Page 1 of 2
So i decided to not buy VOX AD30VT-XL, when I heard Epiphone Valve Standard, I thought 'I want this baby', it was boosted with OD pedal but I don't remember which So I want to buy 5W version for home practice, but I'm confused which one

-Epiphone Valve Special Combo

or

-Epiphone Valve Junior Head + Epiphone 1X12 cab

Combo has switch for 3W and more tubes (I know, quality not quantity) but then half stack version provides 12'' speaker = I was thinking about Bleackhearts but for the difference I can buy OD pedal

Now about OD pedal, I would liike to use it with this Epiphone Valve, I play heavy metal mainly, sometimes some thrash, so some classic heavy sounds from 80s and 90s Which one you reccomend, I would like to spend about 120 $ on this pedal, I was thinking only about EH Metal Muff so far, but feel free to suggest

Now about multiu FX pedal... I would like to use it for home recording and to play guitar with it on computer and also sometimes to plug together with this Epiphone
I'm not much into this kind of equipment but I have some propositions, I would like to spend on it up to 300 $ Which one to choose or which one you reccomend ?

- Korg AX-3000G

- Digitech GNX-3000

- Boss ME-500

- Zoom G7.1ut
IMO you shouldn't go for the Epi because it's not voiced towards metal. For the MFX, I'd pick the Zoom but the Digitech is pretty good too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hmm... what else then ? Blackheart ? I suppose Peavey JSX would do the job but it's 15W and it's expensive, same as Tiny Terror.
I have this same problem, low cost tube rock/metal. I might get a Valve Jr. and mod it, but if anybody has another opinion (that won't require me to spend $500) please share. Maybe the blackheart would be better, but I can't say.

As for the pedal, those Muffs have some ridiculous distortion right?
Don't you just need the overdrive though, to get the tubes to overdrive nicely?
Or maybe you could use the OD (turning the volume all the way up) and then if that's not enough, put some gain on there. Might not be a bad idea.
blackheart is the 5w amp to get man

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The blackheart is only a little darker then the valve junior. what type of metal are you talking about? I've got a POD XTL hooked up to my Vj and can get some pretty good 80's hair metal and hard rock, but death metal is about out of it's reach (at least with the 12" cab i have). Don't have much experience with any other pedal other then the TS 808 and mxr 108. The vj will do alot but it has it's limits just like anything else.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i have a modded vj played thru a 1x12 cab with a celestion g12k and i use a ge-7 eq and tubescreamer for classic rock and a metal muff for heavier stuff when have to play at lower volumes. the tubescreamer and the eq only at higher volumes.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
A normal production 5 watter (no matter what kind) will NOT get metal tones.

thats what pedals are for. i've not heard many of lower priced tube amp's of any kind that will do metal without the help of atleast a tubescreamer.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by mmjohn
thats what pedals are for. i've not heard may of lower priced tube amp's of any kind that will do metal without the help of atleast a tubescreamer.

+1 since i plugged the POD into a VJ all my SS amps have gone into retirement.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
I really believe that even with a boost and EQ, those little amps can't get a good metal tone. I would rather have a Line 6 Flextone used for all of the money he is putting into the amp, pedal, and multi-effects.

Not me. I needed a low volume solution and this is perfect for me. AC/DC, Scorpians, led Zepplin, Queen, it's all there. Still working on Gilmore (but who isn't). The Vj sounds good with just the effect or the amp models. If i'd have gotten this first it would have saved me almost a grand in SS amps.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I really believe that even with a boost and EQ, those little amps can't get a good metal tone. I would rather have a Line 6 Flextone used for all of the money he is putting into the amp, pedal, and multi-effects.

can i get some of what your smokin.................just go on youtube man. 5 tube watts thru a 12in speaker is alot of sound. lol
i can get a good metal tone on my daughters vox da-5..............you must be doing something wrong
Quote by mmjohn
i can get a good metal tone on my daughters vox da-5..............you must be doing something wrong

The DA isn't tube...

can i get some of what your smokin.................just go on youtube man. 5 tube watts thru a 12in speaker is alot of sound. lol

You have to actually crank the amp to get saturation out of the 5 watters, and by then, it'll be too loud for practice and not good enough for metal (assuming it's Metallica and 80's thrash).
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Ghold125

Hey thanks! Some good pedals do wonders... and a bit more. This is what I did, I swapped both tubes for TAD´s (el84 and 12AT7), also swapped the output transformer with a Hamond ESE125 together with some resistors values to even the voltage of the OT. Then I run TC Electronic Tube Primer and TC´s Distortion + Booster pedals. I also run TC´s XII Phaser pedal. Thats about it. Stop by the Epiphone Forum for more detailed EVJ modding... Have fun!

Sure the VJ may be a modder's amp, but I don't think many people would go as far as replacing transformers and what not. Plus, he could have used the distortion on the TC pedal and chances are the guy on the video cranked his amp (5w is 1/2 the loudness of 50w).
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
My Vj is a bone stock V3. Still has the tubes it came new with. You don't have to mod, you just have to add pedals. Even the combo (which i also have) is pretty decent for $150. Add $150 worth of pedals and it will run with any $300 SS amp you want to put against it except for volume.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by acdcrocks0323

But Flextone is 75W amp And have it any kind of power reduction ? What about simulations ? I heard they are way more better than Spider ones, Vetta more likely (I know, 'like' ) Well I have Spider and it is ****...
Quote by aznrockerdude
The DA isn't tube...

You have to actually crank the amp to get saturation out of the 5 watters, and by then, it'll be too loud for practice and not good enough for metal (assuming it's Metallica and 80's thrash).

