All right, so the Pit really is the worst place to ask about what your future lies ahead of you, but...

I'm still deciding on what to follow in the future. How many of you have a career and can offer helpful advice? Thanks much.

And please, only serious comments (yeah, right..).

Edit: I led a very careless year last year, due to various drama and lack of trying in school, and I know music as a career is like cutting your hand off and such, so..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Last edited by md41 at Jul 27, 2008,
become an engineer. good paying, moderately fun, not incredibly stressful, and their really is a huge demand for them.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Really.. now knowing that there are a lot of UGers here that are around the age, what do THEY do for a profession, anyone?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by wshnationals
become an engineer. good paying, moderately fun, not incredibly stressful, and their really is a huge demand for them.

I'm considering between Marine Biology or something in that field or Forensic Science.
what are you good at? pick something you really like, and are really talented at and then pursue that. or go be a doctor then play in a band on the weekend. there's a band like that not too far from where i live.
Quote by ortrigger
what are you good at? pick something you really like, and are really talented at and then pursue that. or go be a doctor then play in a band on the weekend. there's a band like that not too far from where i live.

I was actually thinking about having a career but on the side, playing guitar at a coffee house. Tips, etc.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
If you're still at school, talk to your careers teacher or your form tutor or whatever. What subjects do you like? Don't just pick ones you're good at. Before starting A-Levels I wanted to be an architect, but when I started Physics, I hated it and now I want to be an Accountant.
Real men don't need sigs.
TS, do something you enjoy.

Or, do something you hate that makes you lots of money. Like a lawyer.
I think I want to do something music related if possible..

A guitar teacher would be nice, or a composition lecturer if I ever made it that far.
Quote by wshnationals

There's a lot of math involved in engineering, especially in Civil Engineering, my uncle just graduated a few years ago and he says that its pretty hard...but he enjoys it, I'm not good with math so I decided to stay away from that path.
Quote by dgervin839
If you're still at school, talk to your careers teacher or your form tutor or whatever. What subjects do you like? Don't just pick ones you're good at. Before starting A-Levels I wanted to be an architect, but when I started Physics, I hated it and now I want to be an Accountant.

I ws thinking of this as well. Career teachers can help to a degree..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by haz_uk
you don't need physics to be an architect, i qualify next year and i haven't studied it since gcse level.

Yes but I was hopeless at Art, and I didn't do Technology. Anyway I'd rather be an Accountant now anyway.
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by wshnationals

Engineering is alot of math, it can be very stressful depending on the situation as anything that goes wrong is your fault because someone that took business or some other form of managament did not understand you and decides to do what they want instead of what you told them to do. Once they make this mistake you then have to find a way to fix it. It can be a very stressful job, but you'll make good money. Theres very little change for engineers to become millionares because of the nature of the field, but they will make good money for the rest of their lives. Just be prepared to work much more and much harder than all the people around you who will suddenly make tons of money when you do something good.
I've been really thinking about photography though. I'm taking a class next year to get started up on it. Dunno about the pay though.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Eric 666
There's a lot of math involved in engineering, especially in Civil Engineering, my uncle just graduated a few years ago and he says that its pretty hard...but he enjoys it, I'm not good with math so I decided to stay away from that path.

eh, most of it makes sense and is put to good use

my math prof frequently resorts to "and you don't have to know this proof...the math majors already did it and we're just going to learn how to use it"
Quote by md41
I was actually thinking about having a career but on the side, playing guitar at a coffee house. Tips, etc.

thats what they do. the band is made up of doctors and physical therapists and they play gigs and stuff on weekends.
Computers...anything in computers...thats where everything is going, you'll always have a job...
My signature has doubled...
I have already decided that I will do whatever it takes to become a professional musician. I don't care about money, all I need is music and my honey.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by John Spartan
Computers...anything in computers...thats where everything is going, you'll always have a job...

its all being outsourced to india
I'm leaning towards some kind of church musician or a Police officer - aiming for the special force.