Me and two of my friends were eating pizza today and we had a great idea. We were talking about all kind of musicians and we somehow started discussing about these two guys who tour around Austria/Germany and get 800€ for a 4 hour gig (of course they are professionels) and I assume that they have at least 3 or 4 gigs a week. They play in bars and jazz clubs n' stuff so it's all laid back and really cool.

Now, each one of them gets 400€ for a gig, that's 100€ an hour and that is ****ing sweet.
So we started thinking about maybe doing that for a living when we get older.
Like start playing as a side earning when we are at a university (I would kinda like to study music) and see how it works out and if that gives us a stiffy then we'll stick with it and just play gigs all over the place. Just some laid down bluesy stuff.
My playing right now is nowhere good enough to earn money with but when I start going to a university I'll be about 19/20 so that's another 4/5 years to hone my skills and when I'm done with that I'll have had another 4/5 years of playing and then I think that me and my friend would be ready to get teh **** started.
I was thinking about starting to play keyboard next to guitar also.

CHILDHOOD DREAMS FTW!

wadda ya guys think?
can't hurt to try
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
give it a go. i had my first paid show yesterday, but we walked out with $50, split 4 ways. covered almost all my bar tab. but honestly, dont get into it for the money. your setting yourself up for failure. get into it for the love of playing live, and the money will just be a nice bonus. cause $50 was kinda chicken scraps, but someone wanted to PAY US for playing. hell yeah.
Chris024 pretty much described what to expect as a band just starting out - especially if you are young and/or original.

There can be really decent money in playing gigs. It's a tough road, though, full of balancing business with pleasure. Weddings and corporate gigs pay really well. You'll walk out of there with a few hundred in your pocket for only a few hours work - exactly what you're describing.

Problem is.... how many hours do you work in a week? Solution = hustle, hustle, hustle.... you've got to be out there pounding away to get those gigs. Of course, weddings are generally only on weekends. If you're really, really, really lucky you can round out your week with corporate events.

Problem#2 is..... you want to play Disturbed, not Neil Diamond. Solution = suck it up. Don't bite the hand that feeds. You know what side your bread is buttered on. Some people call it selling out. Professional musicians call it making a living. Smile and sing along.... "Sweeee-eeet Car-o-liiiine.... ba DA-ba-ba...." Sure, don't laugh all the way to the bank, but at least all the way to the grocery store.

Geez.... that's still only a few gigs a week. Sounds sweet as a teenager, but eventually you have to take on the real world. "when you're an adult, it's no cliche.... it's the truth..." (go ahead... identify that quote... )

So how do you round it out....well....

If you go to school for music and get a classical background, you can open yourself up for solo/duo gigs outside of your wedding band for other functions, corporate events, etc. People will hire a classical guitarist for whatever. Since there's nobody to share the money with, you do okay. Of course.... still no Disturbed. You're still sucking it up playing some version of Hotel California 'by request' (or even not....) right along side your Sor, Tarrega, Dowland, etc.

That gives you a couple more shows.... but you still need a 'real job' as an adult - that is, one that pays for rent/mortgage, food, car, etc. The poverty line for a family of four in the USA (I'm not American either, but they provide a handy bench mark) is $21, 200. For an individual, it is $10 400. That's about a thousand a month... just to live above the poverty line. Another point of comparison... take an average city.... Cleveland Ohio. Rent for an average apartment seems to be about $600. Then food, phone, insurance, gas, hydro, internet, spending, etc. Yikes.

So wadda ya do? Well... you can rent yourself out to bands as a hired guy. Need a guitarist? I'm your guy! I'll do it for $XXX. Artistic freedom? Nope. Now you're totally selling your soul. More Sweet Caroline. Maybe some Shania Twain or Dwight Yokum. Maybe some Bob Seger and Tom Petty. Who knows, really? Of course, you have to be able to sit down and learn these tunes on very short notice, and know them well enough to gig on them with one rehearsal if you're lucky.

Of course, you can't always count on those. Take on a few students (remember that hustle thing?) to help round things out.

So, now you're above the poverty line. You've got sporadic hours that seem to pretty reliably fill up your evenings and weekends, and see you working quite late. At least you get to sleep in. Or not. Because tomorrow you have to learn some Green Day and Blink 182 and U2 for a cover band on Friday, and you don't have all day because some kid is coming over at 4:30 for his lesson and another at 5:30, and then you have to eat and start getting ready to head out for your gigs.

And then at some point, you have your OWN kids and family to work into that crazy schedule!!

