sorry if this is in the wrong place but i have a question on sweep picking.

how long did it take any of you to learn and should i even bother learning it
learn it its in invaluable tool in your repetoire and i really still don't have it perfected but i can play most of the patterns cleanly and its been 6 months now so i'd say its worth it
It took me about 7,8 months to get relatively DECENT at it, it's quite hard.

It's a useful little trick, it's not mandatory, but it's fun when you actually have it down. If you have any questions, I know a guy on here by the name of TheShred201 I believe it is....look him up if you have questions.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Hey bud, theres a good site for strict guitar questions that mgiht help you too.. http://www.shredguitars.com/

But on a personal note it took me maybe about 3 to 4 weeks to get the arpeggio sweeps down good enough where they wouldnt souund like a fart in a tin can.

The best way to get them down is to do them backwards and fowards SLOWLY so if u have a girlfriend [or boyfriend haha] theyll hate you for it. and utilize all your fingers, dont be afraid to palm mute.

I have a few arpeggio lessons left over from ym guitar techer if your interested!

-Sonny
Quote by CptnSpeed
Hey bud, theres a good site for strict guitar questions that mgiht help you too.. http://www.shredguitars.com/

But on a personal note it took me maybe about 3 to 4 weeks to get the arpeggio sweeps down good enough where they wouldnt souund like a fart in a tin can.

The best way to get them down is to do them backwards and fowards SLOWLY so if u have a girlfriend [or boyfriend haha] theyll hate you for it. and utilize all your fingers, dont be afraid to palm mute.

I have a few arpeggio lessons left over from ym guitar techer if your interested!

-Sonny

I'm going to go ahead and assume you weren't starting from nothing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I can't sweep. I don't try to learn. It's too hard. End of. When I'm playing I like to throw in some easy three string (G-e) arpeggios that are sweeped but that's it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I started sweeping a year and a half ago but was pretty lazy with practising because of homework. I can now play the solo to Detonation by Trivium (the sweeping one) and several other sweep-oriented solos.

Just take your time, it sucks learning it but once you have it nailed it aint hard
Quote by CptnSpeed

-Sonny

I wouldn't mind them
I only started learning to learn sweep today, so what I'm going to say isn't advice on how to sweep, just more something I thought you might found useful.

When I started learning how to sweep today I thought '****, this is hard. I won't be able to do this', that was when I was only playing this:

e 12 12
B 13 13
G 14 14
D
A
E

(edit) Wait, that didn't show up properly once I posted it. It's just 14,13,12 descending then 12,13,14 ascending.

But after a while my coordination got better, and I can now sweep that with ease.

What I'm trying to say is, things may seem difficult at first, but practice them and they become a lot easier.
Quote by Calabur
I only started learning to learn sweep today, so what I'm going to say isn't advice on how to sweep, just more something I thought you might found useful.

When I started learning how to sweep today I thought '****, this is hard. I won't be able to do this', that was when I was only playing this:

e 12 12
B 13 13
G 14 14
D
A
E

(edit) Wait, that didn't show up properly once I posted it. It's just 14,13,12 descending then 12,13,14 ascending.

But after a while my coordination got better, and I can now sweep that with ease.

What I'm trying to say is, things may seem difficult at first, but practice them and they become a lot easier.

Fixed
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Fixed

How did you do that?

I tried clicking quote hoping it would quote your fix, but no such look.
Quote by Calabur
How did you do that?

I tried clicking quote hoping it would quote your fix, but no such look.

The magical "code" tags my friend.

(just get rid of the spaces)

Use them whenever you need to show spaces or when you tab something.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Calabur

e 12 12
B 13 13
G 14 14
D
A
E

im pretty much at the same point you are

and can anyone give me an arpeggio to practice thats relativily easy
Go to the link Metal4all just posted...

Thanks alot M4A, thats the most helpful sweep tutorial I've seen yet. It actually goes step by step instead of "Here's what a sweep is, here's me doing a 6 string sweep at 120 bpm" ie Marty Friedmans Youtube video... Can't wait to sit down and work my way through this.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Go to the link Metal4all just posted...

Thanks alot M4A, thats the most helpful sweep tutorial I've seen yet. It actually goes step by step instead of "Here's what a sweep is, here's me doing a 6 string sweep at 120 bpm" ie Marty Friedmans Youtube video... Can't wait to sit down and work my way through this.

m4a is a file type

haha, no problem man. I like that link too. When I first started with sweep picking, I printed out the 3n-p-s sweeps and practiced them nice n slow with my metronome.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I dont, and I'm VERY sure that would lead to the notes ringing out, which you dont want when sweeping.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

so what how would you handle something like 3 notes in a row on the same fret like 12-12-12 ?
roll your finger, check that link Metal4All put on there he talks about it. you kind of do bar, but you jsut dampen the strings your not playing. The idea of sweeping is you hit one note at a time, if you play more your not sweeping your playing chords
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
its called the rolling barre technique, im a noob sweeper at best but the trick is to just apply enough pressure on the tsring that u want to hear and roll the pressure or up whether you are ascending or descending, some patterns will make u use your ring inger for it

e|                      12 17 12
B|                   13             13
G|               14                    14
D|           14                           14
A|  12 15                                   15 12
E|

i hope that code worked (Aminor arpegiio 2 8ve's)
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Last edited by Caramello Ruell at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by valennic
I'm going to go ahead and assume you weren't starting from nothing.

I'll back him up on that 3 to 4 weeks. If you're really diligent, I got the technique down in 2 weeks at 2 hours a day, and almost perfected a month or so later.

It all depends how hard you work at it.
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
I would say nobody can give you that advice without knowing your skill level. Me personally i do a few 3 or 4 string sweeps here or there but i dont sit there practicing this technique yet. I think its more productive for me to work on things like Alt picking and learning more chords and things like that. Once im totally sick at alt picking and other more essential skills and have also learned more theory knowlage that I know im lacking then i might concern myself with sweeping. Thats just me though we all have different styles and goals.

Asking other people how long it takes isnt a good idea. You shouldnt care for one and for another that type of attitude can cause bad practice habbits like speeding up when your not ready yet due to a feeling that you should be better by now. The amount of days passed since someone "started sweeping" doesnt give you any idea how well or how long (hours not days passed) they practiced.