I've been on the guitar for a little under 4 months now, and I guess i am decent for the time i've put into it. Although I have been working on minimum movement for a while and i'm having problems. No matter how slow I go, I cannot keep my pinky as close to the fretboard as my other three fingers. Is there a way to fix that?

I know practice makes perfect, but when I cannot do it even when I go as slow as possible, I do not know how I can start practicing it correctly.
Its because your pinky is weak. Just do some exercises and in time it will be proficient.
Let me guess...are you playing scales? Just go slower and try to keep your hand relaxed. Also, have you strengthened your pinky up with hammer-ons and trills (legato exercises basically)? That'll help you get some control over it if you haven't used it enough already. Just give it some time.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
So strength effects movement? Then I will continue my scales an hour per day until I get it down
Quote by Baasoromyuu
Let me guess...are you playing scales? Just go slower and try to keep your hand relaxed. Also, have you strengthened your pinky up with hammer-ons and trills (legato exercises basically)? That'll help you get some control over it if you haven't used it enough already. Just give it some time.

Yep, using scales. and I guess I should have mentioned that, about you telling me to relax my hand... its either I am as relax as possible and my pinky comes about... 1/2 inch off the fretboard, or I tense up and I can keep it down. and I know I do not want tension...

and yes, i've been using my pinky as much as possible since the week I started guitar, although I can still tell its alot weaker than my other fingers.