Can you guys help me find a good site for learning the caged system? I tried on UG and the lesson here confused me. I did have a good site a while back but now i cant find it. And once i learn the scale shapes, if i start on a different note in one of the shapes will i be playing in another mode?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Why do Verizon workers show up to work drunk all the time?
Cus they have more bars in more places lolololol
Let's say you have a C chord form.

|--0---|
|--1---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Now let's say you want to play it higher on the neck. You take the chord form that follows C in the word CAGED, or A, and play an A chord form off of the C tonic.

A Chord Form

|--0---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|

A Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--3---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Do you see how the shape is the same? Now lets say you wanted to play a C chord higher up the neck. In the word CAGED, G comes after A.

G Chord Form

|--3---|
|--3---|
|--0---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|

G Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--7---|
|--8---|

The next logical step is a C chord in E chord form.

E Chord Form

|--0---|
|--0---|
|--1---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|

E Chord Form off of C tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--9---|
|--10--|
|--10--|
|--8---|

And then a C chord in D chord form.

D Chord Form

|--2---|
|--3---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|
|--X---|

D Chord Form off of C tonic

|--12--|
|--13--|
|--12--|
|--10--|
|--X---|
|--X---|

This can be applied to any chord, anywhere on the neck. Simply find out what chord form it is in, and move up the neck with the chord form that follows in the word CAGED.

Quote by solrac94
And once i learn the scale shapes, if i start on a different note in one of the shapes will i be playing in another mode?

To put it simply, if you start on a different note than the tonic in one of the shapes, you will only be in a different mode if you play that note as 'do'. I think that's correct?
Thanks for the answer, bu that wasnt what i was asking. I already know my chord shapes and how to apply them. What i want to know is the different scale shapes. Like the C maj chord scale shape, Amaj chord scale shape, etc. that you use for the different scales around the neck.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Why do Verizon workers show up to work drunk all the time?
Cus they have more bars in more places lolololol
Well that's not the caged chord system.

That's learning your major and minor scales and scale shapes.

I hope somebody reads all that typing and benefits...?
This lesson explains the CAGED system and how it applies to scales. However, learn the underlying theory behind these scales via my sig.

This is some other information on scales, but make sure you understand that link in my sig!

Cyberfret.com generally has some good stuff.