it sounds like crap, it gets in the way of my picking, and it looks like crap.

all in all i never EVER use my single coil, im always on the bridge humbucker and I do like to play metal, therefore i wouldnt even think of using a single.

it's ALWAYS in the way when i pick, the magnets stick out from the damn thing and damn near touch the strings, can I just unscrew it and yank it out or do I have to actually know what Im doing here?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
i would also look like **** if you would just take it out of its hole...

you could try to tighten the two screws and lower it towards the body
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
The whole thing needs to be re-finished anyway thanks to my ex. I'll slap some tape over it and call it good, right now I just want to be able to play it comfortably. It's the only guitar I have with a tremolo and that single coil is seriously pissing me off.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
If you're unsure, take it to a professional. You'd have to do more than unscrew it. What would you do with the wires? You'd need to cut them off, and it'd be best to remove the excess wires from your guitar altogether.

You could, however, change the pickup to a better one, and although I disagree and think that single coils can be used in any style so long as the tone suits the music, you could always get a stacked humbucker.

Anyway, I advise that you take it to a local guitar shop.

Edit: Also, as stated above, you could lower the pickup. But how is it getting in your way when picking? Where are you holding your pick and why is it going so far past the string?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I was hoping I could just get in there with some clippers and clip the wires down and take em out, I don't mind having a dead spot on my 5-way selector, but if I'm gonna end up screwing it up I'll leave it in. I only need the bridge humbucker, the neck is rarely used.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
If you are careful about it, then yes you can just clip out the correct wires.

Although, putting in a more metal pickup or just lowering it are far better options.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I know they are far better options, but I like the sound of just the humbucker on this one. I have 3 other electrics, all of which are suited to their own types of music. The only thing I like about this one above the others is the whammy bar, I only use this guitar to play around with the whammy. The single coil gets way too much bass for me, harmonics sound terrible through it. new pickup? i'd sooner replace the humbucker than the single, even if I had the money.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
or file down the pole peices
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
The pole pieces are a big problem but with me, when I get set on something I get dead set on it. I want this thing out and gone. Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it.

Oh and one more question. Is there any way I could have it wired so that instead of using single split coils on both of my hums, it would be set to use both as full hums?
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Yup. I dont know how, but you can do it I'm sure.

K just so you know. it will look bad with a big hole in the pick guard. Consider buying a new one for about $15 or something.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Doesn't have a pick guard. It's a cheap one. And personally I'd rather just get a cover for it.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
thanks for the help guys, pickup is sitting on my bed, wires are clipped, if I want single coil sound I can just use the 2nd or 4th position, and no more pickup in the way. thanks!
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
hey, if you ever decide to fill the hole with wood and then paint it, post pics up here.

Oh I just realized how weird that sounds....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
lmao nice.

&& yeah but first I'll have to get it routed for a REAL tremolo system, replace the tuners and slap a string lock in here. till then it's still just a gio series.

EDIT:: I went ahead and screwed the pickup cover back in so now it looks like a normal HSH from a distance, other than the fact that the polepieces are missing. looks pretty cool actually.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Jul 27, 2008,
Sick... but an idea: If you route the single coil hole to a humbucker, you'll have an HHH RG!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Problem is the single coil was physically in the way of my picking, so I just clipped it out and drilled the cover back into the hole, looks like it did before but the cover is physically inside the slot and the polepieces are deadddd.

but yeah. for now I just wanna get some string locks, better tuners, some covered hums, and a better tremolo. i want a zr but i cant afford that xD ill just go lo-pro and have it routed.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.