Currently I have a Boss DS-1 but I'd like to go more metal, so my birthday is comming up, I'm not sure if I should get the Metal Zone or MetalCore. I will be playing Metallica, Bodom, In flames, All that remains, some slayer, some pantera, lamb of god, Trivium, thats all I can think of off the top of my mind.

But i have heard the metal core doesnt have good lead sound, although I'm not really sure what that means lol.

I have Peavey Blazer 158 amp. It's just a basic clean amp, no distortion. I cant find it anywhere online, it's discontinued i believe, and I also believe it's not one of the best amps lol.

I will be getting the ESP MH-50 for my birthday.

Basically I'm just asking, what amp and distortion pedal can you suggest?

edit: forgot to mention, I'd like everything suggested at a reasonable price range lol. It will be a birthday present after all, I cant ask for anything TOO expensive.

another edit: It doesnt need to be a boss pedal either, if there is something better than the metal zone or metal core for about the same price. I really dont know what is out there. I've heard good things about the metal muff.
Last edited by mikeeey at Jul 27, 2008,
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, but I suggest you start saving for a high-gain tube amp like a Randall RG50TC
ohai little sig.
lucky you sweet guitar. you dont want the ds-1, its not enough gain for your music. the metal zone is the best thing you mentioned, although there are better pedals. look into tube distortion pedals like damage control solid metal or rocktron silver dragon. good luck
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Quote by Demonikk
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, but I suggest you start saving for a high-gain tube amp like a Randall RG50TC

awesome! great price too! I think I will get it.

haha i dont need anything as powerful as the Randall RG50TC. I just need something decent, small, an sounds good with the metal muff.

Quote by brush200400
lucky you sweet guitar. you dont want the ds-1, its not enough gain for your music. the metal zone is the best thing you mentioned, although there are better pedals. look into tube distortion pedals like damage control solid metal or rocktron silver dragon. good luck

problem is, I already own the DS-1, but it's better than nothing. I'll look into those pedals as well, but I think the metal muff is what I'm getting.
Last edited by mikeeey at Jul 27, 2008,
doing some more research I've heard that the Metal Muff isnt good for lead, more for rhythm. So will this pedal be good for playing Children of Bodom? playing solos? or is this meant for rhythm?
Quote by mikeeey
doing some more research I've heard that the Metal Muff isnt good for lead, more for rhythm. So will this pedal be good for playing Children of Bodom? playing solos? or is this meant for rhythm?

Now probably everyone here will tell you to buy the metal muff which is both great for lead and rhythm for most ug listeners. But i'm telling you to buy the metal zone for the bands and style you play. This is just my suggestion. I can tell you won't regret it but as soon as i post this about a thousand angry ugers will tell that it sucks. The decision is yours. If you want to go with the majority buy the metal muff. I personally find mt-2 sound more aggressive and tweakable.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
A Roland Cube 30X, or even a Micro Cube would be a good place to start ampwise. Very good for playing metal, and your DS-1 will serve as a good booster pedal for solos. The amps are around £150 iirc.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by SweetsForLife
A Roland Cube 30X, or even a Micro Cube would be a good place to start ampwise. Very good for playing metal, and your DS-1 will serve as a good booster pedal for solos. The amps are around £150 iirc.

+a hefty ol' 1

Roland Cube is definitely where you should start your tone hunt Start at the cube 30 though (or the microcube), and miss out the ones below 30 watts, except the microcube
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Attack
Now probably everyone here will tell you to buy the metal muff which is both great for lead and rhythm for most ug listeners. But i'm telling you to buy the metal zone for the bands and style you play. This is just my suggestion. I can tell you won't regret it but as soon as i post this about a thousand angry ugers will tell that it sucks. The decision is yours. If you want to go with the majority buy the metal muff. I personally find mt-2 sound more aggressive and tweakable.

I think it's more down to prefernce.

I (along with many a people) prefer the Metal Muff to the MT2.

You should try them out, to see what it's like. You should try out most equiptment before you buy it of you can.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Attack

lol well now I'm back to square 1, not sure what to get once again, cuz I have heard good things about the metal zone, but I've heard that the Metal core is the Metal Zone's Successor.
Yes i will defiantly save up for the Roland Cube 30X! it's just what i need!
as far as a pedal, I will go to guitar center and try out the Metal Zone, Metal Core, and Metal Muff.
Quote by mikeeey
lol well now I'm back to square 1, not sure what to get once again, cuz I have heard good things about the metal zone, but I've heard that the Metal core is the Metal Zone's Successor.

The metal muff is generally considered to be far superior to the metalcore/zone, but there will always be exceptions to that (just look at the MG and spider fanboys)..
I'd take the cube, see if it's heavy enough for you without a pedal, and go from there If you find you still need a pedal, i'd go with the metal muff
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Last edited by cmakkidguitar at Jul 27, 2008,