Just get a bass. The scale will be so off and it would be too much work to get something nice in the end.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
don't bother. Just buy a bass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah the scale would be messed up, and a guitar neck I don't think can handle that much tension. I may be wrong though.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You would have to: buy a new bridge, reposition the bridge, change the neck pocket size, fill in original pickup routes, route for new pickups, buy or make a new neck, get new tuners, and refinish it. In conclusion, it's not worth it.
A bass has a 34 inch scale a guitar has 24 to 25.5. So it would need a new neck and the bridge moved. The only thing you would really be able to save is the body. You could try different strings like a set for a 7 string and leave the high e string off.
Quote by Tackleberry
A bass has a 34 inch scale a guitar has 24 to 25.5. So it would need a new neck and the bridge moved. The only thing you would really be able to save is the body. You could try different strings like a set for a 7 string and leave the high e string off.

No you couldn't. The strings wouldn't be long enough. Also if you used a 7 set they would be extremely floppy tuned to a bass.
I fancy putting the neck off my Squier Bronco onto a 1/2size strat copy I have, just to have a bass with 3-way pickup switching.
I wasnt saying tune it differently tune it normally just use the top 6 strings of a 7 string set.
The frequency wouldn't be low enough if you just used a 7 string. Just buy a bass, it'll save you alot of time and money.