Still sound like fun? If it does, you have what it takes to be a professional musician. If it sounds pretty crappy, then..... keep music as a hobby. Or incorporate it into some other career path. (that's what I did....)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^He's right y'know
And also, that 800€ for a 4 hour gig? It's not all profit, by the time they've paid for their total expenses, it's probably more like two thirds or even only half of it that ends up being pure profit.
Also, a 'four hour' gig? Jezus. My throat feels sore the day after a gig that lasted just an hour and a half. Playing a four hour gig is seriously hard work, and if you are doing that four or five times a week, then you deserve to get paid well. But the sad truth is, it doesn't usualy make any difference if you play one, two, three or four hours, you'll generaly end up making roughly the same amount of money per gig, so that extra work will more often than not be all for nothing.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by chris024
give it a go. i had my first paid show yesterday, but we walked out with $50, split 4 ways. covered almost all my bar tab. but honestly, dont get into it for the money. your setting yourself up for failure. get into it for the love of playing live, and the money will just be a nice bonus. cause $50 was kinda chicken scraps, but someone wanted to PAY US for playing. hell yeah.

I wouldn't take a job if I didn't like it.
I almost flunked school this year because I was mostly playing guitar/sleeping.
Quote by axemanchris

MASSIVE TEXT WALL (I actually read it all)

sounds ****ing awesome.

and no, I do not want to play any Disturbed/Metal/Rock, whatever. More melodic, chilly, bluesy stuff.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I wouldn't take a job if I didn't like it.

if your refering to the show i played, thinking i didnt like it, your dead wrong. honestly man, it was better than the first time i got laid. i got paid to do something i love. i dont care that it was almost nothing. it was the first step into something i hope changes my life. ive already setup anopther show there for thursday thats free. no money. its about getting people who want to see you, having a venue that wants you to come back, about going out there and hearing people cheering, clapping, dancing, whatever at music YOU made. its such a great feeling. i'd pay $1000 to have that feeling, but i invested 2-3 months of my time(with the band just at practice, years of playing) and the payoff is hearing a whole crowd of people chanting ONE MORE SONG after we went through our set, played 2 more songs we didnt even talk about trying to play since they are about 2 practices from being finished, having to look at each other and say "f*ck yeah guys, good show, lets give em a jam to end on"
Quote by chris024
if your refering to the show i played, thinking i didnt like it, your dead wrong. honestly man, it was better than the first time i got laid. i got paid to do something i love. i dont care that it was almost nothing. it was the first step into something i hope changes my life. ive already setup anopther show there for thursday thats free. no money. its about getting people who want to see you, having a venue that wants you to come back, about going out there and hearing people cheering, clapping, dancing, whatever at music YOU made. its such a great feeling. i'd pay $1000 to have that feeling, but i invested 2-3 months of my time(with the band just at practice, years of playing) and the payoff is hearing a whole crowd of people chanting ONE MORE SONG after we went through our set, played 2 more songs we didnt even talk about trying to play since they are about 2 practices from being finished, having to look at each other and say "f*ck yeah guys, good show, lets give em a jam to end on"

That's the life.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
sounds ****ing awesome.

and no, I do not want to play any Disturbed/Metal/Rock, whatever. More melodic, chilly, bluesy stuff.

Glad you read it all!

Okay..... take out Disturbed and replace it with "melodic, chilly bluesy stuff..."

Obviously, my Disturbed example was entirely arbitrary.

But the main point was simply that, to make money, you HAVE to be prepared to play stuff that isn't exactly what you would otherwise choose to play. You might even have to play a few things you hate. The key is broadening your horizons so that you like a wide palate of stuff so that there won't be TOO much stuff out there that you'll hate playing.

By extension, it may also mean NOT playing stuff that you'd really LOVE to play. I'm a huge fan of Helix. Unfortunately, they are one of those bands where only THEY can play those songs to THEIR crowds. Generally, audiences otherwise don't 'get it.' I also really like *earlier* Goo Goo Dolls. Very limited range of audiences for that, though, as it is generally their later stuff that has been real chart success. (outside of Name....)

If that still sounds awesome.... then good on ya!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris

second, smaller text wall (I read it!)

out of the 3 songs that I can play, I only wanted to learn 1 of them
Thats already 2/3rds!

I more into mainstream bands ( AC/DC <-- everyone loves AC/DC! ) so my chances of getting to play something that I want to are somewhat higher I guess.
Sounds good then!

[/wall of text] :P

CT