ok, so i'm about to start writing a solo. my chord progression is just a basic power chord type thing going from G5 to D5 to C5. my question is, should i just stick to good old pentatonic scales or should I experiment with something a little less popular, such as a harmonic minor or melodic minor scale?
depends what your going for. obviously most people enjoy hearing major scale and minor scale.

all I do to write a solo is throw together a series of licks ive had for years and add some imrpov. Record the chord progression, then play over it over and over, and use your ear to tell what sounds good.
Hai 2 u
Well if you're going the pentatonic w-hore method you might wanna rape the wah pedal too.
Just improvise over those chords till you find something that you might want to add to the song.
Quote by Andron17
Have a good structure.

are you saying that my chord structure isn't good? or are you just trying to confuse me by being vague?

thanks Roads and Alexi. I'll try that.
You do what sounds best to fit the song. How do YOU want the solo to sound? If you want it blues-ish stick to pentatonics, if you want it melodic, stick to the scales. Don't think about what notes to use; think of what you can make of the notes.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
You can't go wrong with the good ol' augumented arpeggio.

hmmm, never thought of that. thanks for the idea.
Quote by ortrigger
ok, so i'm about to start writing a solo. my chord progression is just a basic power chord type thing going from G5 to D5 to C5. my question is, should i just stick to good old pentatonic scales or should I experiment with something a little less popular, such as a harmonic minor or melodic minor scale?

Experiment, listen, choose.