But that's why you get pedal, Of course Epiphone Valve can't get this heavier sound without it, without pedal it can get around nice rock and bluesy stuff
Quote by AdamDK
Who says the Valve Jr can't do metal?

Grab an EQ and good overdrive pedal, and you're set.

Granted, that tone did sound pretty good. But I don't think an EQ and a good OD will get you there - you'll need a distortion pedal.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
That's what I wanted to do, boost it with Distortion Pedal, however... I'm confused which one, up to 120 $ (about 60 GBP)
Quote by aznrockerdude
The DA isn't tube...

i know it's not a tube..............thats the point. 5 watts is is enuff with a effects pedal to get a metal tone even a 5 watt ss. my vj is modded. the bitmo spanky mod an upgraded heyboar tranformer from allen amplication and jj tubes all the mods took a little over a hour to do. and i play thru a 12in celestion g12k which adds a big fat bottom end. the mods i've done greatly increase the clean headroom of the vj head. and i did alot of research before buying a speaker for my setup. g12k was the choice it's got a sweet clean tone and big fat bottom end. and like i said earlier. when i play a lower volumes to get a metal tone i use a metal muff and a ge-7 and classic rock tones with a tube screamer and eq. but when i crank it up i can get a great metal tone with a tubescreamer and eq.
i do not have any idea on how the stock speaker sounds i did not purchase one. i did the research to find what i wanted for my sound.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?id=32
Yeah well, it's modded amp then... but I'm not going to modify my amp at the moment (funds) At least pedal will provid metal sound
Quote by MrMateuszW
But Flextone is 75W amp And have it any kind of power reduction ? What about simulations ? I heard they are way more better than Spider ones, Vetta more likely (I know, 'like' ) Well I have Spider and it is ****...

*facepalm*
It's an SS amp, you don't need to crank it to sound good, it just has plenty of headroom. I think it sounds pretty good for metal a former guitarist in my band used one and it had a much better metal tone and lead tone than those little 5 watters with a distortion pedal and an EQ.

You can't just put a distortion pedal on an amp and have an instant metal tone. If that were the truth, death metal bands would just use Fender amps and put a distortion pedal in the chain. Sure, the gain is there, but it sounds kind of shrill and theres not as much low end as there is on an amp thats meant for metal.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
5w amp and metal?

jog on

tiny terror is prolly youre best bet for metul in a small amp.

depending on budget SS might be the way to go

oh, if youre US, im gonna shamelessly reccomend the palomino V18 + OD
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Horlicks
I just posted that video...

Sorry lol, I just skimmed through the first page.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
5w amp and metal?

jog on

tiny terror is prolly youre best bet for metul in a small amp.

depending on budget SS might be the way to go

oh, if youre US, im gonna shamelessly reccomend the palomino V18 + OD

Apparently you haven't watched the video posted further up.
Quote by Horlicks
Apparently you haven't watched the video posted further up.

thats fizzier than an MG and has like £200 worth of pedals in front of it

turd polishing on an ergonomic scale
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
thats fizzier than an MG and has like £200 worth of pedals in front of it

turd polishing on an ergonomic scale

Keeley MT-2 with Twilight mod- $150
Epiphone Valve Junior stack- $250
MXR 6 band EQ- $80
Total- $480

Tiny Terror head (No cab)- $550

IMO it doesn't even sound fizzy, you're just parroting what MrCarrot said about 5 watt amps.

tone is subjective

that setup will only work at quiet volumes. when you turn it up, you no longer have a nice plain sound to add dirt over, dirty tube amp with a distortion pedal...lovely
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

tone is subjective

that setup will only work at quiet volumes. when you turn it up, you no longer have a nice plain sound to add dirt over, dirty tube amp with a distortion pedal...lovely

Considering he's buying a 5 watt tube amp for recording, that should work well for him.
Got my POD new from GC for $350 (they like me there) so i've got $600 in this, but i have more versatility then i could have ever imagined. The Vj actually gives up a great plexi tone. I use amp models more often times then not soldano, mesa dual rec, hi-watt are some of my favorites and for some bluesy stuff the AC 30 model is pretty good. The tubes just add that extra dimension to the sound an SS doesn't have.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
If I would have money I would go for Tiny Terror or small custom amp but I don't have it...

Yeah, home recording too but not necesarilly, I know I will not get a decent metal sound from it but it will be better than farting and brooming and what so ever Spider 15W
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
*facepalm*
It's an SS amp, you don't need to crank it to sound good, it just has plenty of headroom. I think it sounds pretty good for metal a former guitarist in my band used one and it had a much better metal tone and lead tone than those little 5 watters with a distortion pedal and an EQ.

You can't just put a distortion pedal on an amp and have an instant metal tone. If that were the truth, death metal bands would just use Fender amps and put a distortion pedal in the chain. Sure, the gain is there, but it sounds kind of shrill and theres not as much low end as there is on an amp thats meant for metal.

I know I can't expect a great metal sound from it, but still it will be better than this ****ty Spider 15W...
Quote by Horlicks
Keeley MT-2 with Twilight mod- $150
Epiphone Valve Junior stack- $250
MXR 6 band EQ- $80
Total- $480

You didn't calculate in the cab, which I'm guessing is more expensive than the stock VJ cab?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Horlicks
Considering he's buying a 5 watt tube amp for recording, that should work well for him.

and itll still be vintage voiced
Quote by Fama
You didn't calculate in the cab, which I'm guessing is more expensive than the stock VJ cab?

The rocktron cab is $100 which is only a little more than the VJ cab.

^Again refer to the video. Tiny Terror is vintage voiced too.
Page 1 of 2