of.. roll your finger so that as it relieves pressure on the lower strings it also mutes them
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Search on YouTube for something like "sweep picking lessons". Try to apply that "rolling" technique part they use and it should help.
Quote by Guitar_Hero2334
Thanks much. Can't believe I'm already having to learn sweep picking lol.

If you've not been playing long then don't bother - sweep picking is a difficult, advanced technique.

Bly long I mean at least a year, and that's a best case scenario - there's no point trying to tackle something like sweeping until you've got a good grasp of the more fundamental techniques.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Guitar_Hero2334
how would you suggest that i play those same fretted notes on different strings, mr seagull?

Bar them and learn to live with the fact that they ring out.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Samothomas
Bar them and learn to live with the fact that they ring out.

Comprimising on mistakes will not help you learn.

As said before, you could roll the fretting finger so that it touches all 3 strings at one, but only has enough pressure to fret one at a time, keeping the other string muted.

You could also try using 3 different fingers, though it is a bit akward.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Guitar_Hero2334
how would you suggest that i play those same fretted notes on different strings, mr seagull?

No, you should just learn the rolling motion of your left hand fingers that the notes won't ring out. What seagull meant was that you shouldn't bother with real sweep picking, right hand motion and different arpeggios etc. So simply, you are learning a technique which is essential for playing guitar but will be very important when learning how to sweep in the future.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.