Page 1 of 2
Hey people

I'm in the market for a new amp, and am looking for some advice.

We're looking at the £200-£300 price range,
High Gain, something like a line 6 spider (but NOT a line 6 spider)
For home use and gigging
suitable for rock and metal, but with a decent clean channel for stuff like indie and blues
if possible, something with an effects loop in/out

fire away
Quote by Horlicks
VC30 won't do metal very well bear in mind, but it can when pushed hard.

what if i used a distortion, like a boss ml-2, or an ibanez smashbox?
Quote by UG Team
If you like Cannibal Corpse, Despised Icon and Morbid Angle as much as you like Six Feet Unde and Hatebreed, then you’ll totally be impressed by Carnifex.

"Morbid Angle", "Six Feet Unde"

DEMON OF THE FALL
Quote by darkstar53
what if i used a distortion, like a boss ml-2, or an ibanez smashbox?

I wouldn't run an ML-2 into a VC30, that's sacrilege. Never heard of the smashbox.
Honestly I would stay away from all distortion pedals.. At the point your thinking hey I want to purchase a new amp and you have a distortion pedal in your mind you just as soon get a line 6 spider... in my opinion...

Distortion pedals are good to mess around with from time to time if you looking to rip it up with some SS chainsaw appeal. But basing your tone around a pedal is never a good choice...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
VC30 won't do metal very well bear in mind, but it can when pushed hard.

hes right, you should get an epiphone valve junior

my VC15 does metal allright with a high output bridge HB, but the 15 has slightly more gain than the 30
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Honestly I would stay away from all distortion pedals.. At the point your thinking hey I want to purchase a new amp and you have a distortion pedal in your mind you just as soon get a line 6 spider... in my opinion...

Distortion pedals are good to mess around with from time to time if you looking to rip it up with some SS chainsaw appeal. But basing your tone around a pedal is never a good choice...

I wouldn't be basing my tone around the pedal, just using it to boost my od now and again... although i might just get something with a gritty clean channel and run a pedal through it...

any suggestions?

or maybe warnings?

Thanks,
Quote by UG Team
If you like Cannibal Corpse, Despised Icon and Morbid Angle as much as you like Six Feet Unde and Hatebreed, then you’ll totally be impressed by Carnifex.

DEMON OF THE FALL
I dont know how much peavey stuff is in the UK... but if you could find a used XXX combo that would work nice...

A VC30 with like an OCD...
is that an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or something to do with overdrive?

or both?
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
Fulltone Obsessive Complusive Drive. Overdrive pedal.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by darkstar53
Hey people

I'm in the market for a new amp, and am looking for some advice.

We're looking at the £200-£300 price range,
High Gain, something like a line 6 spider (but NOT a line 6 spider)
For home use and gigging
suitable for rock and metal, but with a decent clean channel for stuff like indie and blues
if possible, something with an effects loop in/out

fire away

I would look at a Line 6 Flextone III or II. Should be under your budget or around it.
Wow, that windsor deal looks mighty fine.
But it's a little out of reach in price terms right now...

Anyone else know of any head/cab deals at a reasonable price?

i'm slightly wary of the flextone because i don't want any effects or modelling, i've got pedals for that.

And, to be honest, the ocd doesn't sound like my 'thing'.

But the Peavey XXX 112? Sounds Brilliant. my only worry is the clean channel...

Opinions?
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
Last edited by darkstar53 at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho

You must be using crappy pedals. Using a Zvex box of rock or fulltone OCD as ones main source of grit does not sound bad at all.
My main worry there was that i want an amp that sounds lke itself, rather than one ofit's rivals.

still no opinions on the peavey XXX?
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
Quote by al112987
You must be using crappy pedals. Using a Zvex box of rock or fulltone OCD as ones main source of grit does not sound bad at all.

I've owned and demo'ed my fair share of pedals and have heard clips of alot more. Also own a boutique distortion pedal at the moment. And no matter how you look at it, its not tube saturation. And if i wanted something that didnt sound like a tube amp i would buy a SS amp which actually can sound decent if im using it as a main rig...

And why would you spend $500+ on two pedals that are trying to mimic a tube amp.... When you can buy a nice tube amp for the same cost if not cheaper. Good job making that decision ace...
Quote by darkstar53
I wouldn't be basing my tone around the pedal, just using it to boost my od now and again... although i might just get something with a gritty clean channel and run a pedal through it...

any suggestions?

or maybe warnings?

Thanks,

Sorry was talking to one of the other guys that stated get and amp and pedal combo..

Also see if you can get ahold of a Used Peavey Ultra, Triple X or JSX.. Should be perfect for your needs...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Sorry was talking to one of the other guys that stated get and amp and pedal combo..

Also see if you can get ahold of a Used Peavey Ultra, Triple X or JSX.. Should be perfect for your needs...

Yeah,i was looking at a few XXXs (triple exes?).
Would you recommend getting a used 112?

Thoughts?

EDIT: forget the higher in the range thing!
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
Last edited by darkstar53 at Aug 4, 2008,
Vox valvetronix AD50VT-XL
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Guys, are you seriously telling him to get a VC30+OD pedal for high-gain?
Quote by johlin
Guys, are you seriously telling him to get a VC30+OD pedal for high-gain?

What would you suggest?
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
The XXX is a great amp (come to think of it... WHY DIDNT I GET ONE!)
They have butloads of gain, but it's not like fizzy, its sort of bright and clear (IMHO thats better than 5150 style gain). The clean channel is immaculate and articulate. This is a damn good amp. you could also look around for the Ultra, which was the precursor to the XXX
^which model would you recommend?
Quote by UG Team

DEMON OF THE FALL
xxx is nice, just i doubt you'd get one under your budget. if you do, though, go for it (assuming you try it and like it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkstar53
What would you suggest?

I am not sure but I have had the VC30 and it won't do metal even with an OD. First of all, it's vintage voiced and I've also found that it doesn't take pedals too well.

It might work alright with a dedicated metal distortion but I'd suggest not trying to get metal with an OD.
Quote by johlin
I am not sure but I have had the VC30 and it won't do metal even with an OD. First of all, it's vintage voiced and I've also found that it doesn't take pedals too well.

It might work alright with a dedicated metal distortion but I'd suggest not trying to get metal with an OD.

I did with the VC15 - and that was just on the clean channel. The drive channel + OD has a LOT of gain - although it will need tweaking.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_6260_212.htm

Save up a bit more and get that.

The VC does the job great if your strictly about the low gain and cleans, granted I can push mine pretty hard, but I'd rather not. If your focusing mainly on gain itd prolly be better to get a high gain amp to begin with. I heard the bugera has very nice cleans anyway.
Page 1 of 2