Poll: Who is your music focused towards?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who is your music focused towards?
Completely for the listening pleasure of my audience.
0 0%
Mostly for the listening pleasure of my audience but a bit for me too.
8 20%
Mostly for just me but i do keep in mind to entertain my listeners.
22 54%
Just for me. Don't give a crap about any listeners. They can like it if they want to or not.
11 27%
Voters: 41.
So this one is for ye UG songwriters. Who do you write your music for? Let me elaborate that a little.
Do you write your music having a certain target audience in your mind you'ld like appeal to n entertain with your music, when you write your music.
Or
Do you just write your music plainly for your own pleasure. To just express your emotions and feelings. Not really caring about whether your song/lyrics/music would appeal to your audience or not.

Or in plain words, is your music for the people who'ld listen to it or is it just for you.
Or if its a complex mix of both, who is your music mainly focused towards, yourself or your listeners.
When I write lyrics, I always try to think of it as what the reader/listener might think if he/she read it.

I want the listeners to get something out of the lyrics instead of it just killing their time...

EDIT: I write it for me too, but I want the listeners to get something out of it.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Jul 27, 2008,
myself... most of my songs are to relieve my own stress... they can either be funny or depressing... and being that ive been on an acoustic kick i guess it'd have a larger female reach than male...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I make music for myself. It's my sincere hope that other people will enjoy it, but I don't lose any sleep over it either.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i make it for myself, cuz i like writing songs.
but hey if i can entertain somebody at the same time, its cool.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
I do want people to like my music, but it also matters to me.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I mostly do it for me. It's kind of a theraputic thing, and it just makes me feel good.

I don't even really have that many listeners, anyway.
The.
I dont have any listeners, I write my stuff for me, and no one else.

HOWEVER

Normally the stuff I write for me is slow, melodic, and quite beautiful (according to my friends So I guess they get enjoyment out of it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Second option.

I want to make popular music, but I have my own aspirations in doing so.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well to say about me, i'm actually working on two bands.

One is my solo project which is mainly all about me and my thoughts n feelings. The music is sorta slightly experimental n artistic too. Though i do keep in mind to make sure people can enjoy listening to it too... Mostly.

The other one is more for fun sorta thing. Its the full band where i'm just the guitarist (and a lot of background work). Its got more of a mainstream sound. Basically for us and the crowd to have fun listening to. So this one is more focused towards getting the crowed charged up n having a fun time making the music n playing it.
When I was in a band mostly for the audience. I dont' go in for this 'music is my ART and if people don't get it it's THEIR FAUlt' thing.

Music for me at a gig is about people and having fun so I would always try and make our songs danceable and fun. It worked for a fair while and we got som decent gigs, then we got tired of it.

Now on my own I simply make music to expand my understanding of the forms I enjoy, I write things to better understand and apply harmony and certain ideas and then try and coalesce this into something I find vaguely listen-able.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Well, I'd say I'm a little of both. I will make up whatever comes to mind that I enjoy, or I'll sit and think of something that will be enjoyable to other people. This mainly occurs because my favorite kind of music is the guitar solo kind of songs, like stuff by paul gilbert and Satch, so I'll write some like fast melodic song/ riff. Other times, I'll just think of a nice emotional chord progression and put some feel into it.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Since I'm not performing publicly at the moment - haven't in like a year - any song I compose is completely based upon what I want to hear and what mood I want my music to symbolize.
3rd option. In the beginning it was just about me making the music that I liked to hear. Then when I joined a band I started to think more and more of what other people would like to listen to and kind of incorporate that into my writing.

I still mainly write stuff that I would listen to though.
I know that I'm not a very good songwriter, but I am a funny guy in general, so I'll write songs that are funny and hope other people like it. I guess it's about a 50/50 mix.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.