I am shopping for a laptop to take to college with me. I'm looking at this Toshiba laptop and debating purchasing it. My gf has a Toshiba and it's a really good computer. Could anyone tell me if this is a good buy or not? For $749.00 from overstock.com:

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Manufacturer Part Number: PSLB1U-02F01F
Manufacturer Website Address: www.toshiba.com
Product Line: Satellite Pro
Product Name: Satellite Pro L300-EZ1004V Notebook
Product Type: Notebook
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 2GHz
Bus Speed: 800MHz
Chipset: Intel GM965 Express
Standard Memory: 1GB
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Standard: DDR2-667/PC2-5300
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm
Optical Drive: DVD-Writer (Double-layer) - DVD-RAM/±R/±RW (Integrated)
Display Screen: 15.4" WXGA Widescreen Active Matrix TFT Color LCD with TruBrite
Graphics Controller: Intel GMA X3100 251MB DDR2 SDRAM Shared
Network: Fast Ethernet IEEE 802.3u
Keyboard: Standard Size
Ports: 1 x RJ-11 Modem
Operating System: Windows Vista Business with SP1
Batteries: 1 x Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) 4000mAh Standard Battery
Color: Titanium Silver
Dimensions: 1.48" Height x 14.3" Width x 10.5" Depth - Height from Rear, 1.3" Height x 14.3" Width x 10.5" Depth - Height from Front
Green Compliance: Yes
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority: RoHS

All I will be using it for research and writing reports and the sort. I may also be putting quite a bit of extra stuff on it since I'm a CIS major. And also since I am a CIS major I do know that these specs will be quite enough (for me), I am worried about things such as battery life/reliability of Overstock.com.
In school, they told me, "Practice makes perfect". Then they said, "Nobody's perfect", so I quit practicing.
i would suggest keeping an eye out on websites such as woot.com, slickdeals.net, and bargainjacks.com. you can usually find some great deals on there as long as you can be patient. i have seen similar laptops ( some better some worse) around the $400-$500 range.
Dont buy anything with 1gb of ram and vista. I use a mac but for CIS I spend a lot of time on linux and vista. Vista is not as big of mess as its claimed to be as long as you know how to configure an OS. Just make sure whatever you buy has 2 or 3gb or if you want a 64 bit OS and dont foresee any compatibility issues get one with 4gb. I work at a major comp retailer in Canada and 749 can get you 3gb and a intel c2d easy. Just make sure you research carefully. GL
looks almost perfect for what you said you are gonna use it for, but there is just one downfall to this setup...

Only 1 GB of DDR2 ram.

Vista is gonna eat this up leaving you with the crumbs, resulting in poor system stability, and program security as things will often crash, i would recommend getting a system with AT LEAST 2gb of ram. maximum of 4 for overkill.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
Processor is alright, but 1gb RAM with Vista is a no-no. I'd go for 3gb, that way you won't need a 64 bit version of vista and it will have enough memory to handle vista as well as all your tasks.

Edit: Have a search for a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PA2548, it's what I have, and as far as I know they are selling them relatively cheap for what is inside. 3gb RAM, AMD Turion 2x2ghz, 320gb hard drive.

I got mine for £500 which is about $990, and it's awesome.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Last edited by Metalcredge at Jul 27, 2008,
its sounds all right I sugest getting a new battery though i have a dell inspiron and I have to have it pluged in all the time.
what computer would u suggest for between 600-800>
In school, they told me, "Practice makes perfect". Then they said, "Nobody's perfect", so I quit practicing.
Oh! Also, i forgot... the reviews for the satellite laptops, say that the battery is terrible! I just remembered that's why I didn't buy one.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
if you do get that upgrade the RAM(memory) to 4GB (or at least 2-3GB) cause vista sucks with only 1GB. But get a macbook, they are discounted if you are a student and you get a free ipod (8GB touch or 8GB nano).
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
if you do get that upgrade the RAM(memory) to 4GB (or at least 2-3GB) cause vista sucks with only 1GB. But get a macbook, they are discounted if you are a student and you get a free ipod (8GB touch or 8GB nano).

Where can I go to get this.....mac? And can I install Microsoft Works 2007 on it?
Best Buy is having a really good sale on a dell computer this week, it's $500 for a computer that would normally cost $650-700.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878002&type=product&id=1210379087572
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Best Buy is having a really good sale on a dell computer this week, it's $500 for a computer that would normally cost $650-700.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878002&type=product&id=1210379087572

I work there, id personally if you want high performance stick to a intel c2d, the
pentium dual cores are the cheapest on the market pretty much, just look for 2-3 gb of ddr2 and a c2d t5000+ and youll have a very solid machine...gl man
Quote by d_byrne23
I work there, id personally if you want high performance stick to a intel c2d, the
pentium dual cores are the cheapest on the market pretty much, just look for 2-3 gb of ddr2 and a c2d t5000+ and youll have a very solid machine...gl man

They aren't that bad are they? I was also looking at this for myself, I'd only be using it for web browsing, playing music and photoshop. How does it compare to the AMD Turion X2?

Also, a little off topic, how's it like working there? I'm seriously considering leaving my job and going there.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
honestly its great, the best part is the flexibility of hours and scheduling. I mean I go to work and I tell people what computer to buy and i repeat that over and over until my shifts done, its a good job to get you through school. I would personally take a AMD TL-60 anyday over a pentium dual core in terms of performance. However if its strictly for school and youll mainly just be doing assignments/browsing the net just get it then, and make sure it has wireless N, big upgrade from g. gl
Always buy your computer stuff from www.newegg.com

As others have said, 1GB memory and Vista just do not go together.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
+1 to the guy that said macbook.

Go on Apple Website, there's the link "Buy a mac for College, get a free iPod." If you have a vista/XP cd, you can install it if you have Boot Camp (I'm not sure if it comes with the regular macbook, but I had it on my Macbook Pro). That software lets you reboot your mac with the windows operating system, which is great for compatibility issues.

Costs more money, but it's worth it on the long run.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by d_byrne23
honestly its great, the best part is the flexibility of hours and scheduling. I mean I go to work and I tell people what computer to buy and i repeat that over and over until my shifts done, its a good job to get you through school. I would personally take a AMD TL-60 anyday over a pentium dual core in terms of performance. However if its strictly for school and youll mainly just be doing assignments/browsing the net just get it then, and make sure it has wireless N, big upgrade from g. gl

Flexibility would be great for me. Can you like tell the managers what days you need off in advance and pick your days? And how's the pay, I'm barely getting above minimum at my place and that's why I want to leave.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
pays good, im well above min wage here in ontario so im sure you would be too