Hey all, I'm going off to University in a month and there's no way I'm not bringing along a guitar, I'm just wondering what to bring.

What I'd really like to do is take my Highway 1 Strat along with a small amp like a Blues Junior and a pedal. The problem is that I might need to play through headphones and I do not think the Junior has a Headphone Jack. Are there any more amps around this size and quality (all tube is preferred but not 100% necessary) that would be good.

I also wonder how likely gear worth as much as mine is to get stolen at a University residence.

If anyone with experience playing guitar while in University/College could comment on what they did, that would be great.

Also I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread (since it's not strictly gear related but still has a bit about gear).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
I wouldn't take a tube amp if you want to use headphones... ouch. Get a cheapo processor or something. That'd be plenty good enough for using headphones or running into pc speakers or whatever.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
i'm also moving to uni. in september, and to start off i'm just going to bring my acoustic, just while i first move in and get to know the loudness rules and such. i'd say the chances of your stuff getting stolen depends on where you're going, but always remember to lock your room.
edit: btw i noticed you're in ontario and the same age as me, where are you going?
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Well Im entering my thrid year at my current university, I have an apartment this year but in the past when I lived in the dorms I brought my guitar and my quarter stack. Depends on the room though. My school had beds in the doubles that you could take the thing that holds the mattress and raise or lower it in the frame so I raised the bed as high as possible and put my gear underneath.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
Quote by Dimebag06Darrel
I wouldn't take a tube amp if you want to use headphones... ouch. Get a cheapo processor or something. That'd be plenty good enough for using headphones or running into pc speakers or whatever.

I wouldn't always be using the headphones, just whenever I needed to be quiet (Late night shredding :P )

Quote by cheeseman3001

i'm also moving to uni. in september, and to start off i'm just going to bring my acoustic, just while i first move in and get to know the loudness rules and such. i'd say the chances of your stuff getting stolen depends on where you're going, but always remember to lock your room.

I kind of want to bring an Acoustic, the problem is the only Steel String in the house is my dad's (even though it's in my sig.) and I don't really play my classical that much. I like playing acoustic, but I like playing electric a lot more....so I'm not really sure what to do...I might have to compromise in the end. I think one of the rules at the University I'm going to (McMaster in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) is that the door must be looked whenever you leave the room which sounds good but I'm still not 100% sure.

Thanks for the quick replies.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
y dont u just play the strat without an amp?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Well, you've almost got the same guitar that I took, my Ibanez, so I'd take that since it can be played as an acoustic too, which is what I did in my first year. Take whichever amp you want and buy a Line6 Pocket Pod (they're really cheap) for when you need to play through headphones.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
You can play reasonably loud in halls, as long as it's not after half ten or thereabouts.

Your stuff will be OK, but get it insured anway.
Quote by Vampire 255
y dont u just play the strat without an amp?

I've thought about that and I'll probably wind up doing that the first week while I figure out how much room I have for an amp. But I hope to do some jamming in Uni so an amp would be nice.

Quote by Tombe
Well, you've almost got the same guitar that I took, my Ibanez, so I'd take that since it can be played as an acoustic too, which is what I did in my first year. Take whichever amp you want and buy a Line6 Pocket Pod (they're really cheap) for when you need to play through headphones.

That's actually a really good idea lol...why didn't I think of that. I do like my Strat quite a bit more than the Ibanez, but I still really like the Ibanez, so I'll have to think about that one, Thanks. I've also considered getting a Pod of some sort as well.

Quote by BrianApocalypse

You can play reasonably loud in halls, as long as it's not after half ten or thereabouts.

Your stuff will be OK, but get it insured anway.

Good idea.

Quote by guitarnoobie
Blasphemy!

LOL...so true
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Last edited by RhoadsLivesOn at Jul 27, 2008,
I've got some experience with playing in dorms, I'm goni' into my 3rd year. Acoustics you shouldn't have a problem, but a 15w tube amp in a dorm could be very bad (well in terms of loudness) I'd go with the pod and headphones.

and in terms of safety, I never had any problems with anything getting stolen, just keep your door locked and you'll be fine.
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
I spent $50 on a acoustic and its been doing me great (if it can survive through the next 3 years without being destroyed i'm going to cherish the thing for life)

I bought up my electric (Squier) a couple of times too, my 30watt SS amp is way too much. Though my room really is too small for the amp :S

mostly people have acoustics to what i've seen
theres another guy somewhere with the 10watt Ibanez amp and the Ibanez starter guitar thing, even thats loud
edit: and a guy with the smallest line6 spider....that can actually stay pretty quiet but it sounds like crap, and I've met some other guitarists with processors and stuff hooked up to headphones/their stereo system/etc...

if you've got anything really loud....just do it in the daytime....like 11am to 9pm nobody gives a crap if you're too loud
Last edited by seljer at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by cheeseman3001
edit: btw i noticed you're in ontario and the same age as me, where are you going?

+1 for going to Guelph

And I had a few friends who played their electric in res. Everyone was pretty chill about it as long as you don't have your amp cranked late at night. It also is a huge girl magnet
I also wonder how likely gear worth as much as mine is to get stolen at a University residence.

all uni halls have contents insurance, so if it is stolen will be replaced
Quote by imthehitcher
all uni halls have contents insurance, so if it is stolen will be replaced

Thats not true. My buddy had his laptop stolen and they didn't replace it.

As long as you lock you door though its fine. And even lock it while you are sleeping because I know people who fell asleep with their door open and then someone came in and took some of their stuff while they slept...
I think I will be taking my MG50 (dont laugh, it does the job, allbeit quite basic) and either 1 or 2 electrics.... and my electric mandolin too!
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am 99% sure that I'm going to but some cheap (ish) accoustic to take to Uni. I'm still not sure about electrics though.

Has anyone had experience with taking an electric to University/College? How nice was your electric and did you have to take any precautions to keep it safe?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior