Okay, so I've been experimenting a LOT with string brand/gauge... and now I hear that my intonation has suffered dearly.

I'm wielding a Schecter C1 XXX if this matters in the long run.

but to intonate properly, all I do is hook the guitar up to a tuner, tune the string on the open note, then hit the 12th fret harmonic and turn the screw under the string on the bridge and continue the trial and error process until both the open and the 12th fret harmonic are in perfect tune, right? [Jeez, long ass question]

Is there anything else I should take note in? Guitar/method wise?

Thanks in advance.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
You tune the open string first, then tune the 12 fret(fretted) by adjusting the bridge.
You are first upposed to first tune the 12th fret HARMONIC to the right pitch, and then play the FRETTED 12th fret. Then depending on if the fretted note is sharp or flat in comparison to the perfectly tuned 12th fret HARMONIC, you would make your adjustments.
^ No problem! I just recently had to learn how to do it so I could intonate my new Fender Jaguar HH. The way the factory set it was quite a bit off, so I figured I might as well learn how to do it the right way to keep my guitar sounding great as it should.
Yes, the 12th fret harmonic is going to be your control.

A tip to doing this: if the 12th fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic then you move the saddle forward, towards the nut. If the 12th fretted note is sharp then you move it backwards away from the nut. Remember, F for flat = forward. That's how I always remember it.
After all this time and after all of the posts concerning this, you'd think someone would actually read and learn from them. All of you above me are wrong except for hippiebass, and he still got it wrong partially.
The intonation of a guitar is the ability of it to play in tune across the entire fretboard at every fret, every note. How it's adjusted depends on where on the neck the notes are sour. It could be that the nut needs compensating, or the bridge saddle(s).
How you check it: Tune the entire guitar to standard concert pitch, EADGBe. THIS will be your control, not the 12th harmonic of those strings. That harmonic is 1 octave up from open, and guess what, so is the 12th fret that you are comparing it to. How can you make a decent comparison when you are not comparing anything different, since both notes are the same? So, pluck the open low E string, take note of it's tuned state. Is it dead on, slightly flat or slightly sharp. Where ever it is, just take note of that. Then fret the 12th of that same string. Again take note of the tuning of that note. Now make your comparison. You want the two to match. If the fretted 12th is sharper than the open string note, move the saddle away from the fretboard for that string, if it's flat compared to open, move the saddle closer to the fretboard. Retune open, then compare again. Repeat as necessary until both notes match.
Dan Earliwine actually changed his tune(no pun intended, or is there?) about intonating recently. He was always of the mind to perform the 12th harmonic vs. the 12th fretted and adjust from there. But you see, those two notes are at the same octave as each other since they are both performed at the 12th fret. In order to make a valid comparison of notes, you need that octave spread between the notes, and you get that by comparing open notes to fretted 12ths. Not only all that, but you play a lot of the music on a guitar in the open position right? Why not use it as the basis for intonation? I've performed intonation adjustments on different guitars using different methods of checking, and the open vs. fretted 12th is the most accurate, yielding the best results.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Jul 28, 2008,