Randomly came up with a little passage today that I quite liked...

-------------5-----------------|-----------|-------------7-----------------|
-------6--5-----6--5-----------|-----------|-------8--7-----8--7-----------|
--7-------------------7~-------|-----------|--9-------------------9~-------|
-------------------------------|-----------|-------------------------------|

-----------|-------------3-----------------|-----------|
-----------|-------4--3-----4--3-----------|-----------|
-----------|--5-------------------5~-------|-----------|
-----------|-------------------------------|-----------|

But, I've never actually written anything before and have only just started reading on theory. How can I make this musically 'good'? Is it actually all in one key, if not, how can I make it so? And what would be some good chords to play underneath?

I could start with just the first bar, work out what key it's in, and then repeat it once a few steps higher, but in the right key, and then again but a few steps lower. I'd prefer doing this, because it's less restrictive than trying to build around those 3 bars (well, 6)

Basically, I have no idea what key it's in. How do i work it out, and what're good chords to play beneath it?
Hey!

I came up with something quite similar when I was messing around the Harmonic Minor yesterday, I just kept it clean and let it ring.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

looks like its in Dm, that'd be the chord for the first bar anyway. the Em...the Cm...which is out of key..
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

D minor is really the saddest of all keys...
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by GimmeFuel
just simple lines inter-twining

It's a Spinal Tap reference
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
it kinda reminds me of a papparoach song , i dont like pr, ha i mean its cool, but i just dont like PR thought id throw it out there
Quote by rustymoore91
looks like its in Dm, that'd be the chord for the first bar anyway. the Em...the Cm...which is out of key..

What key could it be in? If I went Dm to Em, where could I go after that and still keep the melody?

I can assure you it's not Papa Roach inspired
Quote by StiltonCheese
What key could it be in? If I went Dm to Em, where could I go after that and still keep the melody?

I can assure you it's not Papa Roach inspired

Yeah, it's a simple 3 string arpeggio change with Dm, Em, and Cm. If it sounds good, keep it.

You COULD say that this is in C major. Dm and Em are in C major. The C minor arpeggiation could be said to be modal interchange from the parallel key of C minor.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