I'm thinking of going upgrading my mixer (Alesis Multimix USB) for a Digi 002 or 003 Rack but I'm not sure if its the best thing to get. So the questions I'm going to ask are:

1./ Does all USB Interfaces record to only a separate audio track? or does the higher end USB interfaces even let assign inputs to different audio tracks? Cause if they don't i cant see what the point in USB interfaces even is at all

2./ The Digi 002-3 is Firewire based so i assume most or all firewire interfaces let you assign each mic preamp and input to a separate audio track?

3./ How would the latency of a Digi 002-3 compare to that of say an M-audio Firewire 410 which is also a Firewire based interface but has a ASIO driver?

4/. Even if the M-aduio firewire has lower latency than a Digi 002-3. The mic preamps in the Digi 002-3 would still be better than that of the M- Aduio Firewire?

Cheers

Last edited by Axe Samurai at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by Axe Samurai
I'm thinking of going upgrading my mixer (Alesis Multimix USB) for a Digi 002 or 003 Rack but I'm not sure if its the best thing to get. So the questions I'm going to ask are:

1./ Does all USB Interfaces record to only a separate audio track? or does the higher end USB interfaces even let assign inputs to different audio tracks? Cause if they don't i cant see what the point in USB interfaces even is at all

Any USB interface will start mixing down after you go past 2 inputs at one time. Firewire can hold more data at the same time period which is why its more popular.

2./ The Digi 002-3 is Firewire based so i assume most or all firewire interfaces let you assign each mic preamp and input to a separate audio track?

Yep with firewire you can record a lot more tracks at one time keeping them separated and unmixed.

3./ How would the latency of a Digi 002-3 compare to that of say an M-audio Firewire 410 which is also a Firewire based interface but has a ASIO driver?

I'm not sure on that one, I've not used these products personally.

4. Even if the M-aduio firewire has lower latency than a Digi 002-3. The mic preamps in the Digi 002-3 would still be better than that of the M- Aduio Firewire?

I do know the Preamps are better on the Digi units as are the ADA converters. These will also work with Protools.

Pick an interface by the amount of inputs you need, not by the latency or drivers...that's something that should be considered but the most important thing is having enough inputs.

Also consider the PreSonus units such as the FP10. They have good drivers and hardware. I know of many studios who use these units.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 2, 2008,