I recently sanded the finish off my neck, not affecting the wood itself but it seems faster to me now. Thinking about it, i realized i might have ****ed it up; should the neck have a "sealer" or some sort of protective finish? Or is this ok, just be careful with it?

If there are any serious repercussions from, i really would like to know. Any side effects or comments are appreciated, thanks

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
I assume it will be fine if you oil it every now and again. Although not an expert, so not sure...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
just put a new finish on it if you are so concerned
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
i personally don't want to put a finish on it, i just want to know if it would be necessary, for some reason, to add one.

as for oil, what kind of product would i use and how to apply?

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Unfinished necks are notorious for warping. You might get away with it if you don't sweat too much, but honestly I'd just oil it with wipe on satin polyurethane, the Minwax stuff. I have a neck with that on it and it feels just as fast as it did with no finish IMO.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by chipmunksurfer
I recently sanded the finish off my neck, not affecting the wood itself but it seems faster to me now. Thinking about it, i realized i might have ****ed it up; should the neck have a "sealer" or some sort of protective finish? Or is this ok, just be careful with it?

If there are any serious repercussions from, i really would like to know. Any side effects or comments are appreciated, thanks

It's always best to be conservative about these things. If you've gone down to bare wood, I imagine that this will affect it at some future time.

To stay as close to Natural as possible, coat it with 100% Tung Oil (no additives or hardeners). My first Strat mod had a Maple/Maple neck. I sprayed Poly on the fretboard and wiped/brushed Tung Oil on the back. I re-coat every 6 months or so.

BTW, some people prefer Gunstock Oil but I haven't tried that.

^ +1

I have tung oil on my neck, it is amazing! I did either 3 or 4 coats, and proceeded to sand it with 600 grit. Smooth as a butter.

Apply it with a rag, old t-shirt, whatever fabric you have. Do it in a well ventilated area, as when applying any sort of chemical anything.

I have also heard good things about gun stock oil. But having no first hand experience I couldn't recommend it to you.

Also, to meaghan37, "I don't know" really isn't an appropriate response. While we all do encourage new members to be active, we also encourage them to be helpful in whatever way we can.

Thanks for posting a response, but if it isn't at all helpful don't post it. Thanks.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jul 28, 2008,